Would Witnesses REALLY drink the "Kool-aid" if the faithful slave told them to? Yes or no?

by Witness 007 116 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I haven't read through all of the replies to this - just the first page, and this one.

My thoughts?

Yes - I believe that if told to - the vast majority of the JWs would do as told - whatever it was - if it was a directive from the GB ib Brooklyn (or wherever they hang their hats these days).

I base this on the fact (yes, I said FACT) that 99.9% of the JWs currently do NOT partake of the 'emblems' at the memorial that is held each year. They are TOLD not to... oh - unless they are of the 'annointed' - which is that other 0.1% (yeah - my percentages are probably not accurate).

So. Would they obey direction to do something that they are told to do - even if it means their demise?

I truly believe that they would.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it WILL happen or is even LIKELY to happen. I didn't think that was what this discussion was about. I thought we were talking about IF it DID happen, a hypothetical situation, how much of the rank and file would go along with it and under what circumstances.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I know, Mad Sweeny. And I think that many would if told, do that. But I personally see that hypothetical number as I said before, is broke down by being an educated (less supertitous) westerner vs a more isolated (and more superstitious) 3rd worlder.

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

I wonder what they DO have in mind though when they say things like, "Are you willing to obey instructions, even if you don't agree/understand/find them strange/etc." At times it's been asked along with the example of Moses leading the people to the Red Sea with the pharaoh's troops in pursuit. They've been conditioning the flock to anticipate such an emergency for as long as I can remember...at least 50 years.

• agonus
    agonus

"Since then, there isn't the circumstances, and there won't be, for this to happen."

Wish I had your optimism and faith in human nature, buddy. Did we learn from WWI? You'd think a WWII never should have happened. But it did - and it brought with it the Holocaust...

And that's all I have to say about that.

• agonus
    agonus

"Are you willing to obey instructions, even if you don't agree/understand/find them strange/etc."

Yeah, they've been hammering that pretty hard lately. In one of the Kool-Aid WTs recently it mentioned the possibility of receiving "detailed" instructions. Not just any old instructions... "detailed" ones.

Wasn't there a recent thread on the WT's careful choice of words lately?

• agonus
    agonus

My ex-wife once metioned that she felt that the idea of living in compounds was "comforting"...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    it is my very strong assertion that JW's aren't that kind of cult and that the GB won't ever come to a point where this will ever happen.

Yes, I agree. They won't ever ask their members to commit mass suicide like in Jonestown.

The members already carry on their persons a suicide card. Should the JW arrive at an ER unconscious, needing plasma or whole blood, he or she will be sacrificed on the WT Altar of medical and religious quackery.

The number of JW dead as a result of the No Blood doctrine makes Jonestown look insignificant. JW deaths in various places -- one at a time -- around the globe because of the no Blood Doctrine doesn't have the Shock Factor that a mass suicide has.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ATJ..

Do you remember the Assemblys?..

And..

How even a Mediocre Speaker could get the crowd into a Clapping Frenzy?..

Like a bunch of Trained Seals..

If the WBT$ took the time to condition JW`s.....A year or 2 in advance of a big Kool-Aid Party..

I`ll bet a minimum of 30%-50% would meet their demise,right here in Canada and the USA..

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/31/kool_aid_2.gif

................... ...OUTLAW

• bennyk
    bennyk

It is not a likely scenario. However, purely as idle musing...

What is published in The Watchtower is viewed by many Witnesses as the very words of Almighty God. The directives of the Governing Body are viewed as "Law" by many/most Elders. The Society has been very adroitly conditioning its followers to accept its interpretations unhesitatingly. Those who are viewed as "strong" Witnesses are those who question nothing.

The Society would first need to prune the Witness ranks of people who would vocalize their doubts regarding the Society's teachings and directives. The silly interpretation of the "Generation" would be followed by other such nonsense designed to remove independent thinkers. The Society would also need to pare the number of "weak" (nominal) Witnesses who could derail the scheme by their reluctance to follow the Society's every command.

The remaining Witnesses would be conditioned over a period of time to accept the idea that faithful death is preferable to life in "Satan's System of Things." Watchtower articles would revisit such scriptures as Psalms 116:15 ("Precious in the eyes of Jehovah is the death of his loyal ones.") and Luke 9:24 ("For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake is the one who will save it.")

Then, when extreme world conditions warrant it (war, pestilence, famine), an announcement would be made that all Witnesses (and only Witnesses -- the Faithful--) would be meeting on a specific day for a most special declaration of New Light from the Governing Body.

On that day, the CoBE would read an official letter from the Society stating that 'the Faithful Slave now understands that the Great Crowd's coming out of the Great Tribulation (Rev. 7:14) will occur today!!! The New Light given by Jehovah is that the "New Heavens and New Earth" of Revelation 21:1 are literal and already existing, and that Jehovah's people will be spared the evil coming upon the entire inhabited earth by being "transferred" as was Enoch. "And Enoch was no more, for God took him."!!! (Gen. 6:24).

Game over.

My speculation (based solely on my relatives and the people in the congregation I last attended): 20% of current Witnesses would drink...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit