PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT- CULTURE

by serenitynow! 113 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"Don't you want to touch my hair???"

No, but that's me. It's not some character flaw if you want to touch a person's hair though, you just gotta be careful about grabbing somebody's hair.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Well I'm old, and blacks makes more sense and is more human to me. African Americans sounds so phony and ridiculous. Hispanics seems right, because there are so many nations under that umbrella, but ultimately, I think it's wrong too. My head hurts.

As for the hair, I had a friend as a child, and I remember being at her house when her mom was combing her hair. It seemed pure hell. I would totally cut my hair short, or braid it and never take it out. When I was a kid, naturals were in. I think that is a great look.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    "Don't you want to touch my hair???"
    No, but that's me. It's not some character flaw if you want to touch a person's hair though, you just gotta be careful about grabbing somebody's hair.

I'm just kiddin'. Comedy rules. Wait, you haven't even seen my hair! You might want to touch it!

• agonus
    agonus

On the movie... I dunno... I guess Tiana herself wasn't too "mammy", but the setting/theme/story at times seemed more than a little... well, unenlightened. If you want a story about an empowered black woman (even if it's for kids), you could do a lot better than early-20th-century N'Awlins, gumbo, and voodoo. I guess it's a testament to Tiana's character that she didn't quite get mired (no pun intended) in stereotype. That, or maybe she was just too bland to be a stereotype. In which case she fits in with most Disney girls (except Belle, who I plan to marry if I ever make it to cartoon heaven). The movie was sure pretty to look at though.

I have to admit, though, as a white guy, I sometimes find the "N" word both funny and offensive. "Funny" depends on the context. For example, on a recent Boondocks, there was a debate as to whether it was OK for whites to say the "N-word" if the pronunciation was somewhat altered. The examples included (this made me just about pee my pants) "nigga" with a silent "P".

Again, if I offend, I apologize, but I come to this board to be honest, as I know the rest of you do.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    That's all right, you don't have to like what I said. But I would like to know are you upset that I feel blacks can say it, or that I don't want you to say it?

It's a blatant double standard. We shouldn't do it but it's ok if we do--you shouldn't do it not matter what. As I said, that's bull crap and will earn you no respect from me.

• agonus
    agonus

"I prefer blacks. I refuse to say african american."

Sounds like you're as fed up with political correctness as we are. But then, didn't "we" invent it after all?

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Sounds like you're as fed up with political correctness as we are. But then, didn't "we" invent it after all?

Speak for yourself white boy!

• shamus100
    shamus100

White-bread.

• agonus
    agonus

"It wasn't til I was an adult that they progressed to the point of making a black princess. We (black girls) want to be princesses too! It's important when you are a minority to see yourself represented."

I take it you never saw "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves"?

Real cartoon. Dead serious. Cartoons were just racist as hell back in the day. Of course, American cartoons were made mostly by Jews around that time... you know, before everything was drawn overseas in Korean studios.

Boy, I am on a roll today... my apologies... but there's nothing more offensive than truth... except for maybe The Truth TM .

• agonus
    agonus

Don't make me say the "M" word, Shamus...

kiss kiss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit