• snowbird
    snowbird

Nothing wrong with that verse.

He called God His Father, not Jehovah.

Just proves my point.

Syl

• Titus
    Titus
    How many times does Paul call Jesus Lord and Saviour? I lost track ! Peter, James, John, Titus, all do the same thing.

I have never said that!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

LOL !

Nice one.

There are epistles that, even in the NWT, don't have ONE mentions of "Jehovah" at all.

• freydo
    freydo

http://www.eliyah.com/thescriptures/

The Third Commandment: What does it mean? RealAudio version | MP3 version

"Many take the third commandment to mean that we should not use the Heavenly Father's name alongside a swear word or profanity. I could see where it certainly might mean this. Others say that taking His name on our lips while living a life of sin is another way of taking His name in vain. I agree with this also.

However, I have found that the third commandment means much more than this. Replacing the Heavenly Father's name with a title of our own choosing such as "the LORD", "GOD", "Adonai", or "Ha Shem" is another way of taking His name in vain. Let's look at the third commandment as written in the King James Bible:

Deuteronomy 5:11 "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold [him] guiltless that taketh his name in vain."

If we examine this verse in the Hebrew text that the King James Bible was translated from, we would not find "The LORD" or any word that carries such a meaning. What is actually there is the Heavenly Father's true name, "Yahweh". I believe it is important to consider whether or not this tradition is something the Heavenly Father would desire us to follow.

Let's take a moment and look at the Webster's dictionary definition of the word "vain".............."

• Juli
    Juli

I've always felt that the JWs painted themselves into the corner of having to call their God "Jehovah" because of the 144,000 anointed doctrine. If only 144,000 are brothers of Christ and entitled to use the term "Father" then to whom do the unwashed masses direct their prayers? That stupid erroneous doctrine has led to all of the twisting and turning the WT has done to justify their bible version, their doctrine, and their shutting off heaven to their followers.

Jesus did not call his Father by his first name, and neither should we. it's disrespectful IMO and denigrates the name that Jesus said to keep "Hallowed". That means to keep it holy, and sacred - not something used by a corporate publishing company.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Hi outlaw
    Since the original vowel sounds have been lost any addition of vowels to YHWH are a guess.
    So you prefer to think of "Jehovah" as a mistake and "Yahweh" as less of a mistake?

You have no idea what your talking about..

The name Jehovah is recognized by everyone,except you and a few other ill educated JW`s,as incorrect..

But the basic point we keep skirting around stands. That is, that YHWH is Gods name completely not needing vowels to change this.

The subject is about the name Jehovah..Not YHWH..Not Jesus..

Not KFC`s new Chicken Sandwich without Bread..The subject is about,the name Jehovah

So adding vowels to help pronouciation in our language can niether make it correct or incorrect just easier to say in our language.
    Jehovah is fully Gods name as the established English version simply because it uses YHWH.

Your not a fast learner

I feel we will never agree on this and you prefer to comfortably think adding vowels
    to YHWH to help us pronounce it in our language can make it less Gods name in some way. I disagree.

The subject is still "not" about YHWH.....Or.....KFC`s new Chicken Sandwich..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

uhmm, 5 pages later and I think I finally found a strong WT point.

They illicit very emotional responses from both, those who truely know scripture and those who think they know scripture.

Very entertaining and educational to boot.

Keep it up guys!

dc

• freydo
    freydo

The subject is about the name Jehovah..Not YHWH..Not Jesus..

Not KFC`s new Chicken Sandwich without Bread..

Does it come with pickles?

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Hi Outlaw - Can you please supply the references for the great quotes below...

The Usage of Jehovah Came From Catholicism

Yet a different piece of Watchtower literature states the same embarrassing information about the word Jehovah, but elaborates as to its Catholic origin in 1270:

By combining the vowel signs of 'Adho.nay and 'Elo.him' with the four consonants of the Tetragrammaton the pronunciations Yeho.wah' and Yehowih' were formed. The first of these provided the basis for the Latinized form "Jehova(h)." The first recorded use of this form dates from the thirteenth century C.E. Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270. Hebrew scholars generally favor "Yahweh" as the most likely pronunciation.(6)

Please note: Hebrew scholars generally favor "Yahweh" as the most likely pronunciation.

Bruce Metzger, who criticizes the KJV's misusage of Jehovah, gives additional information:(7)

The form "Jehovah" is of late medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word .... (1) The word "Jehovah" does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew. (2) The use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom the true God had to be distinguished, began to be discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.(8)

• ssn587
    ssn587

IMO it is the overwhelming stench of the BS coming from their talks, DC's SAD's etc. their theo school, just the hall itself. That stench is overpowering and cause untold harm to those exposed to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit