The EVOLUTION thread!

by BurnTheShips 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I would like to start a boilerplate thread to DISCUSS EVOLUTION. There seems to be a great deal of interest in the subject.

So, I ask our members, what do you think about the veracity of the biological theory known as EVOLUTION?

Is it true? Is it false?

Do you have a scientific reason why or why not?

BTS

P.S. (Simon, please don't delete my thread. You seem to have a vendetta against me.)

P.P.S (Terry, I especially would like to hear your views)

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

To me at least, it's easier to swallow than a 6,000 year old earth and mean-ass deity who kills everything he sees. I can't in good faith however say that it is 100% accurate, although I sense that much of it is factual.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I guess that off the top of my head I can't give you a scientific reason for evolution, but I feel that I know enough about scientific practice and have enough common sense to know that the creation theory is a fairy tale. No offense meant, but that's how I feel.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Sooner,

I don't think it necessarily has to be an either/or choice as you described. There are many deep-thinking Christians who believe in God, Jesus, the Bible AND in science, such as Francis Collins (who is a strong believer in both God and evolution), Victor Reppert, Lee Strobel, Norman Geisler, C.S. Lewis, (Strobel, Geisler, and Lewis said that they found fault with evolution on the scientific evidence, not because they were Christians)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

BTS,

Great thread idea by the way!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Evolution is a fact. How far back it goes and to what extent is the argument. I do not think that evolution in general is incompatible with the god story.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

bek,

Good point.

Most Christians i've talked to at the very least believe in micro-evolution.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    P.S. (Simon, please don't delete my thread. You seem to have a vendetta against me.)

This is disingenuous. He told you long ago that he didn't like the massive cut and pastes with an agenda. These are your own words with an agenda, I'm sure that works.

• bohm
    bohm

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

Evolution is a fact. Evolution between species is a fact. The only question that can be asked is which evolutionary history one believe in, eg how much the species has evolved. Creationists never proposed an evolutionary history and what evidence support that evolutionary history, because they know the same and other evidence would blow it to bits; all they do is say what cannot have happened, and what could have happened, but never what they believe actually happened so it can be tested.

Thats why creationism is a complete non-issue; that and the talking animals.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I think that it is an either/or choice but not that you end up with one or the other. If you choose creation, I beleive that you must include evolution because creation itself, without the science aspect, is inplausible. If you choose evolution you don't necessarily need creation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit