Our Southern Friends- Are you Pissed about the Oil Spill? I Know I Am ...... !

by flipper 233 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Getting ready to go to work all night. Thought I'd bump this up if any wanted to comment. Thanks

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Carry your own cloth bags and buy glass - non toxic.

Try finding a gallon of milk, or a tub of yogurt or sour cream, or a bottle of juice, a jug of bleach, or ANYTHING in a glass container at the store. Just look at all the plastic packaging on cosmetic items, toys, medicines, and really EVERYTHING. Even if we want to and work hard at it, it is practically impossible to "get green".

Most companies would have to totally re-tool and re-equip their entire operation. But, if the government gave them tax incentives to do so, wouldn't that right there create jobs?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Journey-on...I hear you!

I can remember getting all milk products delivered to the house when I was a little girl. All in Glass. Those glass bottles were returned to the "Milk Man"

I am so tired of buying products encased in plastic so difficult to get into you need a butcher knife. Just the other day my mom bought a tube of "Abreva" for a cold sore. $15.00. The tube was less than one inch long and probably 1/4 inch wide yet the package was at least 9 inches by 6 inches and almost impossible to open.

What a waste of our resources!

r.

• freydo
    freydo

Top kill's failure means Gulf oil spill will only get worse

Get Adobe Flash player

Related Content

By Renee Schoof and Chris Adams
    McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — If the growing oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico isn't contained soon — and the latest efforts suggest that's unlikely — then the damage to the fragile region will intensify over the coming summer months as changing currents and the potential for hurricanes complicate the containment and cleanup efforts.

"It's all lose, lose, lose here," said Rick Steiner, a retired University of Alaska marine scientist who's familiar with both the current Gulf oil spill and the Exxon Valdez disaster two decades ago.

"The failure of the top kill really magnified this disaster exponentially," he said. "I think there's a realistic probability that this enormous amount of oil will keep coming out for a couple months. This disaster just got enormously worse."

As the federal government and BP try yet another strategy to curb the flow of oil from the blown well a mile below the surface of the Gulf — one that could increase the flow of oil by as much as 20 percent — scientists anticipate a range of disastrous effects, only some of which are well understood.

The damage to the shorelines of Gulf states such as Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida is literally only the surface of the problem: The damage to the sea floor could be extensive, and oil could also devastate marine life between the Gulf floor and its surface, as well as in coastal areas far from the leaking wellhead.

If none of the short-term solutions plugs the well, the only long-term fix _ drilling two relief wells to stem the flow of oil _ likely won't be completed until late July or August. President Barack Obama on Saturday called the news about the latest failed attempt "as enraging as it is heartbreaking."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/30/1656217/gulf-oil-spill-this-disaster-just.html#ixzz0pU3HMFde

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was in southeast Louisiana over the weekend, visiting in-laws. The oil spill is THE big topic of conversation, there. The mood is grim. To put it mildly, Louisiana has been terribly unlucky in recent years. The seafood industry (and offshore jobs) are a big part of their economy.

White House Tries to Regroup as Criticism Mounts Over Leak

. . .

Even as the White House sought to demonstrate that it was taking a more direct hand in trying to solve the problem, senior officials acknowledged that the new technique BP will use to try to cap the leak — severing the riser pipe and placing a containment dome over the cut riser — could temporarily result in as much as 20 percent more oil flowing into the water during the three days to a week before the new device could be in place.

“This is obviously a difficult situation,” Ms. Browner said on NBC ’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday, “but it’s important for people to understand that from the beginning, the government has been in charge.”

“We have been directing BP to take important steps,” including the drilling of a second relief well, she added.

The White House said that Interior Secretary Ken Salazar would make his eighth trip to the region and that the number of government and contract employees sent to work in areas affected by the spill would be tripled.

But despite the White House efforts, the criticism also intensified. Colin L. Powell , who served as secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff , told ABC’s “This Week” that the administration must move in quickly with “decisive force and demonstrate that it’s doing everything that it can do.”

Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, appearing on “Meet the Press,” again criticized the administration’s efforts, saying: “We need our federal government exactly for this kind of crisis. I think there could have been a greater sense of urgency.”

The administration has left to BP most decisions about how to move forward with efforts to contain the leak. But Ms. Browner made a point of saying that the administration, led by Secretary of Energy Steven Chu , had told BP that the company should stop the top kill. Government officials thought it was too dangerous to keep pumping drilling mud into the well because they worried it was putting too much pressure on it. BP announced Saturday evening that it was ending that effort.

. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/31/us/31spill.html

• beksbks
    beksbks

But despite the White House efforts, the criticism also intensified. Colin L. Powell, who served as secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told ABC’s “This Week” that the administration must move in quickly with “decisive force and demonstrate that it’s doing everything that it can do.”

Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, appearing on “Meet the Press,” again criticized the administration’s efforts, saying: “We need our federal government exactly for this kind of crisis. I think there could have been a greater sense of urgency.”

Now tell me if any of this would have stopped the leak? Because if the "experts" haven't been able to do it, how can anyone else? Including the government? These guys aren't talking about stopping the leak, they're talking politics. The one thing the government CAN do, is make sure that the cap is lifted and those bastards pay and pay and pay..........starting now. That might give them more incentive to get the job done.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    U.S. government and BP officials are warning that the blown-out oil well causing an environmental disaster on the Gulf Coast may not be stopped until August as the company begins preparations on a new attempt to capture the leaking crude.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2010/05/gulf_coast_warned_oil_may_leak_until_august.php?ref=fpa

• shamus100
    shamus100

Correction: it WILL NOT be stopped until August. The effects are starting to be felt now, and it's going to get worse, worse, worse. Make those jackasses pay! Every penny needs to be scraped from BP and every person affected needs to be compensated. Screw the company - someone else will come in and drill.

Besonkers,

If you're posting from where I think you are I'm getting on a plane. Do you hear me love? I am getting on the plane...

But you need to kiss me regardless...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I realize that Maher is a comedian, but this is disrepectful to the Office of the President, no matter what your political persuasions are, IMHO.

Language Warning

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/05/29/maher_obama_not_acting_like_a_real_black_president.html

• flipper
    flipper

Good comments by all. Well- I guess it's a moot point now - but apparently this means the oil will travel around Florida up the east coast then I assume ? If they can't stop this thing until August ? What makes me wonder - is will they be able to stop it in time from going across the Atlantic ocean entering the major oceanic currents thus polluting the entire goddamned planet !! ?? Even THAT seems doubtful now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit