Swimming Lessons Are Definitely On My To-Do List

by snowbird 123 Replies latest social physical

• AGuest
    AGuest

Very sad, dear Sylvie (peace to you, my sister!) and very shocking. But... I understand it, somewhat. My children grew up with a pool. My son swims like a fish. My daughter, who learned to swim as a baby... no longer can. We don't know what happened. She was claustrophobic as a baby (I had to buy button down t-shirts because putting anything over her face, even a light wash cloth, would cause her to start "sucking air"). So, I was surprised that, at about age 2, she didn't seem to have a problem swimming, indeed she LOVED it. And then, for some reason, she lost that love... when she was about 11-12. Maybe she swallowed too much water at some point (i.e., someone dunked her or held her under while playing, etc.)... I dunno. But she never swam again... and I've actually only seen her in a pool maybe twice since that.

I was scared for her before... and I am even more now (although I can't see her even getting close to water)... so I am sending her this post.

Thank you... and may JAH bless!

Your servant, sister, and a slave of Christ,

SA

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Maybe she swallowed too much water at some point (i.e., someone dunked her or held her under while playing, etc.)...

A child did this to my now-21 year old daughter when she was a little thing.

I hope it didn't traumatize her too much so that she no longer wants to learn to swim.

We, as a family, have got to get crackin'!

Thank YOU for responding, Shelby.

Syl

• upnorth
    upnorth

I grew up in the state of Washington, playing in the water during the summer heat was important. Learning to swim was a convenience and necessity.

Now I live in ALASKA the water is very very cold swimming in not important, because it doesn't save you. But all my children do know how to swim.

I think the mothers of these children are disgusting for allowing their babies to die

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I think the mothers of these children are disgusting for allowing their babies to die.

It was a freak accident.

Those mothers are in enough pain; please don't say that.

Syl

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I think the mothers of these children are disgusting for allowing their babies to die

What Sylvia said +1000.

BTW - I somehow was reminded (inexplicably) by this of a nature show I saw that claimed no Orangutan can ever learn to swim. Their body mass is so dense that they just sink like a rock no matter what they try to do.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I think such unfounded statements are disgusting, dear "Upnorth" (may you have peace!). People don't [learn to] swim for many reasons, including unfounded fear of their own. Some simply can't - they just panic too much! And some drown, even though they can swim and very well. In that light, here's a very appropo comment, IMHO, from responders to the article:

"Every year children and young adults die in the lakes and rivers that are an integral part of the Seattle, Washington area, not because they can't swim, but because they make poor choices; such as jumping off of docks that are clearly marked as "do not dive" areas, then getting stuck in the seaweed and other debris underneath the water, that one cannot see before entering.

An ability to swim is not a guarantee of survival when a poor choice is made. Panic sets in, and people grab onto each other in the hopes of survival, only to take others down with them (as happened last year with two adults in an area I am familiar with in the Kirkland, Wa. area), and I suspect that is a major part of this tragedy. The most important thing we can teach our children is to stay in areas they know, and not to venture into areas they don't, because it is too easy to get caught in an area where one cannot see what is under the surface.

Swimming skills are great, but survival skills (don't panic!) and as much common sense as possible, are even more valuable."

I applaud this responder, as well as the one who wrote "It was a SINK HOLE. How do you 'prepare' for that?"

None of us can say what we WOULD do in a moment of tragedy, dear one, but what we would only HOPE to do. This was a tragic accident that may or may not have occurred regardless of whether the victims could swim or not. If knowing how to swim would have prevented such deaths, then there is absolutely NO logical explanation for those who drown in similar situations (i.e., trying to save others, but being pulled in, especially when someone panics)... although they CAN swim.

Please, rethink your "disgust" as there but perhaps for the grace of God... could have gone YOUR children.

Again, I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We had a neighborhood pool in the town where I grew up. Beginner swimming lessons were a requirement before using it.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I just can't believe in an entire family that noone knows how to swim. I mean, they are not living in the desert or something. If this was Arizona or something, well ... maybe OK.

It boggles my mind. I grew up outside of New York City and virtually everyone I knew could swim, or at least float in the water.

I mean, in Louisiana, with all the lakes and rivers, I can't believe that kids wouldn't be in the water whenever they could, expecially with the heat in that part of the country.

I still can't believe it.

Rub a Dub

• snowbird
    snowbird

Learning to swim is not a priority to most of the people I know.

I don't know why. It just isn't.

Syl

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's possible these families don't have regular access to a pool to learn to swim. The Red river has a swift current and is not a good place to learn to swim. I remember, when I lived in Chicago, I met people there who were grown and had never left the city of Chicago in their entire lives, not even to go to the suburbs. People don't live the same lives: people don't have the same experiences. Life can be very different from one family to the next.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit