Swimming Lessons Are Definitely On My To-Do List

by snowbird 123 Replies latest social physical

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have to add that I took swimming lessons when I was 9. It was 1968. I failed because I could not swim across the Olympic sized pool.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    the laws were used to oppress immigrants as well.

Indeed, dear FHN (peace to you!). There were actually very specific laws on the books that called for direct discrimination against the Chinese... after the transcontinental railroad was completed, of course...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I don't understand how you can live around water and not know how to swim. It's apparent these kids have been in the water before. Even if parents have fear of water, why would they not want their children to learn how to swim?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Why do you think the parents wouldn't want their kids to know how to swim? It's simple, you can live around water and not have anyone teach you to swim.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I defer to YOU, Miz Shelby!

You do us proud, girl!

You truly have a gift.

I grew up on the banks of Pine Barren Creek, which separates Wilcox County and Dallas County in Alabama.

Even though we were surrounded by abundant natural resources, we never felt comfortable using them.

They belonged to the plantation owner - he never let us forget that, and neither did our parents.

I see you "get" it. Thanks for putting it so eloquently.

Syl

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

The ground did not sink out from underneath them. They stepped off a ledge into a sink hole. That hole might have been there for 100 years who knows. But the ground did not 'sink out from under them' that is not what a 'sinkhole' is we swim in them all the time! Jeez...

They probably couldn't kick their legs to swim cause there pants were down so low they couldn't use their legs anyway!

Water is like Kryptonite for black people.

They drown down here on American beach like crazy but it's just not a priority for them I guess. I love the water and want to be in it all the time so I swim like crazy but if someone is afraid and doesn't want to learn you can't MAKE them, I swim crazy well and I never had a swim lesson in my life! You just do it! However I guess it's hard to be cool and it's not gangster to swim. Of course if you don't know how to swim you really have no business being in the water. As for 'undertow' and all that crap if they could stay on the surface long enough to shout for help they the current wasn't pulling them down.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Water is like Kryptonite for black people.

Yeah, the horrors of the Middle Passage experience must be imbedded deep into our DNA.

Syl

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

You know I've read that the migratory route's for sharks have actually been mapped and found to follow the routes of the slave ships! So many people died and were thrown overboard that the sharks actually changed their ocean migration to follow the ships and have not yet changed back even hundreds of years later!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sharks and hurricanes, oh my!

http://snoopzone.blogspot.com/2005/09/hurricanes-following-path-of-slave.html

What is coming to this world?

Syl

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

What if the sharks were sucked UP into the hurricanes and it was raining giant sharks on New Orleans! Terrible AND racist at the same time! Clearly god hates new orleans...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit