TRINITY Challenge for JW's, Unitarians and Anyone Else

by UnDisfellowshipped 457 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Podobear
    Podobear

@isaacaustin: Thank you also for your comment.. I am trying to get my head around the reasoning you gave on Revelation 3:12 but I find that it is just a little the case that the scripture is spinning around a doctrine rather than the context of the scripture. I am still a little shakey as to whether we are to assume that the name referred to is Jehovah (ipso facto: the name of my God and my Father) But thanks anyway.

I doff my cap at your linguistic expertise.. I am schooled in Latin and the syntax of Greek but I find koine syrup!! LOL You mentioned the texts complimenting John 20:28 at variance, using either the Nominative or Vocative case. Do you think this is poor copyists at work, or indeed, doctrinal differences being introduced at an early stage? Do you have an idiots guide, a reference, that would expand on this issue for me to read though? I would appreciate this because this is the point that I bowed out of the last protracted Trinitarian debate. Thanks in advance.

Podo

• The Finger
    The Finger

djeggnog,

"In the beginning, when his prehuman existence began at his begettal by God, Jesus was an angelic god, not unlike the others angels or "godlike ones" (Psalm 8:5 [hebrew, elohim]) that came into existence after his creation. At Hebrews 2:7, to remove all doubt as to what these godlike ones were to whom the psalmist was referring, the apostle Paul quotes Psalm 8:5 and refers to them as "angels." Yes, the apostle John at John 1:1 was correct in referring to the Logos as "a god," for he had been, at least, that "in the beginning.""

I am right in understanding what you are saying if I were to think that in John 1:1, John was saying that "... and the word was an angel." (godlike one)

• Think About It
    Think About It

For those of you who do NOT believe that the Holy Spirit is a Person, this is for you:

Here are some excerpts concerning the Holy Spirit as defined in the Nicene Creed. The source is listed below. My brief comments are in red.

The Nicene Creed: Ancient Symbol of the Catholic Faith

By David Bennett

We Believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life

The Holy Spirit is also called "Lord." The Holy Spirit sustains our lives as Christians, illuminating us after the new birth. The original Creed of Nicaea simply ended with "We believe in the Holy Spirit." The other additions were approved at the Council of Constantinople in AD 381. However, most scholars believe that the text of the full creed dates prior to this council, and that the bishops simply gave their approval to a local creed already in use. The reason these additions were included in the Nicene Creed is that some Christians of the 4th century denied the full divinity of the Holy Spirit. The names given to these heretics were Macedonians (named after a heretical bishop) or pneumatomachi ("fighters against the Spirit").

Sounds to me like they were adding to what the Bible taught and making trinity doctrinal stuff up as the Catholic Church developed. Some Christians of the 4th Century were evidently upset about this and refused to go along with it. The "Church" labeled them as heretics and we all know what happened to heretics against the Church after that. Is that the true "fruits" of the holy spirit? Looks like an apostacy taking place.

Who Proceeds from the Father and the Son

The Son is said to be begotten, while the Spirit is said to proceed. Both words convey that the Son and Spirit are in special relationships to the Father, yet also fully divine. The phrase "and the Son," in Latin, filioque, was not in the original text of the creed, but was added in many Western Churches.The addition likely developed over time as a tool against Arians in the Gothic lands. There are theological and historical justifications for the addition or exclusion of the filioque. The Eastern Churches oppose the addition of the filioque, while many Western churches accept it. Actually, despite current division on the matter, the issue has been pretty much theologically resolved. The Catholic Church acknowledges that the Father is the sole source within the Trinity, and admits that "proceeds from the Father and the Son" means "proceeds from the Father through the Son." Catholics also acknowledge that the procession through the Son is not metaphysical, but economic (i.e. describing the Spirit's actions). Also, Eastern Catholics (those Eastern Churches in communion with Rome) do not say the filioque, and remain in full communion with the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox Churches seem willing to allow the interpretation "through the Son," because it does not destroy the monarchy of the Father within the Holy Trinity. However, the filioque remains a major division between Eastern and Western Christianity, mainly because the Western Church added the filioque to the Nicene Creed without Eastern input. It is hoped that this issue will be resolved in the future, as the current environment is far less political than in the past.

Here we see another case of adding to Christian beliefs. This filioque issue caused a great schism between the Eastern & Western Churches and many military conflicts. The fact that the Western Church added the filioque without consulting the Eastern Church shows that they would have had no problem adding a pagan Greek philosophical metaphysical trinity doctrine to an early church that held Arian views and a Jewish monotheism view of God.

With the Father and Son, He is Worshiped and Glorified

The Holy Spirit is God as are the Father and the Son, and worthy of the same worship due to the Father and the Son.

So the Holy Spirit is a " 3rd Person" and an "equal God" to the Father and the Son that is due worship, praise, etc.? The scriptures say Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father, so why is there never a heavenly vision that shows a 3 Person Godhead with the Holy Spirit sitting at the left of the Father? Wouldn't the Father's position still be considered the greatest?

If the Holy Spirit is a "3rd Person" and "equal" in all aspects of Godship why is "He" NEVER included in any of Paul's opening epistle greetings? Paul continually overlooks including mentioning a greeting from the Holy Spirit in his opening epistle greetings. (Hebrews contains no greeting from either Father, Son or Holy Spirit). If the Holy Spirit is indeed a third, full-fledged member of the Godhead, would not Paul consistently omitting "Him" from the greeting be insulting to “Him”? Would not this have been a great opportunity to express greetings to true Christians from a trinity God? To skip the fact that Paul only includes the Father and the Son in the greetings and then try to twist Paul's teachings to prove the "Holy Spirit" is a " 3rd God Person" is ridiculous. Look at the greetings below and notice for yourself.

Romans 1:1, 7-9: “Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God...Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all…”

I Corinthians 1:1, 3: “Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God…Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”

II Corinthians 1:1-3: “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God...Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…”

Galatians 1:1, 3: “Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead)...Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Ephesians 1:1-3: “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus…Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.”

Philippians 1:1-2: “Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus, which are at Phillipi…Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Colossians 1:1-3: “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God…Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...”

I Thessalonians 1:1: Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians… Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

II Thessalonians 1:1-2: Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians… Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philemon 1:1, 3: “Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer…Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Titus 1:1, 4: “Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness…To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.”

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@The Finger:

I am right in understanding what you are saying if I were to think that in John 1:1, John was saying that "... and the word was an angel." (godlike one)

This is exactly what John is saying at John 1:1 about Jesus, that is, who Jesus was before he became the "Jesus" we came to know as a human being. The Word was the first angel created, and he is an "only-begotten god" (John 1:18) because he was a direct creation of God, whereas God used Jesus to make everything else (John 1:3; Hebrews 1:2 [Psalm 102:25-27]), this angel having inherited a name (or office, considering that Jesus is a prince, the son of God, the Great King) that is more excellent than the names (or offices) given to any of the other angels in heaven. (Hebrews 1:4)

@djeggnog

• The Finger
    The Finger

Djeggnog,

Thank you.

But if the angels can pass DNA to, angelic material to make a hybrid, can God be the same substance as them and not be a creation?

• The Finger
    The Finger

If the particles that create angels are the same as God. Then he is a creation

• Podobear
    Podobear

@Djeggnog particularly: The discussion here, despite the usual mockings from some, has been superb.. thank you and Think About It especially for your dogged presentations. Whilst I wait for isaacaustin (who I have also found to be up front and reasoned, thank you) to provide me with some research papers on John 20:28, I have one final question for you and perhaps a reasoning pro-Trinitarian. I have a patient, a Pentecostal Pastor and also his wife, who is keen to get me on the Alpha course at his church. We both shook hands over this one. Please..

If Almighty God Jehovah is an Immortal being without creation, and Jesus is now an Immortal being, and was created... that would mean that Jehovah has size and therefore location in an Infinite, yet ever expanding Universe. [Des (the Pastor) and I met mind to mind on that one]

Therefore, Djeggnog, should JW's do a full circle and return to the days of Pastor Russel and be looking at the Pleides for such location? I know this sounds like the anecdote of the Evolutionists scaling the wall of Theory, reaching the top, only to find a panel of Theologians... (LOL).. but really, does this mean that Almighty God has size and location as JW's presumably see it.. or after all, are we ALL including Jesus to join this Omnipresent, Omnipotent whole as a kind of Universal consciousness? [That, they Father may be one...as WE are one].

In attendance of your mullings over this one. Many thanks.

Podo

• Think About It
    Think About It

Podobear you have a PM.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@The Finger:

But if the angels can pass DNA to, angelic material to make a hybrid, can God be the same substance as them and not be a creation?

Whatever the substance of divine nature may permit an angel to do, it is not appropriate, even unnatural for an angel to be 'passing DNA,' as you put it, between themselves and humans.

If the particles that create angels are the same as God. Then he is a creation

I don't follow your logic here, but ok.

@Podobear:

If Almighty God Jehovah is an Immortal being without creation, and Jesus is now an Immortal being, and was created... that would mean that Jehovah has size and therefore location in an Infinite, yet ever expanding Universe. [Des (the Pastor) and I met mind to mind on that one]

Even if you and the pastor agreed that Jehovah has both "size and ... location," I'd say that the Bible makes clear to point out that Jehovah is bigger that our expanded universe and that his location, where He dwells, is in the spiritual heavens, which is not in our universe at all!

Therefore, Djeggnog, should JW's do a full circle and return to the days of Pastor [Russell] and be looking at the Pleides for such location?

I can assure you that I do not know what you mean by this, but the organization of Jehovah Witnesses is a forward-moving, progressive organization, and so we do not "return" to beliefs long-abandoned due to our discovering our understanding to have been in error.

I know this sounds like the anecdote of the Evolutionists scaling the wall of Theory, reaching the top, only to find a panel of Theologians... (LOL).. but really, does this mean that Almighty God has size and location as JW's presumably see it.. or after all, are we ALL including Jesus to join this Omnipresent, Omnipotent whole as a kind of Universal consciousness? [That, they Father may be one...as WE are one].

This question of yours is rather compound, and I'm pretty sure that I won't be making any real attempt here in trying to decipher what it is you might be really asking me here. Although it is true that since Jesus' resurrection, Jehovah gave him at least a couple of things that He Himself possesses -- incorruptibility and immortality -- so although Jesus is now an immortal God, Jehovah is almighty, which means that whatever might Jesus possesses, Jehovah is a mightier in power than is the Lord Jesus Christ.

But I will say that as to God's being omnipresent, I responded to someone else's message recently on this very topic, and so I'll just answer your question in a similar fashion now:

Where exactly does God live? Does God have a house? If so, where is it, or, to put this in another way: What is God's location?

At Acts 7:48, we read that "the Most High doesn't dwell in houses made with hands." Continuing with verses 49 and 50, same book and chapter, Stephen says "'The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. What sort of house will you build for me? Jehovah says. Or what is the place for my resting? My hand made all these things, did it not?'"

God's throne is located in the heavens, the earth is God's footstool, and what kind of materials would one use to make a house in which God might dwell. So whether a structure could be made here on earth of gold, silver or some other precious stone, or even wood, God's house is not a church, not a cathedral, not a mosque, not a Kingdom Hall. It's not a house "made with hands."

A person is a "being possessing or forming the subject of personality," so God is a person, just like a man is a person, a woman is a person. A dog is not a person. A cat is not a person. Jehovah is a person, so he must have specific dwelling, for every intelligent person has location, but where is it?

So then is it true that God is everywhere at the same time, He's a part of and in everything? No, this is not true; God is not everywhere. God is somewhere. So where would we find God? Where exactly is God located? Well, what did Jesus say at Matthew 6:9? I know you know this scripture, for in the King James Version even young children learned what Jesus taught his followers to pray, "Our Father which art in heaven...." So where is God? Does this mean that God is in the sky? Is He in the clouds, or where the sun is, where the stars are, where the planets are, or in our solar system somewhere?

Our earth, it's atmosphere, our solar system, the universe cannot contain Jehovah, for King Solomon makes the point at 2 Chronicles 6:18 that "the heaven of the heavens" cannot contain Him. Now Jesus "became flesh and resided among us" we read at John 1:14, but Jehovah? He is nowhere to be found in our material universe. He's not everywhere; he's not omnipresent.

Leave the solar system past all of the stars to where the universe ends, if it so ends, and thus cross from this literal physical dimension into a spiritual dimension where the spiritual heavens is, and that is where God is, in another dimension. Isaiah 63:15 says "Look from heaven and see out of your lofty abode of holiness and beauty." This is the heaven where God makes His home, where Jehovah dwells in person.

But note what we read at Hebrews 8:1, 2 about God's dwelling place, His abode in the spiritual heavens, "We have such a high priest as this, and he has sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a public servant of the holy place and of the true tent, which Jehovah put up, and not man." So if it were possible to get out of our universe, out of this creation, that is to say, out of our physical dimension, and enter the spiritual heavens, you would find Jehovah in the spiritual dimension where He resides in person, you would see the palatial home that Jehovah himself put up, the palace where He lives and thrones.

But the apostle Paul provides this important detail at Hebrews 9:11 that will bear out what I've said here about God's dwelling place, about this "true tent" that Jehovah put up as His own dwelling in the spiritual heavens, for he speaks about "when Christ came as a high priest of the good things that have come to pass," that he did so, "through the greater and more perfect tent not made with hands, that is, not of this creation." Isn't this what Stephen said about God's house at Acts 7:48-50? "What sort of house will you build for me?" IOW, God's 'perfect and true tent,' His abode, is not here on Planet Earth at all. You can look, but you won't find God here anywhere!

No, @Podobear, what we see from all of this is that God's home, His dwelling place, is in the heavens, and is "not of this creation."

@djeggnog

• yknot
    yknot

DJEggnog,

I was just pointing out that Jah’s true name and pronunciation is lost to time until the millennial reign.
    Personally I am good with Jehovah as pronounced in the U.S. (versus Gee-hovah in the U.K.).

Trinitarian prayers…… Are you insinuating that Jah only hears JWs prayers?

Scriptures...... Careful there DJ, interpretation by the WTS isn’t squeaky clean as prophets of Old……and I am starting to feel you don’t discern our history very well…..I am not talking about what Ray Franz, Don Cameron or any other ExJW have said, I am talking about from our own publications….

No we are not always progressing forward—2008 ‘generation’ is from 1927, we also flipped on higher authorities, we flipped on holy spirit directing too…..but of course you obviously don’t know about this as you are either a young person or a convert

I am curious do you even know what the ‘truth’ is….. do you discern it’s proper definition?

Further the writing department uses E-Sword and many other ‘worldly-babylon the great’ commentaries too! So much for the FDS adhering to 1Cor 10:21,22!

Have you viewed the new DVD yet? What did Russell and his buddies do to discern 'bible truths'?

Being a JW…. I have probably been a JW longer than you. As such I am much more relaxed and satisfied with my beliefs rather than needing to defend constantly. Further I discern the very human aspect of the WTS as you will too in time. Allowing oneself to jump quickly to defensiveness is a sign of immaturity and lack of keeping one’s head. There will always be people who disagree so don’t make it personal. We all learned it isn’t us who determines the householder/individual’s heart condition or whether they are ripe for the Truth sometimes you have to accept that people are on a spiritual journey and where they are right now isn’t where they will be later on…..all you can do is spread seeds of truth and trust in Jah.
    Consider the devout Catholic you meet at the door, they may bait you with a comment or question but to give into emotional response would bring reproach, we are not at their door to debate but rather to share the good news of the Truth. When the household rejects us (politely or a slamming door) we don’t take it personally. Each time we knock we strive to set a fine impression so that if they are not ‘ripe’ then perhaps they will be more receptive to the next Bro/Sis or even us later on….. ditto for those you meet on the board. When a ‘newbie’ JW comes on here and flips out, resorts to name calling and other miss-directions it brings deep reproach. Besides as I am sure someone has already pointed out to you, we both are in clear violation of the Slave’s direction by posting here, so neither of us has any real room to cast stones against each other or any other members.

Think of this forum as a chance to hone your skills as we live in a ‘google society’ now and many topics often found here will start coming up at the door or later during a study….. so best to be prepared!

Majority of the posters here are nice people too, treat them with respect and more than often they will return the courtesy even when disagreeing.

divine nature….

*** it-2 p. 474 Nature ***
    Divine Nature. Also, there is a different nature belonging to those in heaven, spirit creatures of God. The apostle Peter speaks to his fellow Christians, spiritual brothers of Jesus Christ, of “the precious and very grand promises, that through these you may become sharers in divine nature [phy′se•os].” (2Pe 1:4) That this is a sharing with Christ in his glory as spirit persons, Peter shows in his first letter: “God . . . gave us a new birth [a•na•gen•ne′sas he•mas′, “having generated us again”] to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead to an incorruptible and undefiled and unfading inheritance. It is reserved in the heavens for you.” (1Pe 1:3, 4) “Divine nature” requires a change in nature through death and resurrection, as made plain by the apostle Paul at First Corinthians chapter 15. He explains that the Christian must die and must be resurrected in a different body, a spiritual one, which requires a change.—1Co 15:36, 38, 44, 49, 51

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit