Last Night's Intervention

by brotherdan 154 Replies latest jw friends

• superpunk
    superpunk

Use the likes of Bane, mAlice and Debator to practice your skills. Don't listen to posters who think you shouldn't entertain them. Go for it.

They use the same tactics and logic and blind faith that my family throw at me. It's better to make mistakes with a faceless Watchtower goon on the internet than with your own family members.

I agree completely. There are some threads the trolls shouldn't be on, but they do serve a valuable purpose - not only in reaffirming in our own minds that we've made the right decisions, but in practicing for talking to our friends and relatives, should the opportunity present itself.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Debator

I have never said they are not prophets but that the bible allows prophets to have other jobs than just having inspired sayings of the words of God directly. Prophets in the bible have many jobs including warning work from already written words of God. The proof is on the table of prophets in the bible that are shown never to have been given prophetic sayings.

It you take away the Watchtower's claim to be receiving communications from God, what makes them special?

The scroll was doubtless delivered to Ezekiel by the hand of one of the cherubs in the vision. This would indicate that Jehovah’s witnesses today make their declaration of the good news of the Kingdom under angelic direction and support. (Rev. 14:6, 7; Matt. 25:31, 32) And since no word or work of Jehovah can fail, for he is God Almighty, the nations will see the fulfillment of what these witnesses say as directed from heaven. WT April Fool's day 1972 starting page 197

If you don't believe that what these witnesses say is directed from heaven, aren't you the same as me? I don't believe that either.

Chris

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

leavinwt; fantastic quotes posted here all saved, Debator has not at one stage even addressed one single WT quote that you copied, what a fool.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    leavinwt; fantastic quotes posted here all saved

The most damning things ever printed about Jehovah's Witnesses rolled off of Watchtower printing presses. They've hung themselves with their own rope.

Highly Recommended Book: "Thus Saith Jehovah's Witnesses" (by Randy Watters)

http://www.freeminds-store.com/books/thus-saith-jehovah-s-witnesses.html

• cheerios
    cheerios

what i find interesting about this discussion is that the WTS will not accord the same privilege in reverse ... if you say anything against what they say, you're an automatic apostate ... they don't allow apologists working in reverse for the rank and file ...

• Scully
    Scully

One thing that helped me when I was trying to convince Mr Scully that JWs were full of crap was the quotation from the Insight volume & Aid book that served to define the word LIE.

The WTS's own explanation is along the lines that lying - by avoiding the exposure of the truth (actual true information as opposed to The Truth™) was acceptable if it was done to confound God's enemies (more precisely people opposed to JWs). It justifed this behaviour by saying that these people were not entitled to truthful information.

I thought about the date-setting that I'd lived through personally (1975) and recalled a convention where they were counting down the months and claimed that the next convention would be held in the New System™. The following year, however, when Armageddon™ hadn't come, the scoldings from the platform were along the lines that it was OUR FAULT for wanting it so badly. Well, who were the ones that created those expectations and hopes in the first place? Who were the people responsible for publishing those magazine articles that mentioned dates in the first place? It bothered me, in retrospect, that we were essentially being blamed for believing the Publications™ - which is exactly what they expected us to do!

All that back-peddling and blame-shifting irritated me, until I read that definition in the Insight volume and suddenly it made sense: The Governing Body™ was practicing Theocratic War Strategy™, not on public officials that were intent on hindering the Preaching Work™ as the definition originally implied, but they were applying it to rank-and-file JWs, Joe and Jane Publisher and their families. They considered all Jehovah's Witnesses to be not entitled to truthful information. They were all about self-preservation, about keeping the cash flow going to feed the monster that they'd created, and they didn't care that there were good people who put their trust in the Organization™, and followed its every directive to the letter, no matter how ludicrous or dangerous it was to individual JWs and their children.

When I showed that definition to Mr Scully, and asked him how he would know - in the face of his own experience with Elders™, Ministerial Servants™, Circuit Overseers™, etc. having instructed us from the platform to hide the truth of our beliefs from Householders™, employers, school teachers, etc., - how could he trust that he personally wasn't misled as someone who had been recruited by the JWs? Then we looked through the Live Forever™ book, and saw how deception and manipulation was used from the very first chapter of the "recruitment manual".

That's when it hit him like a 2x4. We attended our last meeting at the Kingdom Hall less than 3 months after that.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Scully,

Interesting. It's true that they use "theocratic warfare" against their own troops. But what should we expect? When they boldly print things like, "Every lie is an untruth, but not every untruth is a lie," you can be sure that is a line used by someone that is a liar with no interest in letting facts get in the way of what they want to believe.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Mad Sweeney, you sir are amazing.

Also, do you still pray to Jehovah? Try dropping the false name and pray to your heavenly Father as directed by Jesus.

I know this was directed to BD, but this was what I had to do myself, I dropped the name Jehovah from my prayers and just started calling him Father. I honestly feel much more connected when I pray.

BD, how about an update? Any follow-up came of this? Thanks for relating your experience again!

• Ice cream
    Ice cream

Mad Sweeney, Superb post!

• undercover
    undercover
    I dropped the name Jehovah from my prayers and just started calling him Father. I honestly feel much more connected when I pray.

"Jevovah" isn't any more a heavenly father or supreme being than Ronald McDonald or Mickey Mouse. The WTS has used the name "Jehovah" as a marketing tool.

The Witnesses haven't made God's name known...they've made the WTS religion known.

When you hear Ronald McDonald, you think McDonald's crappy food. When you hear Mickey Mouse, you think Walt Disney and the theme parks, maybe some movies/cartoons.

When you hear Jehovah, you think 'those crazy door knockers selling WT magazines' or 'those crazy people who'd rather die than take a blood transfusion'. Some people even call them, "those Jehovahs"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit