TRINITY Challenge for JW's, Unitarians and Anyone Else

by UnDisfellowshipped 457 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Podobear
    Podobear

Has wtleaving answered your points sufficiently Kenneson? I could add further comment if you want to fault the reasoning presented.

How you can conclude that two people can be seen talking together are one and the same.. especially in light of the account of John in Revelation 3 especially I cannot possible understand Snowbird, sweetheart. Look at the comments to the Church in Philadelphia.. the father/son relationship continues after the death/resurrection and exaltation of Jesus. He sits at his Father's side.

I can understand that they are so close through Immortality that the visually challenged could get them confused - like Father, like Son - but the rest of the canon of Scripture has them as two distinct personages. Otherwise it makes the reading of Scripture VERY painful.

Please... research the dozen or so texts used to justify the assertion that Jesus is the OT Jehovah.. and you will see that those who are entrenched in the KJV are in a much more corrupt translation than the accusers would make of the NWT. At least the NWT adds Parenthesis for the reader when it wants to clarify the understanding of our feeble English language.

All the Best, Beroean peoples

Podo

• Podobear
    Podobear

.. ps. I actually meant djeggnog with reference to Hebrews 1.. apologies and best wishes Kenneson.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Debate with djeggnog: Point Number [2]: *

There are Three Distinct Persons who share equally the Nature of God. * (

PART ONE: The Second Person of the Trinity, The Son)

Djeggnog, I hope we are already in agreement about Point Number [1] above (and the 7 sub-points I listed).

And, I also assume we are already in agreement that the Person called "The Father" in the Christian-Greek Scriptures is truly God by Nature.

So, now I am moving on to the Second Person, known as "the Son," "the Word," "Jesus," and many other names and titles.

(All Scriptures are from the New World Translation Reference Bible, 1984 edition)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Since I have already shown from the New World Translation that (1) There is only One True God by Nature, (2) there are no other gods that exist, and (3) there is no other god together with the One True God, now we will examine what the Christian-Greek Scriptures have to say about Jesus.

John opens his Gospel with this declaration: "In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. This one was in [the] beginning with God." (John 1:1-2)

Then he continues writing about this "Word" who became the Man, Jesus Christ:

"No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him." (John 1:18)

Toward the end of John's Gospel, he writes about the Apostle Thomas' declaration of faith in the Resurrected Jesus:

"Next he said to Thomas: “Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop being unbelieving but become believing.” In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him: “Because you have seen me have you believed? Happy are those who do not see and yet believe.” " (John 20:27-29)

So, we can clearly see that the Christian-Greek Scriptures teach that Jesus Christ is "a god," "the only-begotten god," and "My God" [of Thomas at least]. In addition, Isaiah 9:6 teaches that Jesus is "The Mighty God."

What are we to make of this?

How does this possibly harmonize with the First Point that we established above?

I will continue this discussion tomorrow after work. Now I am off to bed.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog:

All I ask is that you do your best to stay focused, for I will withdraw from this discussion (or debate) if you should introduce arguments that have nothing at all to do with proving the Trinity to be a Bible-based doctrine using the New World Translation of the Holy [Scriptures].

@Undisfellowshipped:

I will do my best to stay focused. And I understand why you would withdraw if this debate or discussion goes "off-track" or off-topic.

Reading back what I wrote, I came off as if I were here dictating rules for a thread that you started, and I'm not doing that. I just wanted to let you know in advance that I will withdraw from this thread if it should go off topic (I realize that his may not be anyone's fault necessarily, but I assume that other people may be contributing to this discussion/debate as well), but I was only letting you know that I will withdraw if this thread goes off the rails, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it back on the track.

@Undisfellowshipped:

We are agreed that this debate/discussion will be about whether the Trinity Doctrine is taught or supported in the Bible, using the New World Translation.

Agreed.

@Undisfellowshipped:

With that said, would it be acceptable to you that if we have a disagreement about the meaning of a word or phrase, or, for instance, if I lack knowledge about what a certain word or phrase means, we can use dictionaries (Bible dictionaries and English dictionaries) to determine the proper meanings?

Also, the New World Translation that I am using is the 1984 New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures with References (Footnotes). Would it be acceptable to you for us to also discuss the further information that is found in the Footnotes and Appendix in that Translation?

In addition, would it be acceptable to bring into this discussion certain information that we find helpful from the "Insight" Books or "Reasoning" Book (Published by Jehovah's Witnesses)? For example, if there is information in those books which give the meanings of certain words or phrases or passages of Scripture that may have a bearing on the Trinity? (We could even call this supplemental information from the "Insight" and "Reasoning" Books "Translators' Notes" since they were published by the same group that translated the New World Translation).

My main points will all be taken from the New World Translation Reference Bible, and if you prefer, we will use only the New World Translation and NO other Watchtower Publications. Your choice there.

I would prefer that we use the NWT and nothing more, "main points" or otherwise. Of course, you can consult whatever reference book you wish, whether published by the WTS or by some other book publishing outfit, but I'm going to just be using the NWT.

@djeggnog:

Why do you care that folks are making a "study in the Scriptures" and that they are thinking for themselves if you are not, as you say, here promoting either a church or a religious group?

@Undisfellowshipped:

I am a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am humbly trying to do my small part in obeying my Lord's "Great Commission" to go and preach and teach and make disciples of people for the Lord.

Well, you seem to have formed a sect of your own, for after the "Great Commission," when the spirit was poured out on that Pentecost day in 33 AD, congregations of Christians were formed as the number of those receiving the spirit increased from 120 to 3,000 to 5,000 in really no time at all. You cannot help God's organization do the work by your being outside of God's organization.

@Undisfellowshipped:

Jesus said "Come to Me", He did not say "Come to this certain church building or church group."

What about those taking the lead in the congregations of God? (Hebrews 13:17) How can you "be obedient" when you are doing your own thing and preaching your own gospel?

@Undisfellowshipped:

John 17:3 says that getting to know (or "taking in knowledge of") God and Jesus means everlasting life. That sounds pretty important to me, and I am sure it is equally important to you as well.

You cannot take in knowledge of God and Jesus (except maybe second-handedly) when you are outside of God's channel from which progressive truths flow today.

@Undisfellowshipped:

I try to imitate Paul, the Noble-Minded Beroeans (Acts 17:11) and most of all, Christ Jesus.

Ok.

@Undisfellowshipped:

Having a personal relationship with God, believing in the Ransom, and having His Spirit is far more important than belonging to a certain group or going to a certain building. (John 4:21-24)

But your actions in separating yourself and preaching your own gospel strongly suggests that you do not have God's spirit and aren't being led by it.

@djeggnog:

Do you think that encouraging others to take up a study of the Scriptures, as you are doing, isn't the same as your promoting a sect?

@Undisfellowshipped:

The same accusation was made against Paul and the early disciples, and probably was made against the Noble-Minded Beroeans of Acts 17:11-12, as well.

You didn't answer my question. Maybe you'll decide to answer it later.

@Undisfellowshipped:

How can it ever be wrong to encourage people to study the Scriptures daily? In fact, isn't that posted on the outside of one of the Bethel buildings in New York?

Hey! Isn't that a non-sequitur? What possible difference would it make if Staples Center has the words "Read God's Word Daily" emblazoned on one of the walls? I'm missing your point since my question to you wasn't so much about what you were doing, but why you were doing it outside of God's organization as a sect.

@djeggnog:

Please explain why someone that doesn't believe that the Trinity doctrine has scriptural support should not believe in Unitarianism? I don't follow your logic here, considering that Trinitarianism is not the same as Unitarianism, and unless you are claiming that Unitarianism is the very antithesis of belief in the Trinity -- which I don't believe you are saying here -- then it makes no real sense for you to have said this.

@Undisfellowshipped:

Unitarianism, as I understand it, is the belief that God is only One Person, The Father of Jesus, and that God is NOT a Trinity.

The "other side" of Trinitarians would be those who do not believe in the Trinity, primarily I was referring to those who believe God is the Father of Jesus and NOT Three Persons.

I missed your point. I really don't think anyone here would think a discussion about the Trinity would be a discussion about, I don't know, the oil spill or about anything other than the Trinity.

@UnDisfellowshipped:

I apologize -- there was some sort of formatting glitch in my post above. I will try to make sure that doesn't happen again, if I can figure out what happened. lol

No apology necessary. No one but I could actually notice my many typos unless they resorted to squinting, which was a good thing. (There were just too many typos. <g>)

@Undisfellowshipped:

I hope we both agree that the Hebrew Scriptures teach that there is only One True God, and His Name is Jehovah. I think we have common ground there.

Now, djeggnog, are we in agreement so far? Do you agree that the Hebrew Scriptures teach that there is only One True God, and His Name is Jehovah?

Agreed.

@Undisfellowshipped:

But, what does "Only True God" or "One True God" mean exactly? Look at the following two verses, which help to explain the meaning:

Galatians 4:8:Nevertheless, when you did not know God, then it was that you slaved for those who by nature are not gods.

Romans 1:20:For his invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable;

Romans 1:25: even those who exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the One who created, who is blessed forever. Amen.

The Apostle Paul is explaining that there is only One God who has the true Godship [Nature of God], and this is the Creator (Jehovah). He also explains that all other gods are NOT gods by nature. And we should NEVER venerate or render sacred service to any creature, but only to the Creator.

Djeggnog, are we on the same page so far? Do you agree or disagree with any of the things I have said?

I'm not going to quibble, but no, Paul is not explaining anything about God's nature at Romans 1:20. He is making the point that God's qualities, His "eternal power and Godship" being among them, are perceived by the things made.

@Undisfellowshipped:

Things we have established so far from the New World Translation:

1:) There is only One True God. (1 Kings 8:60)

2:) No other gods exist. (Isaiah 45:5)

3:) The One True God's Name is Jehovah. (Isaiah 43:10-11)

4:) There is only One God who is God by Nature and has the True Godship [Divinity, Divine Nature]. (Romans 1:20, Galatians 4:8)

5:) Christians should never venerate or render sacred service to any creature, but only to the Creator. (Romans 1:25)

6:) There is no other god together with the One True God. (Deuteronomy 32:39)

7:) Anyone who preached any different god besides the One True God was to be put to death. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5)

Djeggnog, do you agree with these 7 points that we just established from the New World Translation?

No. I cannot agree with how you phrased point #4, and as to your point #6, Jehovah did make Moses God to Pharaoh, did He not? (Exodus 7:1) In fact, there are many gods mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures, not the least of which were the judges of Israel (Psalm 82:1, 6, 7). Let's just see where this discussion goes. No need to respond.

@Undisfellowshipped:

And, I also assume we are already in agreement that the Person called "The Father" in the Christian-Greek Scriptures is truly God by Nature.

No, we are not in agreement in described Jehovah as "the Person called 'The Father" [being] "truly God by Nature." I would say that the God of the Christian-Greek Scriptures is the same God in the Hebrew Scriptures and leave it at that since this statement is quite ambiguous, and unless there is some reason for your saying more than this, I'd like to first hear that reason.

@Undisfellowshipped:

So, now I am moving on to the Second Person, known as "the Son," "the Word," "Jesus," and many other names and titles.

No, I cannot agree with this designation of Jesus as being any "Second Person," known also as "the Son," or "the Word." I accept that this is what you intend to prove using the NWT, so I'll just wait until we get there, if we get there.

@Undisfellowshipped:

John opens his Gospel with this declaration: "In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. This one was in [the] beginning with God." (John 1:1-2)

Ok.

@Undisfellowshipped:

Then he continues writing about this "Word" who became the Man, Jesus Christ:

"No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him." (John 1:18)

Ok.

@Undisfellowshipped:

Toward the end of John's Gospel, he writes about the Apostle Thomas' declaration of faith in the Resurrected Jesus:

"Next he said to Thomas: "Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop being unbelieving but become believing." In answer Thomas said to him: "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him: "Because you have seen me have you believed? Happy are those who do not see and yet believe." " (John 20:27-29)

Ok.

@Undisfellowshipped:

So, we can clearly see that the Christian-Greek Scriptures teach that Jesus Christ is "a god," "the only-begotten god," and "My God" [of Thomas at least].

@Undisfellowshipped:

In addition, Isaiah 9:6 teaches that Jesus is "The Mighty God."

What are we to make of this?

I don't know. The book of Isaiah is not a part of the Greek Scriptures, but I agree that the title, "Mighty God," is applicable to the Lord Jesus Christ.

• debator
    debator

Hi peacedog

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The bible explains itself, that is why we use it.

Hebrews 1:1-2 makes it clear.

Hebrews 1:1-2 (New International Version)

1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

So we already have two people involved God and his son. God created THROUGH his son! trinitarians cannot argue against this Biblical fact! their way of dealing with "By myself" but clearly involving God's son. is first to read "God" as the word "father" instead of God, then to invent a situation where they can have two people involved but try and say they are in fact one person who can say "me" "I" "myself" etc.

Indeed this shows that trinitarians are making the same argument as witnesses, that the Father works through the son but to try and negotiate their proof text scripture they try and make Jehovah the same singular person as his son able to refer to himself in the singular. they then ignore this when refering to the "us" in genesis as a proof text. This is where their oxymorons kick in.

God clearly can work through workers aka Angels, people, animals and his son and so can be said to have done it all.

It's like people saying Brunel made "the great western railway" when he clearly would have used workers/hired hands. But Brunel did it on his own, he did not cooperate with Stephenson or any other great engineer of his time, it was all his own work. But obviously he didn't lift a finger.

More importantly other examples of this not involving Jesus exist.

Ezekiel 14:7 (New International Version)

7 " 'When any Israelite or any alien living in Israel separates himself from me and sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet to inquire of me, I Jehovah will answer him MYSELF.

So how did Jehovah punish them?

He explains in verses 14-17

Ezekiel 14:14-17 (New International Version)

14 even if these three men—Noah, Daniel [a] and Job—were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign LORD.

15 "Or if I send wild beasts through that country and they leave it childless and it becomes desolate so that no one can pass through it because of the beasts, 16 as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, even if these three men were in it, they could not save their own sons or daughters. They alone would be saved, but the land would be desolate.

17 "Or if I bring a sword against that country and say, 'Let the sword pass throughout the land,' and I kill its men and their animals,

God is working through agencies here "wild beasts" and "sword" but attributing it solely to "Myself".

Here in psalms we have Jehovah saying.

Psalm 72:18 (New International Version)

18 Praise be to the LORD God, the God of Israel,
    who alone does marvelous deeds.

so every marvelous deed is Jehovah's but to name but a few...Moses, prophets, apostles etc who are used with regards to these.

Exodus 7:1-3

1 Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: “See, I have made youGod to Phar´aoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet. 2 You—you will speak all that I shall command you; and Aaron your brother will do the speaking to Phar´aoh, and he must send the sons of Israel away from his land. 3 As for me, I shall let Phar´aoh’s heart become obstinate, and I shall certainly multiply my signs and my miracles in the land of Egypt.

He worked through moses to do the miraculous signs to to Pharoah and indeed made Moses "God" to pharoah but does that mean Moses is Jehovah? No but you will say this similar usage of Jesus makes Jesus almighty God. You created rules that you only apply to Jesus and ignore for all others used in similar ways by Jehovah.

Heres another.

Isaiah 43:11

11 I, even I, am Jehovah,
    and apart from me there is no savior.

So only Jehovah is our savior a popular one with trinitarians but yet they ignore scriptures like this one.

Judges 3: 15 And the sons of Israel began to call to Jehovah for aid. So Jehovah raised up for them a savior, E´hud the son of Ge´ra, a Ben´ja·mite, a left-handed man. In time the sons of Israel sent tribute by his hand to Eg´lon the king of Mo´ab.

Jehovah can raise up saviors but this doesn't mean they are Jehovah just that Jehovah works through them.

The bible clearly establishes that Things can be atrributed to God while he works through others.

• designs
    designs

I always liked Gene Wilder movies, Young Frankenstein, now he's to old to play Jesus but it could have been fun in a Monty Python sort of way...............Jesus VonChrist with Prince Valliant's haircut, that's usually the picture seen in most Bibles.

But the great universal question of the Trinity rages on unanswered by Jesuits or Fundamentalists: Why does God appear to Catholics in Tortillas but to Fundamentalists he appears as Miracle Rice Crispies and Old men's pulsating crotches.

Mysterium fidei

• TD
    TD

This is only a suggestion intended to be helpful.

I've followed debates like these (e.g. Greg Stafford vs. Rob Bowman) and it seems like a communication problem usually develops over how the most basic terms are defined.

Would it would be helpful as the discussion progresses to clearly indiated with upper case and lower case G's (God and god) when the term is being applied to the Supreme Being and when it is not?

(I realize that sometimes proper grammar requires that the term 'God' have an uppercase 'G' even if it doesn't refer to the Supreme Being, but this seems to muddy the water when you're debating the nature of the Being the term describes.)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh Designs, you adorable little button pusher, you. I have very unconventional beliefs. And I think the Gods and Goddesses understand.

• peacedog
    peacedog

debator,

God clearly can work through workers aka Angels, people, animals and his son and so can be said to have done it all.
    It's like people saying Brunel made "the great western railway" when he clearly would have used workers/hired hands.

Agreed. This is obvious. However, the flaw in your reasoning is just as clearly seen in that while one might legitimately say that "Brunel made the great western railway", one could NOT say that "Brunel made the great western railway ALL ALONE, BY HIMSELF. WHO WAS WITH HIM?"

This is the difference. God did not just claim to have created all things; God was explicit - to the point of repeating himself - that he created all things ALONE, BY HIMSELF. To quote him: "Who was with me?"

I have two simple (yes or no) questions for you that ought to expedite our discussion:

1) Did God create all things (heaven and earth) ALL ALONE, BY HIMSELF?

2) Did God ever say to ANY angel, "Sit at my right side until I make your enemies into a footstool for you."?

Please give me your yes-or-no response to each question. Thanks,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit