Another Scotsman reporting for duty :)

by cofty 55 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

My father was born in Scotland I sometimes wear tartan ties and I have the soundtrack to Trainspotting I hope this qualifies me as a fellow Scotsman.

Nice to meet you. I look forward to your comments.

• besty
    besty

deleted - Besty's been using Sweetpea's account again....

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

cofty

Yet another Scot from Glasgow, moved to Crieff, in Perthshire in 1979. Third generation JW. Quit after 51 years in the JWs - many years working hard as a 'liberal' elder, pioneer, etc. After much soul-searching, came to the conclusion that there 'probably is no God' - DAd in 2003 and managed to get all 4 'boys' out. Now a fully paid up, card-carrying, Scottish Humanist.

My wife, Joy, is still 'in'. She's still very much a 'work in progress', as I really want to assist free her from the tentacles of the nasty JW cult.

I look forward to hearing more about you in your next few posts.

lifelong humanist

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Welcome from a Scots fan here. (Besty's wife). My first domino was the Mediator teaching - only took 3 days with a little help from Besty to realise it had all been a scam. Not a good feeling but life goes on and gets better by the day. Became a born again Christian but, like you, later arrived at the conclusion that God probably isn't there. It feels very good to be free of all the superstition.....

It's always great to read about another awakening - it gives us all hope for our loved ones still held captive.

Look forward to reading more from you......

• dozy
    dozy

Jings! Crivens! Help ma Boab! Another Jock on JWD! (albeit one living in Sassanach land.)

Welcome Cofty (although I like the username "Crofty" that slimboyfat used - bit more of a Scottish flavour to it!)

• wobble
    wobble

Welcome Cofty !

I too look forward to hearing more from your good-self,and thanks for your story.

Despite having been born and bred in Kent, I think I have a little Scots blood in my veins, I like walking around with no trousers on !

Love

Wobble

• freddo
    freddo

Hello Cofty!

I'm on JWS from time to time too - when I resigned as an elder in 2004 I too wrote a letter to bethel, London (funny isn't it - you think you're going to enlighten them and be exonerated or entertain the possibility that they won't accept your resignation and tell your BoE you were right all along!)

I got some "this is nothing new, this is what we believe, follow it" woffle back and was dumb enough to write back again! This time I got a verbal bollocking shot across the bows from my P.O. "kindly" warning me that while he had much sympathy with my point of view I was on the point of being perceived by the branch as causing divisions. I was variously on the service committee and school overseer for over fifteen years and so my resignation shocked the congo.

I'd been around the block enough to know what that meant and so like a coward I shut up and "attended for family". (I still take my elderly father from his nursing home to the meeting on a Sunday) My wife knows my heart isn't in it but with the new meeting schedule I can cope with half a dozen meetings a month (I allow myself one "sickie" and a "too busy" per month and increasing) and a once a month ministry reported as 4 hours so I can fly under the radar run a mic in the Watchtower study and keep boredom at bay! So I bide my time and wait for the "right" time to leave.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum Cofty. It's nice to have you with us.

Watch out for that Mouthy, she thinks Scotties make nice foot warmers.

Cheers

Chris

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Hey Cofty. We were in the same circuit. I went to Hamilton Assemblies and also Murrayfield before they moved to Perth. Attended the Bishopbriggs congregation in Glasgow the whole time I was in the org.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome Cofty from a half scot and halfwit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit