The next dub that says "the light's getting brighter" to me...

by undercover 88 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

What's most telling is when the Dubs say, "You know, the OLD explanation never made any sense to me..."

Uh huh. And yet you went along with it, like ALL prior expositions, with nary a raised eyebrow or concerned question to your local elder?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I loved Childrens Choice! Good old Tony Blackburn.

• pirata
    pirata

Kingdom Song Vol. 99, Rap Version. From the GB2U.

Yo, other sheep, listen up!

The light's so bright, it's shining out our @sses!

The shining chariot's how we control the masses!

Evidently, you need your sunglasses!

Unless you want God to turn you into molasses!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

They're clearly grasping at straws. The more I think about it, the angrier I get at the insult to the intelligence the explaination truely is. It's not quite as unbelievable as the (still on the books) teaching that the seven seals of Revelation were 7 conventions in the 1920s but it's not too far off.

If I hadn't wakened up by now, this change certainly would have made me question.

• agonus
    agonus

Heh, the GB would allow rap music to play in the KH before they dropped 1914.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I once tried to reason with my parents about the "light getting" brighter" and got nowhere.

Here's my reasoning with them:

Suppose you woke up in the early part of the morning and it is still quite dark in the house. You go through the house and don't turn on any lights for fear of waking someone up. You get to the kitchen and see something that appears to be a yellow color on the counter. As you go through the kitchen to the light switch you KNOW there are bananas there because you had bought them just yesterday. When you turn on the light you see that there are indeed bananas there, you put them there. But you aren't going to turn on the light and see apples or oranges.

I just don't understand how it is possible for the R&F to justify complete turnarounds in beliefs. Yet they still do it. *sigh*

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

What I don't understand about the light getting brighter thing is this, when you flick the switch to turn your lights on at home don't they instantly come on at the full brightness? It's not like some old time TV that you may have had to turn on to warm up 10 minutes before your show comes on for crying out loud. What is the gradually getting brighter thing? Does the HS just give a little bit of light at a time? It just defies common sense.

• changeling
    changeling

I'm with ya, undercover! :)

• Terry
    Terry

A tendency to drastically underestimate the frequency of coincidence is a prime characteristic of innumerates, who generally accord great significance to correspondences of all sorts while attributing too little significance to quite conclusive but less flashy statistical evidence.
    John Allen Paulos, Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences

Let's look at the possible options involved when a person wants to determine the facts about something.

1.They can make a wild guess

2.They can estimate based on some existing data.

3.They can follow a higher authority and adopt consensus

4.They can wait until a sufficient sample is available and deduce a meaningful hypothesis

Let's say you wanted to know how many square miles there are on Earth's surface. How would you go about it?

I'll wait while you tackle the problem in your head. Do the best you can and then write the figure down on a piece of paper.

Start with any fact you already know and see where it leads you..............

What number did you come up with?

How comfortable are you with it? Strongly confident? Confident? Somewhat confident? Mildly confident? Barely confident? Fairly certain you are dead wrong?

You see from this exercise that just tackling a fairly ordinary factual problem (there is a definite provable solution) requires specific information to BEGIN with.

Without it--you may as well make a wild guess.

Here is how the problem can be done.

The radius of Earth at the equator is about 3963 miles. The surface area of a sphere is given by Area = 4 pi r 2 , so the surface of the earth is: 4 x 3.14159 x 3963 miles x 3963 miles = 197,359,320.78684 square miles, plus a little extra to compensate for the vertical height of mountains and depth of valleys.

So, the correct answer is: About 198 million square miles.

How close did you get?

Ask yourself: How do we know the radius of the Earth in the first place? How do we know the formula for the surface of a sphere?

Without those previously figured facts where would we be??

What point am I making?

When the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses have made chronology their focus they built on what others have done before them.

That is their data source. The Adventists (William Miller in particular) used bible passages and also interpretations of certain perceived prophecies.

We are not talking FACTS. We are talking surmise, conjecture, guesswork and preconceived supposition.

None of these are facts!

The Bible, as we all have come to regretfully acknowledge, is itself an estimate of things said and done which was first oral storytelling!

Nothing comes from nothing.

You can't be precise based on non-factual starting materials!

You can believe your estimate of the surface of the Earth BECAUSE somebody told you. But, how did THEY figure it out?

The process is the key to understanding!

Facts are the SAME for everybody.

Opinion is what differs.

1914 as the second coming of Jesus is not FACT. It is opinion. Opinion based on what? Storytelling interpreted and estimated into writing! Based on what? Belief in the story.

When a Jehovah's Witness sits down to "explain" how 1914 is contained in the Bible what are they really doing?

They are basing their process on a series of weaker and weaker connections none of which is provable, demonstrable or actual data.

If any part of any step is a false step the entire conclusion collapses into rubble.

How would this be possible to detect?

If any tentative estimate is used to create a prediction which does not take place in reality the initial premise is FALSE.

To make a long story short: Jehovah's Witnesses are not much more than an organization of people who can believe the Earth is flat by writing numbers on a sheet of paper while ignoring photos from space satellites.

Or, worse: an authoritarian regime who dominate the lives of unwitting believers who accept a long series of false premises as though they were facts.

The Book of Genesis says of the Flood that ‘… all the high hills that were under the whole heaven were covered…’ Taken literally, this seems to indicate that there were 10,000 to 20,000 feet of water on the surface of the earth, equivalent to more than half a billion cubic miles of liquid! Since, according to biblical accounts, it rained for forty days and forty nights, or at least for only 960 hours, the rain must have fallen at the rate of at least fifteen feet per hour, certainly enough to sink any aircraft carrier, much less an ark with thousands of animals on board.

– John Allen Paulos, Innumeracy

You see, when we can test our imagined "facts" against actual facts the results can be quite devasting to our false premises.

• knock knock
    knock knock

when you flick the switch to turn your lights on at home don't they instantly come on at the full brightness?

Nope. CFL's. "New Lights" Which only gives the WT a new angle. "Just as newer technology allows CFL bulbs to burn brighter (after an appropriate warm up time) and with less energy wasted, so we too....."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit