Who really is the FDS?!?!?!?!?

by LDH 99 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Hey all, Hope you're having a great year so far.

Before Witnet was closed down, there was an interesting discussion regarding the FDS and their failed prophecies. I asked a question, but unfortunately there wasn't enought time to get everyone's view.

So I'll rephrase my posts, and wait to hear from y'all.

If we are so quick to say that the FDS is a false prophet because of some failed prophecies (even tho they say they don't prophecy, we all know better) then how would you explain the bible book of Jonah?
    A faithful prophet, Jonah, followed (after much trial and tribulation to himself) Jehovah's command to declare destruction on the city of Nineveh. Then Jehovah changed his mind and decided not to destroy the city. Jonah was left looking like, well, a jackass. But he followed Jehovah's instructions, and prophesied what turned out to be a falsehood. How did the citizens of Nineveh feel about Jonah? Maybe like some of us feel about the FDS?

What does this example mean, if anything, in relation to the FDS? How much of what they have 'changed their minds' is REALLY Jehovah changing his mind, and not telling anyone?!?!?!

Does anyone have any other examples of Jehovah changing his mind without informing his faithful servants? =:O

• Carmel
    Carmel

LDH,

Does that make the FDS the "Jonahdub Class"?

carmel who changes his mind every seven years

• LDH
    LDH

Ha Ha Carmel that's funny, but I'm serious. I'm wondering how many of us feel like the FDS let us down because we were expecting the end of wickedness, aka, armageddon and it hasn't come.

• ianao
    ianao

Hello.

I would say that it possibly COULD be a matter of Jehovah changing his mind, but JWs have been looking at the same scripture since the 50-60s, and the changes are mostly in Bible interpretation that causes changes in teachings, etc. e.g. "New Light".

My personal inclination is that the WTBTS appointed themselves the FDS. Only time will tell if their will is indeed God's will.

-ianao

• claudia
    claudia

I just feel its dangerous to think Jehovah is changing his mind. Not wise.

• LDH
    LDH

Claudia,

That wasn't the question. Whether or not we think Jehovah has changed his mind doesn't alter the fact that in the past he has, in fact, changed his mind.

The question was, are there many who are disappointed by what they perceive to the 'failed prophecy' but which we may find out in time it was in fact a mind change on the part of Jehovah.

I asked if anyone else had examples of this so called 'false prophet syndrome' (my words).

Note, not the same as Dathan and Abirim who declared that Moses was dead and set about a tragic set of events.

I'm referring the fact that Jehovah AND Jesus have complete liberty to change their plans without informing his human servants.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Jehovah would definitely have the right to change His mind, but I don't think that this would be the determining factor for the authenticity of the FDS.

To me, the major reason for doubting their authority would be the fact that doctrine or "new light" is determined by a 2/3 vote. This hardly seems to be divine inspiration. Additionally, the constant flip-flopping would tend to eliminate them as being God's conduit.

I can see Jehovah's changing His mind about delaying the "time of the end", but other doctrines should either remain as is or be enhanced...not reversed.

• ISP
    ISP

How about the FDS have not been appointed .........yet.

The present claims would be a little like Kissinger re. Carter about foreign policy. 'The problem with Carter is not that he doesn't know anything about foreign policy but that he doesn't know he doesn't know anything about foreign policy.'

ISP

• LDH
    LDH

Tru enough, but you can't get around the scripture stating Jehovah will use the foolish to put the wise to shame.

I guess in some ways I would apply that scripture to the FDS. Yes, plain foolish about some of their reasonings, which has alienated millions who really do want to serve Jehovah and give praise to his son Jesus without whom no salvation at all would be possible.

'2/3 vote' doesn't really bother me, because even Jesus' handpicked disciples couldn't decide whether Jesus was restoring the kingdom to earthly Jerusalem. Which is proof in and of itself that true Christians CAN and ARE confused about the application of Bible prophecy, no?

For me personally, I think the FDS have failed in particular by the mass printing of books, thinking the masses will be ultimately able to rely on the message contained within for their salvation. Of course, our salvation singly rests on our acceptance of Jesus as our Savior and our willingness to express love to all of our neighbors, and Jehovah our heavenly father.

In addition, of course, we have until recently had a GB that looked like any poster of the past Presidents of the United States. Elderly white men whose past has also influenced their present beliefs. No 'world culture' represented by the GB. What?!? Jesus right-hand men are only old white people? No one else is worthy?

That to me, is where the GB have failed. Does anyone remember the 1970's documentary on 60 minutes, "Cracks in the Watchtower?" I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated story.

With all of the disappointment I've read on this and H20, it seems obvious the anger here is directed toward a man-made organization, and not our heavenly father Jehovah, no?

I'm really looking hard for other examples of Jehovah changing his mind in the Bible, if you know of any please!!! post them.

• Venice
    Venice

The FDS was simply an illustration that Jesus was giving about how they needed to keep awake, just like all the other illustrations in the chap. It was not given as a basis for authority. There is no such things as an FDS class. Anyone can be faitful and discreet.

I mean it's like me claiming to be of the 'wise virgins class' [8>]

Venice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit