TRINITY Challenge for JW's, Unitarians and Anyone Else

by UnDisfellowshipped 457 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

PSacremento-

You are right, there were and are a variety of Beliefs within Judaism from ultra orthodox to reformed and agnostic groups.

I've also enjoyed learning from orthodox and reformed Rabbis, the orthodox gentleman was very thorough in his scope of hisotrical Judaism. At a service he was careful include which ideas came from which eras of Jewish development. He was probably the most influencial in helping me hold to some form of belief in a Supreme Being while accepting the new things science brings into our scope of understanding.

Take care

• brotherunsure
    brotherunsure

I have a hard time even understanding the consensus definition of the trinity doctrine. Some seem to view it as 3 separate gods, others view it as 1 with 3 split personalities that prays to itself, and others seem to think of it as a bit of both, like a siamese 3 headed god type situation. In the first two lines in your own definition how is that not a contradiction?

"* There is only One True God by Nature.

* There are Three Distinct Persons who share equally the Nature of God."

...I don't get it. I honestly don't get it. Is it 1 or 3? How can it be both? And where does the Bible say anything about 3?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi BU. Welcome to the forum.

The Catholics have their definition in their encyclopedia which is online. It is quite a common definition.

You might be getting confused with modalism, which is what the Watchtower debates instead of the Trinity, which it seldom discusses.

My family has been trashing the 'Trinity' for years without ever understanding what it is as taught by the churches they left. All they had to do was find their church's definition of it instead of letting the WT explain it to them, and they could have saved themselves a whole lot of bother.

Cheers

Chris

• brotherunsure
    brotherunsure

I'm not sure how to quote posts here but to blacksheep thanks. But yeah it seems like some trinitarians are more like oneness pentecostals, they just say Jesus is God. It kind of annoys me when they say "The Bible talks about 'God the Son'" because the term "God the son" isn't found in any Bible translation that I'm aware of. But the ones that don't say Jesus is the one only God say there are three gods don't they? So how is that not polytheism? If Jesus is God who did he pray to and who sent him? If he's one of three gods that means there's three gods doesn't it?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    If Jesus is God who did he pray to and who sent him? If he's one of three gods that means there's three gods doesn't it?

Did you have a look at the definition in the Catholic Encyclopedia?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

• brotherunsure
    brotherunsure

I once came across a Jehovah witness myspace group captioned "F--- the Jesus lovers" started by some teenager. I've heard of people getting dragged into the back room for mentioning Jesus too much. I guess they reduced the number of instances he's mentioned in the new song book? So I don't know, it kind of seems like the Watchtower demotes Christ whereas trinitarians elevate him above Jehovah and Jehovah/The father takes a back burner.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    whereas trinitarians elevate him above Jehovah

You still haven't understood what the Trinity doctrine is brotherunsure.

There is no point in bashing Christians for doctrines they don't teach.

Their doctrine has it that Jesus IS Jehovah, therefore, they cannot "elevate him above Jehovah" Read John 20:28 in context to understand why they teach that.

They teach that the Father is greater than the son, in position, and that they are equal in substance, just as Barack Obama is greater than you because of his position, but is of the same substance (human).

Cheers

Chris

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

brotherunsure, Jesus talk is forbidden in the Masonic Lodge incidentally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit