The EVOLUTION thread!

by BurnTheShips 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

No, I don't believe the world is flat. No, I don't believe the earth in only 6,000 years old. And, no, I don't think the earth or the sun is at the centre of the universe. On the other hand, I REFUSE to believe in abiogenesis, and when it comes to the question of macro/micro evolution and the fossil record I think "something is rotten in Denmark".

I am suspicious of BOTH sides of the debate. I think that extremists are crazy, no matter which position they side with. I hate how people run around yelling EVOLUTION IS A FACT, EVOLUTION IS A FACT, when it's still just a THEORY. They then shout down anyone who questions this "commonly held wisdom". On the other hand, it sickens me to think of how various church fathers persecuted anyone who dared to question their biblical interpretations of how the world came to be and how the universe works.

In times of old, people were burned at the stake for daring to have a different opinion from those in power in the mighty halls of the church. Nowadays, there is an oppressive regime developing in the halls of academia. Anyone who differs with "politically correct" left-wing thinking is promptly shouted down for their "thought crimes", viciously ridiculed and silenced. Any biologist who dares to question the holy tenets of evolution is promptly shouted down and stripped of his/her rank. Believe it or not, there is fear and terror in the halls of academia. Universities, it seems, are now the new temples, the new houses of worship.

My biggest problem with extremism is how it stifles debate and honest discussion. Those who shout down and persecute those who's opinions differ from their own are guilty of the most heinous crimes against intellectual honesty, no matter which side they stand on. Are we going to start burning people at the stake again?

Evolution is not a fact, and neither is Creationism. There has to be a middle ground somewhere...

V665

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I hate how people run around yelling EVOLUTION IS A FACT, EVOLUTION IS A FACT, when it's still just a THEORY.

(edit) nevermind.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

SBC, what I don't like about evolution being proclaimed a "fact" is that it's like evolution is being held up as an end-all be-all. I don't like how those who question it are constantly belittled and worse. I don't like how people get shouted down when they don't uphold evolution as an absolute. Just sayin'...

V665

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

EVOLUTION IS A FACT, when it's still just a THEORY.

So is gravity. Just because you don't know how theories work doesn't mean they don't.

Nowadays, there is an oppressive regime developing in the halls of academia.

Science and research always move forward with new ideas and new data.

Any biologist who dares to question the holy tenets of evolution is promptly shouted down and stripped of his/her rank.

Patently untrue. However, if, say, a geologist decided the earth was flat and went around preaching in the face of evidence and proof, just like the biologist, his or her understanding of the subject matter would, of course, be called into question.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    On the other hand, I REFUSE to believe in abiogenesis

And why is that?

and when it comes to the question of macro/micro evolution and the fossil record I think "something is rotten in Denmark".

Would you kindly elaborate?

And by the way, I am not an extremist, although I am not sure what "extremist" would mean in this context.

EVOLUTION IS A FACT, EVOLUTION IS A FACT, when it's still just a THEORY.

So is the theory of gravitation, or relativity, or thermodynamics. Like these, the theory of evolution has been demonstrated multiple times through observational evidence. In better words, it has not been falsified. The same goes for the germ theory of diseases, and so on.

But rather than get into that, I'd like to know your reasoning on the two questions I ask above.

BTS

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

SBC, what I don't like about evolution being proclaimed a "fact" is that it's like evolution is being held up as an be-all end-all.

It's not. If you think it is, you need to understand it better and separate science from media.

I don't like how those who question it are constantly belittled and worse.

Then, rather than come up with ridiculous ideas that don't fit observed fact and dismissing established science, they should come up with a theory that DOES fit the facts as well as or better than evolution.

I don't like how people get shouted down when they don't uphold evolution as an absolute

Evolution isn't an absolute. The study of it, much like the subject itself, is a work in progress.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

EVOLUTION IS A FACT, when it's still just a THEORY.

So is gravity. Just because you don't know how theories work doesn't mean they don't.

NVL, I have been blessed with information from outside of our world, and the theory of gravity is a bunch of bulls&it. They say the truth is that "Earth sucks" and that keeps us grounded. And my information is factual because "they" said it, despite the lack of witnesses to the facts.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Now folks, let's not shout down Vampire.

BTS

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Oh OTWO, you crack me up.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I AM SORRY I AM UNABLE TO CONTROL THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit