New here...

by hereiam! 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum hereiam!.

I see some good advice here already.

I have trouble making friends too. I have to push myself to get involved, but when I do it pays off. Getting involved in community projects and groups helps.

When I first escaped I found the book 'Captive Hearts, Captive Minds : Freedom and Recovery from Cults and Other Abusive Relationships' to be very helpful.

It is discussed on the forum but the index page is buggy and crashes if you don't stop it loading at precisely the right moment, so I will post the links from it here.

Chris

Recovery 101 - a possibility?

Take Back Your Life: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships

Take Back Your Life - Chapter 1

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 2: Seduction and Recruitment

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 3: Understanding Thought Reform Part 1

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 3: Understanding Thought Reform Part 2

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 3: Understanding Thought Reform Part 3

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 3: Understanding Thought Reform Part 4

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 4: Individual differences affecting recovery Part 1

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 4: Individual differences affecting recovery Part 2

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 5: Characteristics of a Cult Leader

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 6: Taking Back Your Mind

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 7: Undoing the damage Part 1

Take Back Your Life: Chapter 7: Undoing the damage Part 2 Triggers

A recommended Reading List from the new book Take Back Your Life

NEW BOOK Take Back Your Life

From Janja Lalich re: Take Back Your Life

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Welcome HereIam....as people have said ...it will get better for you just keep marking time sweetie and follow the good advice yea? This forum is lovely I havent been here long either and the people are understanding and kind with no conditions on their friendship....congrats on your baby...start smiling, you have so much to be happy about ....

Loz x

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome toJWN!

You've had lots of good advice so far, but let me reiterate a few key things:

1. Tell your doctor about your depression.

2. Do all of the recommended reading about being an exjw.

3. Make friends in a birthing class, doctor's office, work or wherever else you frequent. After the baby is born, seek out Mommy and Me classes.

4 Tell your family as much of the truth as you can handle. If that means being preoccupied with all things baby, then so be it.

...can't talk to my husband about it since he doesn't understand and would be disappointed in me.

Are you sure about that? Have you tried telling him how you feel?

Keep posting; it will do yo good.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Welcome hereIam!

And I get the "send me, send me" joke. LOL! That goes back a LONG way.

You've gotten some great advice here. Keep posting and telling us what's going on.

Congratulations on your baby. He/she will have a great life as a non-JW.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Bienvenidos!

That's 50% of my Spanish vocabulary.

The other word starts with C and ends in veza.

This place will help you more than beer though.

Again, welcome.

om

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Hi HereIam,

I'm a newbie here too......experiencing many of the same emotions. You're very normal....and everyone here has been very welcoming.

I am seeing a therapist....if possible, I really recommend it....welcome :)

• Lieu
    Lieu

¡Bienvenidos a JWN! y mucho gusto hereiam.

Sadness - Normal (I would speak to hubby about that because if you don't, its not fair to him. After all he left with you, no?)

Depression - Normal (speak to the doc about that)

Apprehension - Normal

Family - Beat around the bush until you feel ready to tell them.

Make friends when appropriate, eat as healthy as possible, and be sure to get out of the house for some fresh air.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Welcome. I have been on here for about five months. The support on here is amazing! Although we all may never meet there is always somebody that has walked our steps. I see some 'speaking' your language too, thats fantastic!

reach out and you will always find help. Unlike in a congregation i am sorry to say.

You WILL rebuild your social life, it takes some guts and determination but it can be done.

all the best to you and your family.

oz

• chicken little
    chicken little

Late as usual with a reply;;; time difference in Northeren Europe. I hope the replies you have got help you. I got a knot in my tummy when I read your thread, I felt tears coming up and I wanted to give you a hug! I am a mother of three and I suffered with depression for many years. If you need a friend then send me a pm and I will write back with my e-mail, I don't often do that but you need a friend, I am sure the others on this board will do the same.

The most wonderful joy in your life will be the birth of your baby and your well being and love for your child must come before any other feelings that are trying to push through. Negetive feelings are learnt and you know what? You can undo them by replacing them with the good.

Thinking of you

Hugs

Chicken little

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Hereiam,

First of all....((HUGS))...

Second..."WELCOME" to the forum...you have come to the right place to find friends and comfort!

I would say that your feelings of anger are VERY normal. The fear of your family finding out is normal too. Losing your faith and not being able to pray has also been the experience of many here. I agree with the advice of others, you do need to tell your husband. Remember your a team. He can comfort you, and help you regain your faith. Many "throw the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak when they leave because they are so confused. What you need to remember that Jehovah and Jesus love you, and will never leave you unless you leave them first.

Leaving the organization DOES NOT mean you have left them. As Jehovah's Witnesses we were brain washed to believe you cannot possibly love Jehovah unless you love and are part of "his" organization. So when many leave, they feel lost because deep inside they still love God, but don't feel they can pray anymore because the organization has made them believe that way. Inside they feel isolated from him because they feel he will not hear their prayers because they left "his" organization. I hope you don't believe this, but if you do, it is critical that you realize the organization is based on lie upon lie. How could God possibly approve of such an organization? We know how much he hates Saten, the "father of the lie". I would highly encourage you to read Crisis of Conscience. This book will help you see how the organization really operates at the core with the Governing Body. As it is written by a former Governing Body member. It will blow you away!! You will see that it is truely just a book publishing company claiming to be run by God...it will become quite clear that its not.

There is a number of feelings that most experience after finding out the truth about the truth. Most experience confusion, denial, anger, sadness and then finally... peace. However, some skip them and are able to move right on...maybe that is like your husband?? The majority go through all the stages though. So if your feeling any of these, you are by no means alone!!

Ontop of these "normal" feelings, you are pregnant, which messes with your hormones, and too suffering from depression mounts up to a whole lot of weight. Which is EXACTLY why you need to talk to your husband. Is there any place you can go to get counciling... you may find that very helpful, so you can learn how to channel your anger and hurt, and not let it take over your life. Many have done this and it has been EXTREEMLY helpful!

As for your family...don't tell them anything. Perhaps when they ask about the JWs helping you etc...let them know you have been suffering from depression and have missed alot of meetings because of that and the pregnancy. I am sure they will understand, but if they don't, they will at least not think you have cold turkey left the organization. They may be more understanding if you don't have the answers for them if you use this excuse.

Hang in there friend. Know you are not alone, and there are MANY, MANY good people here that care about you and will try and help you. I hope you let your husband in on your feelings, he may even pray for you to regain your faith again. Be patient, all of this takes time, as you have just been hit with a huge blow, as most here can relate to. Try to enjoy your pregnancy, focus on your precious new little one, and how much joy the baby will bring into your life...you will get through this I promise. Rembember...Jehovah and Jesus love you VERY, VERY much!! They have blessed you by leading you out of the organization, and you have been blessed by having your husband see the truth about the "truth" as well..so you were able to exit together...and now you have been blessed with this little miricle a "gift from above", which you would have otherwise never had, had you stayed in the organization!! You have been truely blessed by Jehovah and Jesus since leaving...and even though it feels like it will never happen...they will see to it that you will again find peace, comfort and happiness...

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit