My Family

by alice.in.wonderland 209 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

To those that have accused me of insensitivity about abuse:

My father and his brother and sisters were raised by a man who became rich in the 1950s. He owned a construction company during a housing boom in a metropolitan area. For whatever reason he became a cruel man and started beating up on his wife and teenage sons, for how long I don't know.

My Dad became one of Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1960s and married my Mom shortly after. He was genuinely a good man but his experiences as a teenager evidently had some long term effects as he beat up on my mother for a few years while he was an elder (they were divorced before I was 5 and he had to step down). When he married his second wife there were some problems, but he got his temper under some control. One night however, he lost his temper and cut loose on my sister. She immediately left the home, called her/my (real) mother and she picked her up.

She told the elders about the indecent at a congregation in that area. The elders there, contacted the elders at my father's Kingdom Hall. The elders at our congregation immediately showed up at our front door and questioned my Dad. After they left, my father explained to me why what is physical abuse, “isn't” physical abuse. In other words, I was taught to lie. So, when the elders returned and questioned me about the alleged abuse, that's what I did. Upon becoming older, I understood I was manipulated into lying so I confronted my Dad. He refused to meet with the elders, so I have had nothing to do with him ever since (active JW). He floats around freely in the family as 75% of my family are JWs.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thank you for sharing that Alice, sorry that you had to be put in a situation where there was abuse and lies

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm very sorry that you had to experience this.

• tec
    tec

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, Alice, and say that I'm sorry for what happened with your father. I'm sure it was very confusing as a child.

You have been accused of being insensitive about abuse because you don't believe what people have to say about their experiences and so you dismiss their pain quite easily. If you say there's no proof to believe them, then you are, in effect, calling them liars. You don't give them the benefit of your doubt - and if you think about that, it mocks and diminishes the pain of those people who are telling the truth - the victims - and stirs up the protective instincts of those people who care about them.

Tammy

• tec
    tec

I'm also glad you shared. It takes courage to share your past and the pain that accompanies it.

Tammy

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I feel as much sympathy and belief for you as you have for others here.

Palmtree

• StAnn
    StAnn

Alice Rachel, I'm sorry but you don't get a pass from me. You have accused everyone on here who stated they were sexually abused of lying to make the WTS look bad. I've yet to receive an apology from you for the things you wrote about my experiences.

So, your father beat up on other people and convinced you to lie to cover for him. Wah. Then when your dad refused to meet with the elders, you began shunning him. You didn't shun him for beating up your mother, brothers, or stepmother but you had no problem shunning him for refusing to bend his knee to the Almighty Elders.

Oh, my heart just bleeds for you, feeling you had to lie for your daddy! Poor baby. But when I was raped at 10 years old, you said it was my fault for not reporting it. Hmmm, apples to apples, your situation isn't so bad, is it, Chick?

• Twitch
    Twitch

What Palmtree & StAnn said. Alice, can you prove these claims? Was the abuse reported to the authorities and the perp convicted? Where can I find docs online to support these allegations? If there's no proof, then this is all bullshit. Considering what some have endured here, your little play for sympathy and appeal to the trust of decent people is a joke. Poor baby. Some may have sympathy for you but I know your kind. Reap what you've sown.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"Alice Rachel, I'm sorry but you don't get a pass from me. You have accused everyone on here who stated they were sexually abused of lying to make the WTS look bad. I've yet to receive an apology from you for the things you wrote about my experiences.

So, your father beat up on other people and convinced you to lie to cover for him. Wah. Then when your dad refused to meet with the elders, you began shunning him. You didn't shun him for beating up your mother, brothers, or stepmother but you had no problem shunning him for refusing to bend his knee to the Almighty Elders.

Oh, my heart just bleeds for you, feeling you had to lie for your daddy! Poor baby. But when I was raped at 10 years old, you said it was my fault for not reporting it. Hmmm, apples to apples, your situation isn't so bad, is it, Chick?"

There's quite a bit of information disseminated on this forum. Sorry if I don't recall, but I would not expect a 10 year old to know what to do in such a situation. I expected the unsympathetic responses. So far, I haven't blamed anyone except myself or my dad.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Sorry if I don't recall, but I would not expect a 10 year old to know what to do in such a situation.

Actually, Alice, you DID expect a 10 year old to be responsible in that situation. Argued quite vehemently and insinuated that St.Ann was lying about the whole thing.

Sad that you don't recall her story or the hurtful things you said to her. There are real people behind these avatars, you know.

I notice there is still no apology.

Nor did you take the time to look up St.Ann's posts to find out what her story is and your insensitive response to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit