by alice.in.wonderland 156 Replies latest jw experiences

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Objectivism is a popular philosophy

says who?

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"says who?"

Objectivism has been very popular in the business community and on a personal level for many people, but recent events have changed things some.

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/12/09/who-is-to-blame.html

Who Is To Blame?

Some point to Alan Greenspan. But his hands-off approach to the economy originated with Ayn Rand.

It's not easy being Alan Greenspan these days. As the former Federal Reserve chairman, he urged government regulators to take a light touch while banks like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers buried themselves—and the economy more generally—under a mountain of debt. Now that his reputation is plummeting faster than the stock market, he's been forced to admit a "flaw" in his hands-off ideology.

Of course, things look entirely different to members of "free-market advocacy groups," as they like to be called. One such group is the Ayn Rand Institute, named after the matriarch of the movement, whose antigovernment and anti-regulation views are embodied in her best-selling novels "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead." Indeed, Greenspan himself was a friend of Rand's, and a devotee of her extreme free-market philosophy, known as Objectivism. NEWSWEEK's Barrett Sheridan spoke with the head of the Ayn Rand Institute, Dr. Yaron Brook, about why he defends free markets while much of the rest of the world has turned away from them, and what he thinks of Greenspan today.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Jehovah's Witnesses shunning isn't out of selfish motives.

I couldn't disagree more. I believe shunning is a policy of laziness. It has the practical value of weeding out those who don't fit, who have the nerve to disagree. For the ones who are shunned because of supposed moral fault there is no value to shunning other than to publicly shame and lay upon guilt.

At my last church a man had committed adultery and instead of gossip running rampant, instead of being marked for his actions, he was counseled by the pastor who happened to be a very dear friend and who loved him. This man's heart was broken because he knew he had wronged his wife and ultimately God.

Then at one point during a Sunday sermon this man came up to the platform and apologized to the congregation. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. And he was forgiven by us, by the pastor, and hopefully by God. There were ramifications for what he did, his wife left and divorced him. He has his kids but the mother lives about three hours away.

Tell me what good would shunning would have done in this situtation?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Why are you associating with DF'd people on this board? Doesn't the governing body tell you not to go on these sites? Why are you here? You aren't going to convince anybody.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

“Why are you associating with DF'd people on this board? Doesn't the governing body tell you not to go on these sites? Why are you here? You aren't going to convince anybody.”

The “governing body” isn't anyone's mommy. They simply have a relative position to maintain orderliness like any other administrative position in an organization.

• sherah
    sherah

The GB applies that scripture to shunning DF'd persons. Not following a directive from the GB is a DF'ing offense. You selectively follow the GB admonition by associating with DF'd family and members of this forum. You justify it by saying you are defending the truth. The GB's directive to shun DF persons is absolute, so you in my opinion are a hypocrite. You hold up the WTBS practice of shunning as being scripturally based, yet you don't follow it.

• sherah
    sherah

Yet you ignore 'administrative' directives that admonish you not to associate with DF'd persons. You are a hypocrite.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"You hold up the WTBS practice of shunning as being scripturally based, yet you don't follow it."

And you adhere to all of God's laws? I'm not a hypocrite because I haven't professed to be anyone or anything I'm not.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    The “governing body” isn't anyone's mommy. They simply have a relative position to maintain orderliness like any other administrative position in an organization.

"If we are to walk in the light of truth we must recognize not only Jehovah God as our Father but his organization as our mother.... Today, also, God requires and exacts from his children obedience honor and respect. These must be rendered not only to the living God himself, but to his wifely organization as well" Watchtower, 1 May 1957, p. 274

Who's your mother now Alice?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm not a hypocrite because I haven't professed to be anyone or anything I'm not.

"The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deceptioin, the one who lies with sincerity" ~ Andre Gide

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit