List of Prominent JW Urban Legends...

by Tuesday 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y

Guys, just my take on the lions/missionaries story. I've lived in Africa my whole life and visited about a dozen African countries through the years. Even in deepest Africa, lions are controlled in wildlife reserves, parks and zoos. The chances that you would inadvertently meet up with a lion face to face is so remote, you're more likely to be eaten by a poodle whilst being struck by lightning with a winning lottery ticket in your pocket.

Lions eating grass? Their stomachs cannot digest the grass so it has zero nutritional value. They instinctively know that eating grass can cause constipation. That said, I was in Mutirikwi National Park in Masvingo, Zimbabwe in 1992 during a severe drought and saw lions chew on wooden fence poles. In retrospect, I'm sure they were only excising their jaw muscles or they were very frustrated. The drought was so bad that the warthogs (always round in shape!) in the park looked like pieces of jerky. Thousands of animals in the Masvingo province died daily.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    a favourite was the story of the Japanese Yakuza boos who had his own daughter murdered as she wouldn't enter into the crime family being a devout JW, whilst in prison he started studying and converted, after release from jail became an elder etc, clearly there are variants on this fable, I believe it may have been told at a CA.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    I think Dwight.D.Eisenhower came from an Adventist background, could be where that rumour sprung from. Anyone remember the talking demon teddy in England? I know amoung Indian witnesses in England in the late 70 's the evil de -materializing Hindu mother in law was big ( demons with knives Shiva style accompany her!)
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Did anyone else hear the one about the poor guy being pestered by demons as he tried church after church, hoping to make them go away, until he finally entered a JW KH and they finally left him alone?

I loved deconstructing that one, especially to ones who believed it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I found the information below in a quick internet search. I am not interested enough to confirm it, but if you want to spend the time you could go to the databse listed at the end to confirm it yourself. But why my brother? People believe what the want despite all the evidence in the world. You might ask your friend to prove it, if it actually happened it should be easy to confirm.
    But it just doesn't seem reasonable. The new world translation is just the American standard bible with some things added by the Watchtower that are questionable at best. For example they put Jehovah in the translation of the Greek scriptures even though it was never in the original Greek. They also took severe liberties with John 1:1 to support their anti Trinitarian stance, so how could it be considered the most accurate by anyone other than Jehovah's Witnesses? As others have pointed out, which of the many translations is best is subjective, and Jeopardy doesn't deal in opinions, just facts.
    Finally, for Jeopardy to use that in a game they would have had to have gotten the information somewhere. What would have been the source? It's doubtful they would have used the gone to the WBTS as a source for information, why go to them and not a mainstream religion? If the Jeopardy people had done that they would have had to have a source to prove it was correct in case it was challenged by another contestant.
    It's just JW urban legend, like John Denver (and a dozen other musicians) making all JWs leave his concerts.
    "The only two games with clues having to do with Bible translations are these: #5042, aired 2006-07-11 OLD AMERICAN HISTORY $400: In 1663 John Eliot's translation of this, both the old & new parts, appeared in Algonquin
    #2959, aired 1997-06-12 RELIGION $100: The first translation of this book printed in America was John Eliot's 1661-63 Algonquian one." Jehovah's Witnesses, you are all deceived -- not only by the WBTS, but by the MIStranslators of the NWT, who never studied Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic or Koine Greek. Are you willing to bet where you spend eternity on a group of men who choose to remain nameless instead of revealing they couldn't speak, write or translate a simple Hebrew sentence?
    EDIT: Bambi, isn't false witness a sin?
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

For some reason my comment above was cut off on one side after posting and I can't fix it.

I found the information below in a quick internet search. I am not interested enough to confirm it, but if you want to spend the time you could go to the databse listed at the end to confirm it yourself. But why my bother? People believe what the want despite all the evidence in the world. You might ask your friend to prove it, if it actually happened it should be easy to confirm.

The new world translation is just the American standard bible with some things added by the Watchtower that are questionable at best. For example they put Jehovah in the translation of the Greek scriptures even though it was never in the original Greek. They also took severe liberties with John 1:1 to support their anti Trinitarian stance, so how could it be considered the most accurate by anyone other than Jehovah's Witnesses? As others have pointed out, which of the many translations is best is subjective, and Jeopardy doesn't deal in opinions, just facts.

Finally, for Jeopardy to use that in a game they would have had to have gotten the information somewhere. What would have been the source? It's doubtful they would have used the gone to the WBTS as a source for information, why go to them and not a mainstream religion or better yet, a neutral souce, like Wikipedia? If the Jeopardy people had done that they would have had to have a source to prove it was correct in case it was challenged by another contestant. If someone, other than Jehovah's Witnesses, decided that the NWT was the "most accurate" it should be easy to find, so where is it?

It's just JW urban legend, like John Denver (and a dozen other musicians) making all JWs leave.

The Watchtower is just a legend in their own mind.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It's an urban legend widely spread, that the Bible is a holy book and what it says is directly from God.

That Dwight Eisenhower's parents or at least his mother was a JW (or Bible Student) is true.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Rotfl dwight DID come from an adventist backround. Dubbieisum is a adventist ripoff religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit