What Stupid Things Were You Counseled For?

by minimus 146 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I've always been told that I have a very good personality, that I'm humorous, etc.

One elder called me over and said that I was "smiling too much" and that I should "look more serious".....if I wanted to be a Servant. So I rarely laughed or smiled for about a month until everyone asked what was going on.

The other elders talked to the elder who counseled me and he came back to say that I should be like I was .

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I was counciled for watching 90210 and Melrose Place. Obviously it caused me to commit adultery and be disfellowshipped.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I had a dress that had some chinese symbols on it. I was told that since I didn't know what they meant, I probably shouldn't wear it to the Hall.

The elder pointed to one near my shoulder and said, "For instance, what does this one say?"

I told him, "I think it says, "If you can read this, you're too close."

• JWoods
    JWoods

I was counseled for buying a new 1967 Corvair Monza 2-door coupe as my first car. I honestly had no idea that it was somehow "wrong" to not have a 4-door car. I would not have bought a 4 door anyway, but it was true that I did not know this was "wrongdoing".

Nobody said much of anything when I traded it for a 1969 Porsche 911T Targa two years later.

Guess they thought it would not have made any difference -

• minimus
    minimus

Palmtree, that was a great response!

• undercover
    undercover

The color/style of my neckties

The length of my hair

The style of my mustache/for not shaving close enough

The style of my overcoat

The style of my casual dress clothes

The jewelry I wore (shouldn't have been wearing any was the counsel)

The kind of car I drove (four doors instead of a muscle car)

The music I listened to

The company I kept (apparently not all JWs are fit to be associated with)

The hours spent in field service (not enough)

Who I sat next to at a KH meeting (did you know that in one congregation I was in, that if a single brother sat next to a single sister, that it was basically a wedding engagement announcement to the rest of the congregation?)

Counseled to quit my job and pioneer (no shit - an elder who just retired after 40 some years and had a big fat pension and moved South where it was cheaper pulled me aside and told me to quit my job...that it would improve my relationship with Jehovah. I just laughed at him)

Is that enough, or should I go on?

• Think About It
    Think About It

Counseled for being "too huggy" with the sisters. That elder was a negative idiot anyway.

Think About It

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Involving almost an entire congregation in one of my crazy partys..

Not bad..Just crazy..

Have you ever seen,dam near a whole congregation at a JC?..

LOL!!..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• Denial
    Denial

i was also counseled for my hair when i was teenager. they called me into a meeting and after a long speech about how "there is no official length" . . . . . they told me that my hair should not pass my shirt collar. so...i cut my hair and kept smoking weed and drinking underage......which i would be conseled for a little while later :p

• undercover
    undercover
    Counseled for being "too huggy" with the sisters.

I had a friend that got the same counsel. He was loved by everyone.... just a great big teddy bear of a guy. Brothers and sisters...we all got big bear hugs from this guy.

The elders ganged up on him and told him to not touch the sisters...period. It crushed him. Afterwards for the next couple of weeks - until everyone figured it out - a lot of the sisters, single, married, old, young, came up to him and tried to hug him and he would recoil, pull away from them. It was really quite sad to see someone have to fight to keep from showing natural affection to his friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit