The EVOLUTION thread!

by BurnTheShips 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

It doesn't mean that I or anyone else has to like it.

No, it doesn't.

Extremism is still a form of oppression, no matter which side it comes from.

Not putting up with idiots that refuse to educate themselves an then decry the people doing the real work doesn't qualify as extremism.

Science is not the tower of purity so many people treat it as.

No, it isn't, but is IS the primary thing that has moved knowledge, technology and the quality of life in a forward direction.

It's an unruly child that needs to be constantly supervised or it descends into madness and takes us all down with it.

How so?

I hope you all respect my right to say what I believe in as I do yours...

Of course. You have to understand, agreeing you have a right to say something doesn't mean it won't be put to the test.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    Who do you think is not allowed to ask questions?

I think you answered your own question NVL (sort of)...

If it works, it will move forward, if not, their idea, like many others, will be tossed. If they are afraid of that then they are in the wrong field.

Scientists (and people in general) should be able to present their views without fear of constant attack and vicious mockery, which goes beyond heathy debate...

V665

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    It's an unruly child that needs to be constantly supervised or it descends into madness and takes us all down with it.
    How so?

How so? Let's see... Eugenics, the atomic bomb, genetic splicing, etc. Need I go on? These have all resulted in terrible crimes against humanity.

V665

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Eugenics, the atomic bomb, genetic splicing, etc.

None of these things is the fault of scientific knowledge. Knowledge is neither good nor evil. Actually, strike that. Knowledge is always good.

The evils you are imagining are the fault of what people do with knowledge. I can invent a hammer, is it somehow my fault that you use it to beat your brother over the head?

However, I don't see what your issue with genetic splicing is.

BTS

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    However, I don't see what your issue with genetic splicing is.

Well, how about biological weapons, for one? Scientists are wading into deep waters. Messing around with things they don't have a sufficient understanding of, and doing so with near reckless abandon. I fear the monstrosities that might escape the labs some day, if they haven't already. I don't like men acting like (and thinking that they are) gods...

V665

• Gerard
    Gerard

Dear Vampire, please get the terminology right:

Evolution does not attempt to explain the ORIGIN of life. It studies the change in the inherited traits of organisms through successive generations. Evolution is a 100% accepted and measurable fact. Get over it.

The theory of evolution is not a debatable fact, but the "origin" of life. Did humans evolve from single-cell organisms? Nobody knows.

While we're at it, Charles Darwin did not publish an article on the "origin of life" but the speciation (diferentiation) of already living organisms, therefore the title "origin of species".

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Gerard,

You're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say that evolution and abiogenesis were one and the same, but I'm suspicious of evolution nonetheless. I'm suspicious of pretty well any extremist point of view no matter what side it comes from. There ARE extremists among the evolutionist ranks who go as far as saying that life originated from non living matter. IMHO that calls the whole thing into question...

V665

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Well, how about biological weapons, for one? Scientists are wading into deep waters. Messing around with things they don't have a sufficient understanding of, and doing so with near reckless abandon. I fear the monstrosities that might escape the labs some day, if they haven't already. I don't like men acting like (and thinking that they are) gods...

So are you saying that genetics and biotechnology are evil? Because in essence, that is what you are saying. Some are using this scientific knowledge to create weapons, sure. However, many others are using it to understand disease and cure it.

I can teach you how to mine, refine and form metal.

You can choose to use it to make plowshares farm and feed the hungry, or swords to steal someone else's bread.

In either case, is the materials science of metallurgy itself evil?

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There ARE extremists among the evolutionist ranks who go as far as saying that life originated from non living matter. IMHO that calls the whole thing into question...

I believe life originated from non-living matter. There is no real distinction between the two.

BTS

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Burn,

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say that science is evil. It's like a machine, it doesn't have a conscience. It has to be watched carefully. It requires a certain amount of ethical oversight (like a psychopathic child).

V665

PS: Psychopaths aren't necessarily evil but their lack of a conscience makes them dangerous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit