What is Truth?

by AK - Jeff 77 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

Whatever Truth is, it is simple, it is basic, only man convolutes it.

The laws of cause and effect, so simple, so basic, so true and so misunderstood.

Choices and consequences (cause and effect).

Action, re-action (cause and effect).

Our world changes when we change (cause and effect).

Beliefs affect us and how we interact with our world. Our beliefs can free us or they can shackle us. If you believe in magic, you'll live a magical life.

Perhaps that is why it is stated in the Bible under Titus 1:15 that "To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted."

• justmom
    justmom

Hello all

In all seriousness the answer is actually very simple.....

The organization would have you believe they are "the truth"..Something we grew up saying. eg.. Brother so and so how long have you been in "the truth?"

But simply put...Christ is the truth.

John 14:6 "jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, noone comes to the father except through me." It is all about him......

FYI

justmom (kim)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Jesus seems to be a paradox of sorts in my opinion, justmom.

Even if he said those words - and I doubt he did - what did he actually mean to convey there? Was his 'father' the OT Yahweh? And what did he mean 'through me'? Prayer? Worship of Jesus or through Jesus? Acceptance of Jesus? As what? As Savior? As King? As a Jewish rebel against Rome seeking to gain followers in his cause?

Why did he not bother to write those very words himself? Why rely on men who didn't bother to put them down with ink until 40 or more years after he had died? And why didn't those bible writers do that? If THE CHRIST appeared here and now, among us, wouldn't anyone who called himself a 'footstep follower' do all he could to preserve immediately every fibre of thought and meaning in his words, and do so while it was fresh?

No my dear, I don't think Truth resides in Jesus. Otherwise why does he hide it so well among thousands of confusing sectarian religious theologies? If I accepted this as bald truth, at this moment, how could I define the real Jesus from the fraudulent explanations of him? How could I ever know what he expected of me? His words were never recorded and authorized by him. Of the ten thousand Jesus explanations, which should I accept?

No, I fear that little in the way of real information or truth is available in this myth. Legends come and go. Myths are created by men, not by God.\

Namaste

Jeff

• tec
    tec

Justmom -

Those who belong to Jesus will hear him... ink or no ink.

AK - Jeff - I agree with you. Myths are created by man and not by God. But I have no reason to doubt God's existence, nor any reason to wonder why 1st century Christians willingly suffered to the point of execution to follow a so-called mythical man... even one who stood up to self-righteous and uncaring leaders of the time; and instead taught forgiveness, mercy and love to the humble and mistreated.

Tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Here's something I wrote once in answer to your question:

If asked, “What is the truth?” Jehovah’s Witnesses will answer most likely like this: “The truth is that which is firm, trustworthy, stable, faithful, and established as fact. Jehovah God is truth, in that His judicial decisions, law, commandments, and word are truth. He cannot lie according to Titus 1:2.” They won't say it, but they really think anything printed by Watchtower is "truth." Seeking an answer elsewhere, Webster defines “truth” as: (1) being true; specif., a) sincerity; honesty b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy (2) that which is true (3) an established fact. Wikipedia (online encyclopedia) mentions that “ there is no single definition of truth about which the majority
    of philosophers agree.” In John chapter 18, Jesus told Pontius Pilate that he came into the world to “ bear witness to the truth,” but when Pilate asked, “What is truth?” there was no answer from Jesus. There are various opinions on how to define and identify truth. Even with Webster telling us that truth is “that which is true,” I could make a statement and say that it is a true statement, but that just leads to questions such as these; What is a true statement? Is it different from a statement made truthfully? Such highly abstract discussions will get us nowhere. Some feel that truth is subjective and personal, that one man’s truth comes from his inner feelings and thinking, his viewpoint. Many add that truth is relative, only defined by its comparison to something else. This would be similar to the abstract question, “What is beauty?” In subjective truth, different persons would have different truths. Outside of philosophy, truth is not generally thought of in subjective terms. Truth is determined by existing realities, based on facts independent of the mind. Most people think that truth is objective. Some go so far as to say that only absolute truth matters. "Absolute truth" is defined as inflexible reality: fixed, invariable, unalterable facts. Absolute truth requires an absolute standard. This is the truth of which the Watchtower organization refers. Even here, we can run into trouble. If I make the objective statement that “Earth is the third planet out from the sun,” another person could ask, “ Whose definition of ‘planet’ are you using?” “Is it possible that there are other undiscovered planets between the earth and sun?” “When you say ‘out from the sun,’ do you mean in distance or a straight line?” With religious doctrine, it is no different. Whose translation are we using, and which ancient Greek or Hebrew meaning are we applying? The Watchtower claims that our perspective on truth should come from the absolute authority of the creator of all things. They teach that the creator determines what is right and what is wrong, and that the absolute truth we seek is knowledge of His will for His creation. This is “the truth” that, unlike beauty, does not lie in the eye of the beholder. It’s just a shame that we need humans to interpret what that absolute truth is, and to tell us what they think God’s will is for us. ..... Since the Watchtower teaches absolute truth, I simply have to demonstrate that it is false or not absolute. This is surprisingly easy to do. ....
  • garyneal
    garyneal

Make the 'truth' your own.

• justmom
    justmom

I do definitely agree with that thought...

"Those who belong to Jesus will get it....ink or no ink..."

But for those who still might really need to see it in writing .......

I for my part don't need the ink either.

Cheers

justmom

• cattails
    cattails
    "a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
    'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know"

--John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn

http://hoocher.com/Daniel_Ridgway_Knight/A_Lovely_Thought_ca_1885.jpg

• garyneal
    garyneal

Come on now, why can't anyone just accept that the Jehovah's Witnesses have The Truth TM ?

• shamus100
    shamus100

What is reason? What is truth? What is the force that watches over you?

And all the n**ggers in this world... starving with their mouths wide open.

What is it that makes the coins we throw at them into worthless little tokens.

Something's telling you to wake up and salute the dangers of obedience and violence of truth.

Written by someone far more interesting than a monkey...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit