What is Truth?

by AK - Jeff 77 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac - I knew you couldn't stay away forever!!!!!! That's the Truth.

Our good buddy Paul from Cleavland reminded me of something I had forgotten.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Interesting comment here PSAC.
    But what of those who believe, just for instance, that 'truth' requires my eternal suffering in hell for not acceptance of their God? I assume here that most who would say such a thing, also accept as 'truth' that I have an a priori or eternal soul suitable for such everlasting torment by God. If truth is 'individual', then acceptance of the premise you above state as part of truth, then are not the two in conflict, making the argument unable to hold to the premises both? And if both cannot hold - that God will punish me, and that truth cannot lead to harm - then isn't the argument void?
    Jeff

Like I said, Truth is subjective, like a persons reality, it is based on our expereinces and our observations and our limitations.

Some may think that killing someone who doesn't follow their "truth" is "truth" to them.

I thought we were expressing opinions and in my very humble one, I don't accept as truth anything that causes malicious suffering of people.

People suffer, that is a given, sometimes we do it to ourselves and other times it is done unto us, but "truth" should never be the cause of malicious suffering, though it may be the cause of "righteous" suffering.

• Snotrag
    Snotrag

The Gladiator has it right. No one really knows the truth, all are just opinions of what their reality is for them.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Truth is the Holy One of Israel, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, who is the Holy Spirit and Son and Christ of the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies.

I bid you peace!

A slave of that One, Christ,

SA

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

AGuest

Thank you for springing into action and clarifying things.

Until then we were all stumbling in the dark searching for an intelligent answer.

I bid you peace!

A Slave of that one, Caesar

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Don't take me wrong PSAC. I am not criticizing your opinion - just taking that opinion to another level philosophically. Two axioms of definition regarding a single concept must agree to be correct - right? You intend to present two facets of truth. I was toying with those two statements not representing separate premises within the same argument perhaps. To present the same position must not premises agree?

You state that personal 'truth' is individual - shaped by culture, time, circumstance, rearing, age, health... in other words, our personal truth is directly proportional to and related to our personal experience. But your stated second rule/axiom/premise of truth is that it does not ever include doing harm to other living creatures.

But if someone's personal truth does include malevolence, then is that second axiom cancelled? Is what that person possesses, and has confused with truth, in reality not truth but rather some other concept or value external to truth as a principle?

In other words - if we apply axioms of 'fact' to truth, must they be universal/absolute? Can my truth be different from yours due to personal shaping of that truth through a lifetime, if my personal truth allows for [or even demands that] malevolent actions on my part or on the part of my God or on the part of nature are an intrinsic requirement of my personal truth?

Or must it rather be that my personal 'standards' might be different from universal truth? And could the two be completely differing concepts that could be easily confused in a discussion of this nature?

Just thinking out-loud here. No attack was intended and I hope you didn't think that. Just postulating. Just positing.

Jeff

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Truth is a Nail in your Tire..

Your tire is flat or on it`s way to being flat..

Thats the Truth..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• tec
    tec

Or must it rather be that my personal 'standards' might be different from universal truth? - AK - Jeff

This is what I think. There is one universal truth, and it will continue to be the truth... and whether we can grasp that or not will make no difference on its validity.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    AGuest

Glad... peace to you!

Thank you for springing into action and clarifying things.

You are QUITE welcome, dear one!

Until then we were all stumbling in the dark searching for an intelligent answer.

Indeed! Glad (no pun intended) to have been able to provide one!

I bid you peace!

Right back at'cha!

A Slave of that one, Caesar

I don't doubt it! Again, peace to you!

A slave of the Truth...

SA

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

"And what is good, Phædrus,
    And what is not good...
    Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?"

Share this