JW Apologists please tell me where your God was when .....

by wobble 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

Man has always made the God he wants in the image he wants, why don't they grow up. and stop it ?

love

Wobble

• Miss Chievous
    Miss Chievous

Ok I'm going to play God's advocate for a bit, don't hate me for it!

Why should God interfere in what happens on earth? From his point of view he has given us the Bible as a guidebook on how to live, he has made it so simple (love God, love your neighbour as yourself) that we can't go back to him and say we could't understand how he wanted us to live. He even sent his Son to earth to help us and give a model of how to live.

That's all very well you'll say but he has the power to do so much more doesn't he? Of course he does but he has also given us freewill, we as humans can do what we please, we can either live as he would like us to live or take our own path. How can he interfere without taking our freewill away? Humans seem to want it everyway, we want to live as we see fit when it suits us but as soon as we start suffering we want God to make it all better. Innocents do suffer but we can only blame our fellowman for that, not God.

Maybe he has to let the whole system man has built collapse (religous, political, business, social) before he can step in and save us from ourselves, maybe that is the only way we will learn?

Am I still thinking too much like a JW?!

Miss C

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I know that He is not far off from us if we seek Him

Snowbird, do you truly believe this or are you simply repeating a familiar and comfortable statement? I ask because the premise of this thread is where was God when people needed him. Mankind has been seeking God for thousands of years and yet this entity has proven to be very far from us.

Like the little monkey man, I too agree that people are free to believe however they wish. After all, its our beliefs that comfort us and help sleep at night. When it comes down to it, none of us really know. Its mostly based on how we feel, and that, in most cases is perfectly okay.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Miss Chievous,

That is the kind of reply I would expect from any JW I'm afraid,the thinking is so difficult to expunge isn't it ? but your reply tells us nothing that answers the question of the thread title.

And if this uncaring, unfeeling, God, who is certainly not "Love" can sit back for millenia and just let things carry on until humans destroy their society and themselves, what would move such a God to act at such a time, certainly not caring, or feeling, He is evidently incapable of those emotions, as history testifies.

Does not your Bible tell you that God does not change ? So why should, or how could, He change just as man is about to cause his own demise ?

Your trust seems as baseless, without foundation, as dear Sylvias.

Love

Wobble

• startingover
    startingover

Miss Chievous

How many people suffer from things that have no connection with their own free will but result from someome elses?

• wobble
    wobble

dear Ms Chievous,

The other thing I should have asked is , how come God's interfering right at the last second of mans survival is not also, taking away our freewill ? our freewill to destroy ourselves ?

If I stop a young thug from robbing an old lady, I take away his free will, but her free will to hang on to her cash was being taken from her.

How can God's intervening to stop terrible things like the hanging of that poor lad possibly matter? to take away the freewill of the S.S monsters would be a bad thing ?

What you are saying is that God has given us free will and therefore is powerless to do anything, ever. A weak and inept God. A typical JW logical fallacy. And as I said above, typical JW thinking, sounds good until you look at it logically.

Love

Wobble

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

Wobble I don't understand why you're taking the issue about the kid be hanged up with God rather than the person who did it. I'll now ask you a personal question. Which kind of God would you prefer? One that controls our thoughts and actions or one that gives us free will and ultimately punish the wicked and reward the good in the end? Those of us who believe in the Bible know we have free will and when people choose to do evil it's because they want to. I don't understand why you try to let people who do evil of the hook by saying "God could of stop them but he didn't, so it's really God's fault rather than the person who choose to commit the evil act", to me that type of thinking makes no sense.

Free Will:The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

-->miss chievous: "Why should God interfere in what happens on earth? From his point of view he has given us the Bible as a guidebook on how to live, he has made it so simple (love God, love your neighbour as yourself) that we can't go back to him and say we could't understand how he wanted us to live. He even sent his Son to earth to help us and give a model of how to live."

this does not get god off the hook, there are plenty of people killed by natural disasters that have nothing to do with people not following his guidebook.

2/3 of the world have no access to the bible, and the innocent lost leaves us in tears when we see tsunami, hurricane, earthquakes and etc victims.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Bluegrass,

I am not so sure the Bible teaches the concept of free will, but that aside, go back to my example of the old lady being robbed, yes , the would-be thief has responsibility if he is allowed to carry out the crime, but if I have it in the power of my hand to stop him, and I watch and do nothing, what kind of person does that make me, moral ?

So what kind of God is your Bible god then ? does His super respect for this "free will" override his quality of justice or of mercy ? Is he unfeeling ?

Does He lack love ?

It would seem so from all the evidence.

Let us hold a trial of your Bible God, we can appoint Counsel for the Prosecution, and you can be Counsel for the defence if you like.

The charge is that despite being all-powerful, He does nothing.

Love

Wobble

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Wow. Endless circles.

• If God never shows it is because it is always 'future' he will act.
    • If God never helps it is because man should help himself.
    • If millions and billions suffer and die endlessly it is to serve a 'higher purpose'.

On and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on!

I have not seen one salient argument from believers here. Still, if fantasy feels good - why not I suppose. Once the lights go out who will know?

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit