which are the strong points of the WT?

by marcopolo 107 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator, the Divine name appeared about 7000 times in the OT, as the extant copies of manuscripts show. There is no evidence whatsoever that it appeared in the NT, as the 5000+ copies also show. The Wt has crossed the line of translation and ented into inserting their doctrine into the translation.

• blondie
    blondie

I might mention that a search of the WT-CD will find info from the WTS that they do not consider themselves pacificists.

They do support war, God's war (their definition). They look forward to 6 billion men, women, children, babies, unborn babies, being slaughtered never to live again.

• freydo
    freydo

debator - I have asked two questions that you have ignored.

• debator
    debator

Hi freydo

I think you will find I did answer them, first saying "jesus" and then wanting you to clarify if you meant the original languages the bible was written and inspired in, which is Ancient hebrew, Aramaic and Greek?

Hi Isaac

Your point really isn't to do with pronouciation but usage which is a different Topic. I would like to clarify things first.

Do you think the hebrew scriptures are the inspired word of God as well as the Greek?

So when they wrote YHWH 7000 times This is the name for God?

Because your words seem to hint that the greek scriptures cancel this name out, which they don't. Jesus quoted the Hebrew texts many times as did various writers of the Greek scriptures, upholding them. It is only logical that we use God's name from the hebrew for when it is quoting from hebrew. Rather than the unispired "lord" a later false addition to the hebrew scriptures. Also "lord" is clearly used in the greek to indicate our father Jehovah but also his son which leads to a confusion on identity which is not logical. Since no original manuscripts from the greek exist the nearest being about 70+ years away, I agree with witnesses that it was likely that the greek scriptures like the hebrew replaced "YHWH" with "Lord" due to superstition on the part of later copyists.

Jesus words make no indication that God's name is to be changed to "Lord" quite the contrary.

Matthew 6:9 (New International Version)

9 "This, then, is how you should pray:
    " 'Our Father in heaven,
    hallowed be your name,

What name was Jesus refering too? YHWH

John 12:28
    " Father, glorify Your name " Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."

John 17:26 (New American Standard Bible)

26 and (A) I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that (B) the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."

The only name Jesus could be refering to is YHWH/Jehovah or are you saying he is talking about the title "lord" here?

The BIble itself tells us Jehovah/YHWH is Almighty God's name we are not adding something that isn't already in the bible and unless Your arguing that "Lord" is God's new name? I cannot see a point to your argument? Why would God give us his name YHWH/Jehovah 7000 times only to take it away? and not tell his son this either, who was clearly using it and making it known?

Jehovah's witnesses only add YHWH sparingly 237 times to the Greek (which technically isn't adding to the bible since YHWH is God's inspired name) I know that "Lord" replacing "Jehovah" is used a lot more in the Greek scriptures upto 1000 times. At least 50 of those are direct quotes from the hebrew scriptures and more are references to the hebrew but also to make sense when there is confusion between Jehovah "Lord" and Jesus "Lord"

While I respect your viewpoint Isaac. This YHWH Issue would only highlight peoples doubts in the Bible rather than support anyone's Christian beliefs.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator said:

Do you think the hebrew scriptures are the inspired word of God as well as the Greek?

So when they wrote YHWH 7000 times This is the name for God?

My reply: yes and yes

Debator said:

Because your words seem to hint that the greek scriptures cancel this name out, which they don't. Jesus quoted the Hebrew texts many times as did various writers of the Greek scriptures, upholding them. It is only logical that we use God's name from the hebrew for when it is quoting from hebrew. Rather than the unispired "lord" a later false addition to the hebrew scriptures. Also "lord" is clearly used in the greek to indicate our father Jehovah but also his son which leads to a confusion on identity which is not logical. Since no original manuscripts from the greek exist the nearest being about 70+ years away, I agree with witnesses that it was likely that the greek scriptures like the hebrew replaced "YHWH" with "Lord" due to superstition on the part of later copyists.

Jesus words make no indication that God's name is to be changed to "Lord" quite the contrary.

My reply: Cancel out? Not at all. Yahweh/Jehovah is the name of the Divine being revealed to us in the name of Jesus. Even is the corrupt NWT the name Jesus outnumbers that of Jehovah 900+ times to 237. It is not at all logical to insert the name Jehovah even into a quote of the OT bearing the Divine name. That assumes that the writer was quoting verbatim, as opposed to following a long standing tradtion that Jesus seemed to have no issue with. There are no recorded struggles or heated arguments among the apostles and Jesus with the religious leaders over the use of the name Jehovah that the NWT has them using. Had they uttered the Divine name the religious leaders would have taken exception. In Luke when the religious leaders were trying to trap Jesus the NWT has Jesus telling them the greatest commandment was "you must love Jehovah..."and they dared not ask him anymore questions. Had Jesus used the name Jehovah they would have jumped on him screaming blasphemy. Or how about Luke 10

Luke 10:

25Now, look! a certain man versed in the Law rose up, to test him out, and said: “Teacher, by doing what shall I inherit everlasting life?” 26 He said to him: “What is written in the Law? How do you read?” 27 In answer he said: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole strength and with your whole mind,’ and, ‘your neighbor as yourself.’” 28 He said to him: “You answered correctly; ‘keep on doing this and you will get life.’”

Here we have the NWT claiming that a scholar of the Law used the Divine name. Completely illogical.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

You also quote verses using the word 'name'...which you simply take to mean a proper name. However, even the JWs own publication show that name can have a much deeper meaning of the person behind the name...which is the case in John 17.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Name means so much in Hebrew and in Greek.

In the name of the King, in the name of the Law, etc, etc.

To think that God can be "lowered" to a point where mere letters can defien what God is, WHO God is, is just silly.

Jesus, is our lord and savoir, all power and authority have been give to him from God, to deny Jesus his prpoer place:

The name above all names, no other name under heaven for our salavation, Jesus is Lord

Is an insult to God, God who has give ALL to Jesus.

Paul makes it clear: Jesus is Lord and all that call upon the Lord wil be saved.

What lord? JESUS, to insert Jehovah there in Romans is an insult to Paul, to Jesus, to God and a corruption of scripture.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

PSAc, the insertion of Jehovah in Romans 10:13 kills the enitre context...where we are told to confess, and proclaim Jesus but then call on Jehovah for salvation.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Debator..

The only name Jesus could be refering to is YHWH/Jehovah.....Debator

Jesus would have never used the name Jehovah..

The name Jehovah is a Translation Mistake,made by a 14th century Catholic Monk..

That mistake has been inserted into the WBT$ NWT Bible..

Without the Catholics..

The WBT$ would not have a Name for their Cult Religion..Or thier God..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

They have some of the finest window washers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit