Would Witnesses REALLY drink the "Kool-aid" if the faithful slave told them to? Yes or no?

by Witness 007 116 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    most would react with horror if told to do something like this out of the blue; but with correct conditioning from the FDS, probably most anything would be willingly obeyed in time.

Not all the Jones people drank the poison...some of them ran, escaped.

Same with the JWs and their brand of Kool-Aid. One of the most damning things of the JWs is the blood doctrine. The expectation is that you should be willing to die or allow your child to die to prove your faithfulness. Stripped down to the core, it's not much different than being expected to drink poisoned juice.

I think a good many JWs buckle when it comes to the blood issue. Yes, some refuse...some die. But the WT cult is different than The People's Temple. Those folks literally removed themselves from the world and lived in a commune under the direct rule of Jones. JWs, while indoctrinated to serve the WTS, are not under constant supervision or survellaince. They are more open to move about and even think for themselves, if they so choose. With that relative freedom when push comes to shove I think many of them are not indoctrinated enough to die for the WT corporation. And the blood doctrine is one of the older WT statutes on the books. It has been ingrained in dubs for decades. But even still many see problems with it and secretly ignore the rules.

For the WTS to try to come up with some new "Kool-Aid" it would take a couple of generations before they could exercise that control over the people. So I don't think there would be any sudden dictate to the followers that would be followed without question. I think many would balk and be quite vocal about it. At least I hope they would...

• journey-on
    journey-on

Mad Sweeny's percentages are probably about right. Wasn't there an article recently about doing what the FDSlave asks you to do even if it sounds wrong?

The Recipe:

Take one drone-like individual. (One with a spiritually superior attitude will work perfectly. They are easier to manipulate.)

Brainwash it thoroughly. (Sometimes this takes months or even years, depending on the age and/or toughness of the individual.)

Add some NooLight. (Old light won't do. It expires and loses its effectiveness)

Add a big convoluted Twist of Scripture

• Hadit
    Hadit

My friend and I were discussing this scenario. We both came to the concusion that if framed right - many would do it. Many would also wake up real fast and get out.

Mad Sweeney - would that 90% of the 30% or 40% kill people before or after they drank the poison? Or is it a slow-acting poison? Would they be resurrected in the twinkling of an eye to kill the dissenters? Sorry - I couldn't resist! LOL!

In all seriousness - I have to agree - I believe that there would be people willing to kill those who refused. It's a very scary scenario. As was pointed out - they kill all the time via the blood rule.

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

There is constant praise and biblical comparisons heaped on those who have died for their faith, whether it be because of the blood doctrine or political reasons. They become the organization's modern day martyrs. Also, I am still in and I can attest to the fact that there has been a lot of emphasis in the past few years about being loyal and submissive to the organization even when they ask you to do something you don't agree with or understand. So, while I agree that I don't think they would ever do something as radical as asking people to drink the Kool-Aid, I do believe that there are many who, though conflicted would ultimately do it.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    So, while I agree that I don't think they would ever do something as radical as asking people to drink the Kool-Aid, I do believe that there are many who, though conflicted would ultimately do it.
    They would consider it a final test of their faith and obedience. I'm sure there is a scripture somewhere that could be used to support it.
  • JWoods
    JWoods

As horrible as it sounds, a scenario like the heavens gate or Jonestown could possibly be presented.

Like the Masada suicides, perhaps a suggestion could be made that this is the honorable fast track into the new system, the evil world is all around them and can be defeated in a sense by this act. Both crazy Applegate and JJones successfully pulled this argument off.

Us Undercover points out, it could take years to brainwash into the rank & file, but there have been some pretty crazy stuff brainwashed into them in the past - and as Undercover also pointed out - not all the Jonestown people acted on their own; many had help from the leadership.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Yes.

No doubt.

sammieswife.

• MrCellophane
    MrCellophane

If that directive came from the FDS right now, cold, with no propaganda leading up to it - then, no, almost none would. But I'm very afraid that with a little set-up, a little "new light", etc., etc., an unbelievably high percentage of JWs would do so. After all, it's not really that far removed from helping to kill (by omission) a dear loved one, is it?

• dgp
    dgp

I'm not a witness and I can't speak from experience but, judging from the ones I met, I'm afraid a good number of JW's would drink the Kool-Aid.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I have wondered this myself at different times.

I can't imagine that scenario happening, but with enough scriptual manipulation to show why it had to be done, then you might get a good number to follow.

My worry was more, what if, one day because of new light, the organization convinces the sheep that they would be used directly in attacks against the elements of this system and they try to jumpstart the great tribulation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit