List of Prominent JW Urban Legends...

by Tuesday 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if you all could help me with my next video that I want to put up in the next couple of days (though I'm hoping for tonight), I want to come up with a list of the most prominent urban legends surrounding JWs and then refute them whatever they may be.

I'm thinking there's the urban legend about the question on Jeopardy that said the NWT was the most accurate would be a good one. That one stems from an online powerpoint presentation named Theological Jeopardy and a book which was written comparing six different translations of the bible. However confirmed by the producers and archivers of Jeopardy questions that it never happened.

There's the John Denver myth about him telling all the JWs to leave his concert, which stems from an incident where he told the audience "This next set is rather patriotic so if you're a JW this might be a good time to head to the bathroom or the concession stands."

There was also one about a guest on Oprah bashing the JWs and her standing up for them saying that several worked for her and asked the guest to leave. Apparently it was supposedly a Johnny Carson myth originally and it was about Mormons.

I would also like to address the myth about bloodless surgeries being less inherent risk than having a blood transfusion with the statistics on how many are actually infected adversely from blood transfusions vs the amount of people who die from not having blood transfusions.

So if I could have your help, are there any other really prominent urban legends about JWs that can be refuted, and if you could point me in the direction of where they can be refuted that would be great!

Thanks everyone for your assistance :)

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I'm thinking there's the urban legend about the question on Jeopardy that said the NWT was the most accurate would be a good one.

That is not a myth. I heard it with my own ears and fell out of the chair!

However, any attention you give to it will serve to publicise the controversy. Eventually, the rats will be routed from the woodpile.

• Chalam
    Chalam

"The NWT is the most accurate bible" I think easily qualifies by itself as a JW myth.

Blessings,

Stephen

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

millions now living WILL never die...

oh and random walking troll doll stories as well..

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

j-archives.com I believe is the site that has a list of every single question ever asked on Jeopardy since it's inception. If you type in "New World Translation" into the search you won't find anything.

That is not a myth. I heard it with my own ears and fell out of the chair!

If you google New World Translation Jeopardy and Urban Legend you will find a letter someone received from the producers of Jeopardy stating for the record that this question never was asked and it was never an answer. They stated that they get this question quite often and they assure the writer of the question that it never happened.

So if you remember when it happened you seem to contradict the archive of the show from the beginning and the producers of the show itself.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Chalam:

"The NWT is the most accurate bible" I think easily qualifies by itself as a JW myth.

Personally, myth is too nice a word. I think that quoted statement qualifies as a bald-faced LIE.

And why jeopardy producers would promote such a lie as being truth is the big question.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Smurfs!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Tuesday:

If you google New World Translation Jeopardy and Urban Legend you will find a letter someone received from the producers of Jeopardy stating for the record that this question never was asked and it was never an answer. They stated that they get this question quite often and they assure the writer of the question that it never happened.

So if you remember when it happened you seem to contradict the archive of the show from the beginning and the producers of the show itself.

I have said it before and I will say it again....THEY ARE LIARS.

Someday proveable truth will come out.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    I have said it before and I will say it again....THEY ARE LIARS.
    Someday proveable truth will come out.

I don't know how much more provable it can get, the producers have denied it and a searchable online record shows that it is patently false.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I heard one about a householder who shot a witness whose arm was amputated. The householder was sent to prison and then one day the one armed man meets the householder again after he converts to being a witness. When I pressed about names or locations I got nothing and smelled an urban legend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit