JW Apologists please tell me where your God was when .....

by wobble 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks to all for contributing, and can I NOT be last in line to kick the gay monkey in the nuts,

only jokin shamus, we luvs ya !

I thought this thread had died without a decent debate, it seemed at one point that people couldn't grasp the point, I was not blaming God for the events, but for doing nothing.

Thanks Mary for giving a good example that tugs at the heart.

Dissed, I agree, and it seems from what Perry says that it ain't just the WT that thinks that way.

I think some other religions have got closer to the reality, by believing not in a personal God, but in an unknowable "No-thingness", but still believing in an ultimate judgement and therefore making you morally responsible for your own action or inaction, not like the God of the Bible who takes no responsibility but blames His creations for what happens, even though He has it within the power of His hand to do something.

As Mary said, does such aGod deserve our worship ?

Love,

Wobble

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i really want to believe in God/paradise, etc........... but scientific evidence prooves that god either does not exist, or is doing nothing for the past xx millions of years

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I agree Wobble, that the thread got a bit misdirected, but some solid points were made to show that God, to coin a phase, 'doesn't seem to give a damn'.

It has shown me a couple of things. Some Christians [apologies to sac for not qualifying that earlier] are really just God Apologists. All the atrocities, all the war, all the hatred, all the murder and mayhem, and rape of little children, is not enough for them to believe that God should do something. The only thing they have said that he has done is to 1] send his son to die. 2] some mysterious action that convinced a single person that God is out there supernaturally.

I honestly must ask: Just what the hell big deal is it that God sent a spirit to earth, incarnated as man, and he died on a cross? Big deal! Billions and billions of men, women and children have died. A fair number of them have been tortured and killed publicly. So what? Now if that execution had resulted in immediate salvation to man - now that would be something I suppose. But it did not.

All we have is the words in an ancient document, culled from thousands of ancient documents, deemed 'holy' by some clerics that held power over the masses of people and wanted to continue to hold power, translated and re-translated until likely the original message is obscured, that says that this single death represents salvation to man. Now, 2000 years later, no salvation! Man is still suffering precisely like he always has - with the occasional exception of someone who claims that God took care of him. God is not the same God even to all the believers who accept the document as proof. They fight among themselves, call the other groups wrong, and at times go to war and kill each other over differing beliefs.

All the time, little children are dying, bombs that can irradicate mankind are being flown about the planet ready to be armed and fired, diseases run rampant and kill millions, on and on.

Clearly - God had done nothing. The question was asked by Time Magazine:

April 8, 1966. That controversial question was followed a short time later with the New York Times article that declared it to be so.

To me - He is dead in the sense that he seem unable or unwilling [either by choice or by non-existence] to act. If I and you, puny dust, can see that enough time has passed to prove anything God has to prove, why can't he see that? All the theistic nonsense about 'His purposes and sight are so much different than human reason can understand' is bullshit.

Man created God in his image - shortsighted and unfullfilled.

Jeff

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

where was your god when................ earthquake killed 100,000 in haiti

• wobble
    wobble

btt,

coz of what DaCheech said.

• bohm
    bohm

An interesting question to the hard-liners: "What would God do that would make you think 'jez what a dick, that was pretty shitty thing to do.'". Genocide? Muder of childrens? Ordering rapes? allowing slavery? Punishing the grandchildren of those who do evil?

Perhaps another way to phrase the question: "Do you judge Gods actions with the same scrutiny that you would judge another mans?"

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

everything you mentioned Bohm was done in the bible in gods name

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Blaming God for earthquakes now?

And I assume for hurricanes and tornadoes and pretty much anything else that is a natural accurance and that can lead to people getting hurt and killed.

I think perhaps itis best for those that want to blame God for these things or at least blame his inactivity, to just accept that a God like the one they want to exists doesn't exist.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

god created the earth, and "it was good"

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    god created the earth, and "it was good"

And it is good, isn't it?

Not perfect for US, unless of course you live in Fiji ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit