PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT- CULTURE

by serenitynow! 113 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"If the wo rd hurts them so much, then why do they use it?"

Silly question for an "apostate" to ask.

Why do we call our meet-ups "apostafest"? Why do we, as a group, chuckle when calling each other apostates, but bristle if it is directed at us by a Jehovah's Witness?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

broken promises said: " If the word hurts them so much, then why do they use it?"

To take the power out of the word? Who knows? Maybe ask a black person who uses the word and find out.

Well, instead of taking it upon yourself to answer the question, you could have left it for a black poster to answer it.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You do have a point, Six. But using “apostate” creates hardly the hysteria among us that the “N” word does.

But it was an honest question and I was hoping that a non-white person could explain why they use it. BTW, I don’t live in the States so I rarely ever see an American black person here, let alone be in the position to ask them the question.

• MsDucky
  • lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

broken promises said: "Well, instead of taking it upon yourself to answer the question, you could have left it for a black poster to answer it.

Fair enough.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You do have a point, Six. But using “apostate” creates hardly the hysteria among us that the “N” word does.

Well we're hardly as oppressed and de-humanized as black people were, now are we? And while I think it's absolutely true that racist use "nigger" in almost the exact same context as Jehovah's Witnesses use "apostate" (to control, repress, and dehumanize), we don't have to fear that society as a whole might turn on us, do we? Blacks, Jews, and goddamn Albanerians do have such a fear, they've seen it happen before and they see elements of society - in power - who would be happy to return to the "good old days".

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

As my mother use to say "If she jumps off a bridge, are you going to do it too"?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You know, I think exJWs aka “apostates” are just as oppressed and dehumanised as black people were. Maybe it’s not at the same scale, but it’s a situation which many of us live with. Many lose family, jobs and even their lives due to being ostracised for being a nonJW. It happens to everyone that leaves in some way.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So apostates get pulled over while driving by the cops too?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You know, I think exJWs aka “apostates” are just as oppressed and dehumanised as black people were.

I.... I'm speechless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit