Is it unacceptable to stand up for Jehovah's Witnesses on a site called Jehovah's-Witness.net?

by THE GLADIATOR 150 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I read this thread earlier but refrained from posting because I want to avoid the hype about certain trolls, but...well, I do have a couple of thoughts anyway...

The thread title questions: Is it unacceptable to stand up for Jehovah's Witnesses on a site called Jehovah's-Witness.net?

In a word, No - it's not unacceptable to defend JWs. But there are lots of variables that can expand that answer to "well, maybe" or "only in certain things" or "what are you, nuts"

Certain posters are pro-JW but aren't here to defend the faith so much as they just want to agitate and rile people up. They're trolls, pure and simple. Their hit and run attacks never resolve anything, they never answer questions, they never clear up mis-understandings. Their posts are meant to piss people off...and they work.

Their antics work on a board like this because this isn't a hobby board, for mundane things like cars or movies or whatever. This is more of a support forum...for people damaged/hurt or dealing with a religious cult. Therefore feelings run high and people react quicker than if someone insulted their car or favorite pop singer.

At the same time there may come along a defender of the faith that, while in error, may think they're really going to "help" us. Of course, that instance will be rare, but when it does happen, they may not be so timid or quiet. JWs are programmed to believe that they alone have the truth. And if one is here to debate or defend, then they're probably going to pretty staunch about it. And that attitude can come across as arrogant. But if they're willing to actually debate and try to defend the teachings without trollish behavior I think that it's perfectly acceptable that they be here. Who knows who all is lurking and reading...and learning? Allowing JW defenders to try to defend their teachings against the shared knowledge of posters on this board is probably more revealing to hidden lurkers than we realize.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I fail to see why people such as Alice in Wonderland, Bane and others, are regularly singled out as Tolls. Demands are repeatedly made that they are shunned and thrown off the forum; while people like Perry, who rant on with pages of controversial drivel, are considered acceptable?

I personaly don't view any of them as Trolls, just people who feel a need to stand up for what they believe. They come here to thrash out the finer points of their conviction against barrage of ridicule, abuse and criticism.

Although I don't share their viewpoint, I thought the idea of this site was to debate different mindsets?

I am puzzled how such judgement is made? Please educate me.

I am puzzled also.

BTS

• superpunk
    superpunk

Bane Said;

With that said if you apostates donĀ“t want witnesses here then........................CHANGE the name of the site.

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well, at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
    Samir: You know, there's nothing wrong with that name.
    Michael Bolton: There *was* nothing wrong with it... until I was about twelve years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
    Samir: Hmm... well, why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
    Michael Bolton: No way! Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What TD said.

Even what BTS said.

When an apologist can offer a reasoned, non-brainwashed view of the good that is in the Org, that's great - however, there are those that are clearly hypocritical, beam-in-the-eye, hornets-nest whackers.

Whether out of ignorance or commission, they are desperately defending their egos at the cost of fact, and it's like being stuck at the KH again.

Thankfully, I can choose to ignore their posts.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    When an apologist can offer a reasoned, non-brainwashed view of the good that is in the Org, that's great

And do you really expect that from a JW? See the problem is that many ex-JWs here expect that JWs behave or reason like ex-JWs but that is not possibly. They are still JWs and WILL act accordingly. They are gonna act unreasonable, they wont read your posts they will skip any logic and they will attack you and call you names. And that is perfectly ok because they are JWs. Most of us ex-JWs here were like that at some point in the past if we were good JWs.

Every person in this board is expected to defend their point of view. It would be fantastic if we ALL including JWs, Christians, Mormons, Muslims, Satanist and Atheists or whatever could come here express a point without being personally attacked. I love if my posts are attacked, my logic, my reasoning my arguments but not my persona.

Not only they should stand up for their beliefs (jws) but should feel welcomed enough that they feel they can invite their JW friends here. We want more JWS more trolls and more and more people looking at this website. SO PLEASE BANE, ALICE etc etc etc come post more and invite your friends this is a very good site to visit and read!

This FORUM used to be a PRO JW site, that is how it started and gradually turned into what it is now. If people against JWs had been banned then we wouldnt have this forum now.

People who call for banning BANE or ALICE or whatever are uncomfortable having someone who doesnt agree with them near them. If we had only people who agree with us there would be no growth. We would be stagnant. it is thanks to the fact that we have such diversity that we have the opportunity to correct our points of view everyday.

Also dont forget that most people here are shunned by their JW family and relatives and perhaps take that anger against ALL JWs. but guess what people... BANE and ALICE and any other "troll" dont shun you. They are one of the few JWS who actually are willing to speak with you. And I think that is fantastic! I would invite them over for dinner. I dont want them out of this forum at all.

One last thing is that i found that although most people here are ex-JWS many still keep the judgemental attitude of a JW. I am trying really hard to get rid of it because it stinks. I hate when I judge people and I dont even notice it. Thanks to this website I can see how many still cant see that in themselves. People are people. Our brothers and sisters are everyone here and in the world.

Anyway sorry this turned too long. I hate long posts :-)

"is stupid to call someone stupid"

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

oh and BANE, not all EX-JWs are apostates. I am not. I was kicked out for fornication. So if you are gonna refer to people here by their "sin" please address me as fornicator. I am proud of my sin :-)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

TD: the tone of that thread is different because it was back when the forum was more pro-JW and therefore more people agreed with each other, people tend to be kinder when they are amongst people who agree with them

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

cyberjesus

Your long post above sums up what prompted me to start this thread. I agree with your take on the reasons we should be prepared to debate with people whatever their beliefs.

It is through reasoned debate that opinions change.

• moshe
    moshe

I have only two main complaints about the WT religion- their death dealing no-blood transfusion dogma and their shunning treatment of former JWs. Should they ever change in this regard, I will leave them alone. I still think their religion is silly- 1914,1919,1925,1935,1975, etc and a waste of good people's lives. However, it is their life to fritter away, by distributing and studying the WT magazine. At lease they aren't suicide bombers.

• ziddina
    ziddina

never mind... Everyone else's words have already covered it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit