Would Witnesses REALLY drink the "Kool-aid" if the faithful slave told them to? Yes or no?

by Witness 007 116 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The 'true believer' cares so little for "this system of things" and their existing "imperfect" life. I would have drank it, when I was a JW. I wanted everlasting life. If that meant dying "in this old system", it would have been a small price to pay.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It seems like most of the posters who think it is impossible or unlikely are addressing the question as ATJ did, "As currently constituted." But the question isn't whether they would do it on command TODAY or TOMORROW, but whether it would be possible AT ALL to turn the Borg into a suicide cult? Several quite rational scenarios have been posted in this thread. And given a bit of time, 2 to 5 years of preparation fo the flock, a significant number could almost certainly be persuaded to go along.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thats true leavingWT, but at the same time, while believers in cults WILL do most anything, it is my very strong assertion that JW's aren't that kind of cult and that the GB won't ever come to a point where this will ever happen.

There are better ways to discredit cults then comparing every cult to Jonestown. Most cults don't kill their members. Practically all cults isolate and control in their own way, but most are not suicide cults.

For the purposes of this board, Jehovah's Witnesses are indeed a cult, and some of their dogma does indeed result in needless suffering and death. However, they are by definition not a suicide cult, and as currently constituted, that will not change.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Mad Sweeny, I don't think the scenarios that have been brought up that could allow JW's to turn into a suicide cult are at all reasonable. And I think that discussions like this, while understandable and legitimate to a point, are also pure fiction,

• agonus
    agonus

"I would rather you die than be disfellowshipped!"

Yeah, I've been told essentially the same thing by my "best friend".

"I'd rather he commit suicide than Leave The Truth".

How can anyone possibly see Christ in a comment like that?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

The GB doesn't need to do a Jonestown when they are essentially grandfathered in as an American religion. With the amount of control they have won from the Supreme Court, there is no need, no rational, foreseeable reason that they will ever turn into a suicide cult.

That isn't to minimize all the damage they have done, nor does it forgive those that have died due to their weird idiotic doctrine. But, (as cold as this sounds) the deaths that have resulted doesn't indicate a suicide cult. There is a difference.

They are still reprehensible. (The GB that is...)

• agonus
    agonus

"there is no need, no rational, foreseeable reason that they will ever turn into a suicide cult."

But what "need" or "rational, foreseeable reason" was there for the invention of the homicidal/suicidal blood policy they still cling to? Everything about it makes things difficult for the Org.

It only takes one powerful enough nut in the right place at the right time to start a holocaust.

• agonus
    agonus

It was mentioned recently by a Bethel speaker at one of the conventions (if my sources are correct), "Brothers, we (meaning the leadership) are tired. We want to go home".

What if one day the GB decide they're just too damned tired to deal with this shit and decide it's time for everybody to go home? And what if we are indeed headed for WWIII? I think such a scenario is indeed possible.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ATJ..

I believe your right..

I doubt the WBT$ would go the Kool-Aid route..

I do believe many JW`s would do it..If thats what the WBT$ wanted..

Not all..But..Enough to put a Serious Dent in the JW Population..

................... ...OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Agonus, JW's are a cult, and I respect the discussion and your opinion. I disagree on that aspect of JW's being a suicide cult.

There are Catholics who would kill themselves for their church, and soldiers do the same thing in offering their lives for what they think is a greater cause. It's all a measure of degrees and devotedness.

But suicide cults are as they are not because of their flock, but because of the leadership. JW's do not have the leadership to do this, simply because since 1976, they are ruled by committee.

The best shot JW's ever had of being a suicide cult was when Rutherford was around. Since then, there isn't the circumstances, and there won't be, for this to happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit