Farewell to all

by Amazing 99 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

Thought you were going to ignore me here Kis.You missed my points per usual. Calling me insulting and venomous-just look at yer post-pot-kettle-black! lolol Thank you for sinking as low as amazing did with your ad hominem attacks on my character,education,etc.

When you point that elder finger at me,see the others pointing back at yourself dear----double standard again.And keep making stupid cracks about my ed. Shows how little you know.Happens to be highly unethical to do therapy in this venue,but I didnt expect you to know these things. You will tho,once you get in therpay.

Thats just yer opinion,and it means nothing to me. As well as skallys,meaningless.(and skally you should talk here honey) I remember your fuck you and fuck off-back at ya btw.lol

Why do you keep reading my stuff if its so offensive to you? No self control eh? Again I reiterate it wasnt bashing I was called liar and had every right to ask for proof etc.
    Honey,dont worry about my education,get one of your own.
    Keep on insulting me here hun LOLo Show us just how different you are from me here LOL. You indict yourself.bwaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Kismet,

You said:

I simply questioned the reason for continuing to kick (insult) Amazing. The point has been made over and over. There must be something about someone who continues to beat someone even after they have left....

I have seen you make this reference twice since my explanation of good reason to highlight such behavior, not excuse it. You seemed to not take issue with my reasoning or my denial that I have been "attacking", or in this case "kick"ing Amazing. I mention this because it was me you initially addressed in this thread for supposedly doing the things you say.

If you still feel this way about my behavior/words I would be happy to discuss it further with you either here or e-mail. BTW, I have misplaced your e-mail addy so please drop me a line so I can do same.

Regards,
    Julie

• Kismet
    Kismet

Julie:

Thanks for your reply. Iw ill be in touch with you tomorrow.

Tina: A suggestion. Edit your post prior to posting them. All your changes really are tough to keep track of, unless of course one copies your original post to quote from.

Kismet

• Tina
    Tina

Save your sugestions for the kh brother kis.

• Tina
    Tina

bttt for somebody

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Julie,

Several years ago I attended a seminar called “Self-discipline and Emotional Control” by Tom Miller. I learned some valuable lessons in that seminar, and they were repeated when I sought treatment for depression. If you already know this stuff, please excuse my explanation. It’s not my intent to be condescending.

I learned that often my emotional response is determined by how I interpret events. When we react emotionally, it happens very fast and seems immediate. Actually, the sequence is like this:

1. Event
    2. Meaning/Interpretation
    3. Feeling
    4. Behavioral response

For example, a man gives a woman flowers. That is the event. How does she react? It depends on how she interprets the event.

Event: He gave me flowers.
    Interpretation: He loves me.
    Feeling: Happy.
    Response: Gives him a kiss.

Interpretation: He must be feeling guilty about something.
    Feeling: Suspicion.
    Response: Throws the flowers away.

Interpretation: He’s trying to get in my pants.
    Feeling: Depends on whether you want this guy in your pants or not.
    Response: Buy lingerie or stock up on red pepper spray.

I learned in therapy that my interpretations were often based on false assumptions. I learned to be very careful about my interpretations, check them, ask questions, and try to be very rational about them because my interpretations determine my feelings, which, in turn, determine my behavior.

We can’t directly control what we feel. We do have a measure of control over the thinking and interpretations that produce our feelings. Once I understood what causes behavior, I also understood that it is very dangerous for me to try to judge the behavior of anyone else. I feel that it is unjust to judge behavior alone without considering intent. I cannot read minds and cannot know what evidence and experience others use to form an interpretation of an event.

This is why I usually remain quiet when there are personal disputes on the board. Only the two parties involved in a dispute know their history together, how they’ve interpreted those events, how they feel, and their motivation and intent in responding.

I feel it is presumptuous of me to judge the behavior of anyone but myself. At the same time, rarely in life do we ever have 100% of the information we need to decide conclusively about anything, and we do form opinions of people based on what we’ve observed of their behavior.

Your opinion of Amazing may be valid. You’ve judged as you see fit, and I accept that. I do question some of the premises for your judgment.

However, it was Amazing and NO ONE ELSE who turned this into a personal battle. Amnesian presented her collective rebuttal. Amazing tossed out a few allegations and promised a comprehensive reply soon.
    Does 100% of the blame fall on Amazing? When I read Amazing’s initial response to Amnesian in “To: Borgfree / Elder Culpability,” I see no personal insults.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=17880&site=3

I admire Amnesian’s reply in the same thread. She is very firm, expresses her ideas forcefully, yet makes allowances for what she does not know: “my experience . . . suggests.” When Amazing reacts to her strong language and gives her words an interpretation she did not intend, she explains her intended meaning.

When she speaks of elders who “swell your chest, muster your full height, mount that platform, take hold of that authoritative podium---which none but an elder or one in training can do---and dictate to us God’s orders as issued from the mouths of the Brooklyn crime bosses,” she acknowledges that Amazing may be an exception, as was her own husband. In Amnesian’s experience, ½ or better of the elders she knew violated their consciences to retain their privileges as elders. Who can argue with Amnesian’s experience? She lived it, saw the events, and interpreted them. My only question is whether she interpreted what she saw fairly. How does Amnesian know why ½ or better of the elders she knew chose to remain elders? How does she know their intent and motivation?

Her post is great, but she does insult Amazing when she interprets his behavior. She says:

I was a JW. Thank God, at least, never an elder, but I am still both culpable and guilty. And personally responsible.

But, unlike you, I do not hide this truth from myself or offer excuses and justifications.

Only Amazing knows his intentions in this discussion. Was he trying to offer excuses and justifications or explain the issues as best he understood them given his own experience and level of understanding? As best I can tell, Amazing had made no comments about Amnesian’s intent or motivation up to this point. None of the other threads had yet been created. If this turned into a personal battle, Amnesian threw the first punch.

As you may have noticed everything we've had from him since has been about everything but the issue of elder culpability. We have read again and again how long and cumbersome Amensian's post is to reply to, we have seen some of the most inflammatory, not to mention absurd, terms applied to his perceived treatment at Amensian's hands etc. Everything but the reply he promised.
    Each of us may form our own conclusions about Amazing’s subsequent behavior. I see a man who reacted emotionally to what he perceived as an attack. I think it possible that Amazing also reacted emotionally to the strong language and volatile issues in Amnesian’s replies and may have overlooked the qualifiers on many of her statements.

He has acted cowardly and wallowed in self pity this entire time. Makes me wonder how so many here think he is so worthy of admiration. You'd think the guy would try to set a better example to all those who hold him in the high esteem he craves and has worked so hard to establish.
    That is your interpretation, Julie. Only Amazing knows for sure what his motivations are for posting. I’ve seen a lot of people say good-bye on this board. It’s easy to jump to the conclusion that they’re cowardly, self-pitying drama queens. They may be, but I don’t think it’s fair to accuse anyone of this unless I have certain proof. In my opinion, judging from a person’s behavior as seen on this board is only circumstantial evidence.

You end your own post by saying, “Julie, who is now so sick of explaining repeatedly the whole scenario I am out on this.” Maybe Amazing is sick and tired, too. Maybe he’s reacting emotionally to material he interpreted as a personal attack. Maybe he feels as though he offered what he could to try to help people and had it thrown back in his face. Maybe he feels that he has been humiliated in front of his family and friends and that others are taking delight in his hurt.

Yes, we have strayed very far from the discussion of elder culpability. If you are looking for the reason for this stray, you need look no further than Amazing himself. . . . Amazing has only himself to blame for how things have gone. I don't take great joy in it but am glad to see some true colors shining through, the colors I knew to be in there somewhere long ago.
    The principles are the same, whether we are talking about elder culpability or Amazing’s personal culpability in this episode. Does Amazing shoulder the entire burden of blame for the discussion becoming a personal thing? And how do you know what are Amazing’s “true colors”? Can you read his mind and heart?

There may be folks reading this board who hold you in high esteem because of your previous posts. They may look to you to set a good example. They may accept your opinion of Amazing without question. Each of us has a measure of influence. I think it’s very important to use that power wisely and be very cautious about judging others, especially publicly. Yes, I believe in exposing dishonesty, inconsistency, and hypocrisy. I try to let behavior speak for itself, and let readers decide for themselves how to interpret the behavior.

The area between judging, expressing our opinions, stating the truth, and calling names is hazy sometimes. We each have to examine our own motivations when we post.

I agree that Amazing must accept the consequences of his own behavior. He chose to come to this discussion board and to post his opinions, knowing that everyone might not agree and that he might be insulted. He has stated his reasons for leaving, and each person here is free to interpret his remarks and comment on his behavior. My own choice is to give Amazing the benefit of the doubt and to believe that he was sincerely trying to help others, even if at times he was dogmatic and reacted emotionally.

I think it unfair to place all the blame on Amazing. Every person who participated in the threads influenced the discussion towards a focus on issues or personal motives. Amazing chose to react to Amnesian’s rebuttal by accusing her of “sexism, sarcasm, and misrepresentations.” Since Amazing accused Amnesian, the burden of proof lies with him. Tina countered by discussing some of the issues Amazing mentioned, but also judged that his motives were to deny, defend, and excuse his behavior. Since Tina accused Amazing, the burden of proof lies with her. Instead of asking Tina for her proof, Amazing reacted by calling Tina a liar and offered proof to refute her accusation. Tina responded with more accusations and called Amazing a liar. This is very human behavior, and no one person is completely to blame.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=18103&site=3

I appreciate Larc’s comments in this thread. If our intention in a discussion is to influence another person to change what we view as shoddy behavior, accusations usually only enforce a wall of denial. When people are confronted, evidence is usually more effective than accusations alone. If you want to influence with integrity, without coercion and shame, I think it best to try to influence how a person thinks about issues, showing them where their thinking becomes twisted or tangled. This is why therapy is so helpful. We confess our behavior, and the therapist reflects it back to us, compassionately shedding light on the irrational interpretations that cause our feelings and behavior.

The most dangerous lies are the lies we tell ourselves. It’s not always pleasant to look in the mirror. For me, being a friend means that I try to be a truthful mirror. My interpretations and vision may not always be correct, but I will tell you honestly what I see.

I don’t like it when others impute bad motives to me. Given your response to Kismet, evidently you don’t like it either. I trust that anyone who cares about me and my behavior and questions my motivations will ask me directly, “What was your intent?” or will say, “I don’t understand," as Kismet said to you.

I don't like criticizing your behavior and Tina's publicly. At the same time, if you dish it out, I think you should be willing to take it. I'm no saint, and I hope both of you will do the same for me when the situation warrants.

Other people have phrased all this better and more succinctly than I can:

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. –-Carl Jung

Perhaps love is the process of my leading you gently back to yourself. --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ginny

P.S. It has taken me a lot of time to think about what bothered me in this situation, weigh the issues, and write this one post. I feel my priorities are rather skewed lately, and I’m spending too much time on the board. I plan to reply to Teejay also, but not today. If I’m slow to respond, I hope you all will understand.

• teejay
    teejay
    Several years ago I attended a seminar...

I learned that often my emotional response is determined by how I interpret events.

I learned in therapy that my interpretations were often based on false assumptions. I learned to be very careful about my interpretations...

We can’t directly control what we feel....

This is why I usually remain quiet when there are personal disputes on the board. Only the two parties involved in a dispute know their history together, how they’ve interpreted those events, how they feel, and their motivation and intent in responding.

I feel it is presumptuous of me to judge the behavior of anyone but myself....

I admire Amnesian’s reply...

--- GinnyTosken

• Tina
    Tina

edited for coming re-write

• teejay
    teejay
    Once I understood what causes behavior, I also understood that it is very dangerous for me to try to judge the behavior of anyone else. I feel that it is unjust to judge behavior alone without considering intent. I cannot read minds and cannot know what evidence and experience others use to form an interpretation of an event.

... rarely in life do we ever have 100% of the information we need to decide conclusively about anything, and we do form opinions of people based on what we’ve observed of their behavior.

Your opinion of Amazing may be valid.

Who can argue with Amnesian’s experience? She lived it, saw the events... Her post is great...

I see a man who reacted emotionally...

Only Amazing knows for sure what his motivations are for posting. I’ve seen a lot of people say good-bye on this board. It’s easy to jump to the conclusion that they’re cowardly, self-pitying drama queens. They may be, but I don’t think it’s fair to accuse anyone of this unless I have certain proof.

I agree that Amazing must accept the consequences of his own behavior.

I think it unfair to place all the blame on Amazing.

• waiting
    waiting

Ginny,

A fine post - thank you. There were so many sides to the issue involved - and so many posters - and so many angry emotions.

I will try to quote you within the context of your complete paragraph - so that misconceptions won't arise un-necessarily.

I appreciate Larc’s comments in this thread. If our intention in a discussion is to influence another person to change what we view as shoddy behavior, accusations usually only enforce a wall of denial. When people are confronted, evidence is usually more effective than accusations alone. If you want to influence with integrity, without coercion and shame, I think it best to try to influence how a person thinks about issues, showing them where their thinking becomes twisted or tangled. This is why therapy is so helpful. We confess our behavior, and the therapist reflects it back to us, compassionately shedding light on the irrational interpretations that cause our feelings and behavior. - ginny
    I've also had quite a few years of therapy, but for different matters. However, one truth comes forth......our perceptions color our whole lives. Our interpretations of the same events and people can make us peaceful and/or killers. We can ruin friendships, marriages, save lives & love.

But what if we're wrong, don't know all the facts, judge rashly or harshly? We can cause much harm, to ourselves and others.

I reread Larc's comments - thank for the click. There's a lot of truth to what he says.

In JT's post he was not blaiming; he was describing. He did not blame the sisters, he blamed the system for allowing this behavior to become a norm. He and I discussed this system problem at length on another thread. You will notice near the end of his thread, he requested and end of the blaming, with a realization that it was the SYSTEM that created the behavior at all levels, from low to high, across both genders. Tina, in this situation, I think organizational psychology has more explanitory power than clinical psychology. - larc
    The SYSTEM the WTBTS set up - that it's followers MUST follow is the primary blame, then people in all stations have degrees of culpability. If we don't stop trying to crush others into classes to blame, we'll end up no different than the WTBTS.

Thanks again for your post - I enjoyed it in it's entirety.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit