which are the strong points of the WT?

by marcopolo 107 Replies latest jw friends

• debator
    debator

Is correct pronouciation of God's name from it's original language a bible requirement? There are no scriptures saying this!

My reading from the Bible indicates transliteration of names from one language to another is common and goes without saying biblically. Since the bible is written in numerous languages, Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic and makes no mention that this is wrong or not allowed. Our word for God's son "Jesus" is the English version and bears little in common in pronouciation with the original. Jehovah is just the established English version of YHWH (which is the FULL name for Jehovah in the vowelless Ancient Hebrew)

• streets76
    streets76

They are screamingly funny.

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

I agree with designs. Not going to war, the non-racial-discrimation thing (though I've seen it in some Spanish congs in the USA), the MS does teach you good qualities as a speaker and how to address a large group of people, I've won several competitions thanks to this. And let's face it, they do have a strong social network, thinking back to my good old days, you could be anywhere and meet somebody, the second you learned you were both witnesses, you instantly became bestest friends. (even though it's all conditional).

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

That's like asking what the strong points are of a pedophile!

Blondie I beg to differ: Just qualifying the entire Organization as being a Pedophile is not fair. Just as it wouldn't be fair to dub the entire Roman Catholic Church as such just because so many cases have emmerged. There are good people with good qualities in both (and all) religions. That a few nutcase/disturbing individuals pop up here and there.....well..... Let he who is not a little insane cast the first stone.

Jedi Master

• Quandry
    Quandry

They can foretell the future.

One of the governing body recently said at a Convention that in the New System snakes will get "pretty mouth parts," and that "all the continents will come together as one big land mass."

Of course, they also foretold in the WT magazine that the preaching work would be complete by the end of the 20th century. Oh, yeah, they also at one time said that 1914 would be the end of this system, and that young people in the 1960's should face the fact that they'd never grow old in this system.

They also have always been at the cutting edge of medical advancements. They used to believe and teach that vaccinations were like taking pus into the body. They taught that the heart was the literal place of the conscience. They said that organ transplants were like cannibalization, and that the recipient of the transplant could take on the personality of the donor.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Oh, here's another one. Thanks for helping me to remember.

If a person reads all the Watchtower and Awake magazines, they can get the equivalent of a college education.

I wonder if anyone has ever walked up to a University and asked for their diploma, citing this as their qualification?

• Quandry
    Quandry

Oh, here's another one.

Individual Witnesses don't have to do any research. The WTS has done it all for you. In fact, you should not think independently at all. They do that for you, too.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Darn, I forgot.

If you are married to a person that isn't a Witness, they help you to see that, "It is like kissing a corpse," because your spouse will die at Armageddon.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Am I the only one that remembers many of the strong points of the WT? I guess being "in" for over thirty years helps. I know so many......

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I must respectively disagree with designs and jedimaster. The no war thing is unscriptural. The old testament is filled with battles being fought at God's command. The new testament has many examples of Jesus meeting soldiers and he never once instructed them to leave their occupation. As a matter of fact in Math 8;10, Jesus praises a centurian for his faith. Acts 10;22-48 speaks of Cornelius, another [Roman] centurian, as the first Gentile member of the Church. an officer, a rightous and God fearing man. In Luke 3;14 John the Baptist instructs those in the military 'not to harass anybody or accuse them falsely and to be satisfied with their provisions'. Where is this no wars thing? It also makes no sense to not defend your loved ones, your community or your country against unjust agression. Where would the world be? Much worse off I am sure. I need only to read scripture to confirm that. It also makes no sense to say that if everyone were a JW, there would be no wars. Only if everyone followed the WT laws on war would there be no war. The same can be said if everyone followed the 10 commandments, then there would be no war. Who wouldn't defend their home and family from thugs? Better question. Who wouldn't want to defend their home from thugs? dc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit