no blood cards this year!

by DIM 83 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

I have a whole stack of unsigned blood-cards. I always ask for extras. I figure I may need them to get back stage at a George Benson concert.

• AlanF
    AlanF

As Jukief said, I went to a Service Meeting the other night to see what was going on. They gave no reason for dumping the new blood cards other than the usual meaningless "the faithful slave decided..." However, I found out that there were a couple of minor changes in the wording of the new cards, in the areas that describe what minors and adults are not allowed to take. The old cards read something like, "I will not take blood..." whereas the new ones read, "I will not take allogenic blood..." Now, "allogenic" refers to blood from another person, as opposed to "autologous" blood, which refers to one's own blood. So the new wording might have been taken to mean that "autologous" transfusions were now allowed, which would have meant a major policy shift in that it would then be permissible for someone to store their blood before an operation and then have it transfused in later during an operation. This has always been prohibited by the Watchtower.

It's not clear why the Society added that one word "allogenic" to the new blood cards, but one thing is certain: the wording is guarded carefully by the Legal and Writing Departments, under the direction of the GB, so any changes would have had to run a gamut of approvals. Furthermore, they would have had to have been approved by late spring or early summer of 2001 so as to get into the September/October shipments of the new blood cards. The fact that congregations received instructions at the last minute to dump the new cards indicates that a good deal of wrangling is going on at the highest levels of the Watchtower, possibly even a power struggle over who gets to decide policy.

AlanF

• happy man
    happy man

From Sweden i can tell that this issu is not only US related, in our cong, we have the same adjustment, no cards, and they say it will come new info soon.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Isn't this deja vu all over again?

I seem to recall hearing that the exact same thing happened last year:

Cards were shipped out, then destroyed due to "wording", with corrected cards coming some weeks later???

Does anyone else recall such?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

bttt. Wish Lee could give us details but then again, this board is probably being monitored.

Can't wait! I'll be up all night. As soon as I know, I'm calling my sister. It'll do much for my credibility with her too.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

AlanF,

You wrote: "indicates that a good deal of wrangling is going on at the highest levels of the Watchtower, possibly even a power struggle over who gets to decide policy."

Thank You!!! There ARE some there who are working hard!!

IW

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

When Jesus was on earth, he kept a low profile at all times. In fact when the mob came to arrest Jesus the night before his death, Judas had to give the soldiers a sign so that they would arrest the right man.
    The WTS has become so prominent in the world, bragging all the time about their worldwide work. And what does all of this worldwide work entail? To name a few: Their printing of literature in more languages than any other Bible company, volunteers working free of charge, their quick build Kingdom Halls, their grand Assembly Halls, their Branch Offices, their huge conventions, ect…..all of this done on donation bases only. They are, unlike Jesus, maintaining a very high profile. It takes much money to keep a huge operation like this going, and money is what keeps the worlds eyes on anything.
    It seems to me that they are trying now to step out of the lime light. I think that it is too late. It seems that they are on their way to being exposed. All of their business is going to be in the street soon.

Pureheart

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy IS,

There ARE some there who are working hard!!
    Are you talking about the WTBTS lawyers - who would, imho, ultimately decide on the wording protecting/destroying lives of duped people? Working hard? To save their own asses.

Now they could be working hard amongst different departments, such as writing vs lawyers vs whoever......but that's only working hard to get power.

Same ol' same ol.

waiting

• Jourles
    Jourles

Wow

Alan said:

The old cards read something like, "I will not take blood..." whereas the new ones read, "I will not take allogenic blood..." Now, "allogenic" refers to blood from another person, as opposed to "autologous" blood, which refers to one's own blood.
    That almost sounds correct. Our PO said multiple times "autologous blood" and that we DO NOT accept this form of transfusion from our own blood. He specifically made sure that he pronounced it correctly and that another bro had told him that it would take him longer to understand it before he could spell it.

I have in front of me a new blood card(I think)-- at least it does not have the 3/99 date at the bottom as they pointed out at the meeting. I wonder if this "short supply" of cards came from a very early printing?? This card has no date whatsoever on it anywhere. Here is the 'meat' of the directive:

I direct that no blood transfusions(whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or blood plasma) be given to me under any circumstances, even if physicians deem such necessary to preserve my life or health.....

This legal directive is an exercise of my right to accept or to refuse medical treatment in accord with my deeply held values and convictions.....

I also know that there are various dangers associated with blood transfusions. So I have decided to avoid such dangers and, instead, to accept whatever risks may seem to be involved in my choice of alternative nonblood management.

If someone has one of the 3/99 cards handy, check and see if there are any differences in the wording. The wording that I left out is fluff and I know is repetitive of the 3/99 cards.
  • AlanF
    AlanF

Jourles, you have in front of you a 3/99 card.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit