which are the strong points of the WT?

by marcopolo 107 Replies latest jw friends

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

they make good fans when your feeling a little toasty.

• debator
    debator

Hi Psacra and Isaac

Romans 10:13 is a direct quote from joel 2:32

Joel 2:32

32 And everyone who calls
    on the name of Jehovah will be saved;
    for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem
    there will be deliverance,
    as Jehovah has said,
    among the survivors
    whom Jehovah calls.

The "lord" in romans 10:13 can have no choice but to be "Jehovah" because it is a direct scriptural quote.

Hi Outlaw

And your point? Jehovah is the English version of YHWH. I'm sure Jesus or any other English name in English language bibles are from Christian sources since it was Christian Scholars in the past that translated the bible and transliterated the names in it. Very often these were men who held religious positions.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator said: Hi Psacra and Isaac Romans 10:13 is a direct quote from joel 2:32 Joel 2:32 32 And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as Jehovah has said, among the survivors whom Jehovah calls. The "lord" in romans 10:13 can have no choice but to be "Jehovah" because it is a direct scriptural quote. My reply: Baseless assertion by you. It assumes that the writer was quoting verbatim. It also kills the entire context. As I am sure you are aware there are over 5000 manuscripts all in agreement here that the correct translation is Lord.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

As I illustrated to you earlier in Matthew and Luke, there would have been a large hue and cry by the religious leaders had Jesus and his followers used the Divine name. No such argument is recorded.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Ans of course we know the WT missed a spot in 'replacing' the word 'Lord" with Jehovah when quoting the OT in a NT verse..because it would contradict their theology.

Heb 1:10-12 in the NWT

10 And: “You at [the] beginning, O Lord, laid the foundations of the earth itself, and the heavens are [the] works of your hands. 11 They themselves will perish, but you yourself are to remain continually; and just like an outer garment they will all grow old, 12 and you will wrap them up just as a cloak, as an outer garment; and they will be changed, but you are the same, and your years will never run out.”

This is a quote of Psalm 102:25-7

24 I proceeded to say: “O my God,
    Do not take me off at the half of my days;
    Your years are throughout all generations.

25 Long ago you laid the foundations of the earth itself,
    And the heavens are the work of your hands.

26 They themselves will perish, but you yourself will keep standing;
    And just like a garment they will all of them wear out.
    Just like clothing you will replace them, and they will finish their turn.

27 But you are the same, and your own years will not be completed.

I included verse 24 so you can see who is being addressed here. According to the WT's own standards, Heb 1:10-12 should read:

“You at [the] beginning, O Jehovah,

Look at the prior verses in Heb 1 and you will see it is the Father addressing Jesus.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." NIV

If the WT followed its own rules for "translating," verse 9 should read, "Jesus is JEHOVAH.

Think about it.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Debator.

Yes, Paul is quoting Joel and APPLYING it to Jesus as is QUITE clear:

9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved . 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” f 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” g

• debator
    debator

Hi isaac

Since Witnesses contend as per proverbs 8 that Jesus was Jehovah's "master worker" and so helped with creation this is not a good comparison.

Hi snowbird

I think the scripture supports the witness intepretation unless you are saying "lord" is the name of Jesus and not a title.

We confess Jesus is "lord" a title or his new God-given position and then scriptures later we have the bit that quotes joel is saying "those that call on the NAME of Jehovah" are saved. One is a title and one is a name these are clearly citing different words and not in reference to each other.

• snowbird
    snowbird

ONE Greek word - kurios.

Think about it some more.

Syl

• debator
    debator

Hi psacra

I made my point above but to add to yours, it isn't just talking about Jesus it says "and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be saved"

So it's actually referencing God after Jesus as saviour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit