If God Truly Cared About People Wouldn't He DO SOMETHING By Now?

by minimus 392 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Could the answer be as simple as: There is no God who cares - no Christ that cares - no salvation planned?

Just asking. I am not atheist - YET. But the empty headed reasoning that comes from believers in God points me that way more and more.

Jeff

• minimus
    minimus

I'm disappointed that in this discussion some refuse to deal with the question as it exists. I feel like I'm talking to a Jehovah's Witness.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Min - my journey took a yearlong detour after leaving Jw's - I visited several churches, read the Bible like it was cocaine. Trust me, they are all the same. Jw's doctrine is a little different, but the same 'Leave it in God's hands, what we don't understand is a mystery' bullshit prevails in every one I found. Same thing here on the board whenever Christians are stumped by legit questions like the one you have posed. Just go circular with - "I know the Bible is inspired and that Jesus will save us cause the Bible told me so."

Jeff

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

“Is god willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him god?” – Epicurus 341 BCE to 270 BCE

Why do people have to defend an omniscience, omnipresent, omnipotent, omnibenevolence being?

Why do people keep making excuses for him/her/it?

I think that I am with Epicurus. Maybe he/she/it just can’t do anything. Or never existed

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" The Wizard of Oz, who uttered this famous phrase, had a scheme. That scheme was based directly upon an impression of omnipotence without any legitimate power.

Take care,

Ismael

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well stated MG. I am sick to death of people defending God when there IS NO DEFENSE.

Epicurus hit the nail straight on the head.

Jeff

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Minimus,

You are not being fair at all. I am dealing with the Q as it exists only you do not want to accept my answer.

Jeff,

You pretty much are an athiest at this point. And I say that because of the way you mock God and Christians these days. Its too bad too because I remember you from a few years back and you were still a believer. You were a much nicer person back then.

You both may feel I am stupid or prescribe to "empty headed reasoning" but you what, I am happy and peaceful in my life. I am out in the world helping people every day. I understand the big issues of what is going on in the world and know this life is only temporary. And even if it is not, so what? I spent most of my life following sound moral advice found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ and being peacable with all peoples. So in the end, I can go in peace even if I go nowhere. My life has had a positive impact on many people.

I thank you both for teaching me a valuable lesson and that is when my gut says not to respond to a thread because it is just another trap meant to insult Christians about belief in God, I will listen to my Gut. People gave wonderful responses on this thread and honest answers from our perspective and got nothing postive back but being called names like stupid and empty headed. Even I, as a Christian if I ask a Q to one of my Jewish or Muslim friends, when they respond to it, can say thank you. Even if I do not agree with the answer. But I guess you need to be a mature person to do that.

The WT has spun out so many emotionally immature people that are simply not capable of having a discussion on any topic UNLESS everyone agrees with thier position. And you say Jeff I am like a JW? Lets see, who called names on this thread first? I think you are the one acting like a JW because instead of an intelligent rebuttal, you chose to call me empty headed.

Whatever, what a waste of my valuable time!

• minimus
    minimus

Lil, I think you're a judgmental person. To suggest you have wasted your valuable time is insulting. I'm not "looking to insult Christians" but your responses just do not make sense. Your responses make Christians look bad.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

LIL said: You both may feel I am stupid or prescribe to "empty headed reasoning" but you what, I am happy and peaceful in my life. I am out in the world helping people every day. I understand the big issues of what is going on in the world and know this life is only temporary. And even if it is not, so what? I spent most of my life following sound moral advice found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ and being peacable with all peoples. So in the end, I can go in peace even if I go nowhere. My life has had a positive impact on many people

First of all, my 'empty headed reasoning' comment was not directed at you personally, Lil.

Second - the rest of that paragraph fits my life description also. I work in charity. I know life is temporary. I follow the moral advice in the Bible actually, though far from considering it 'inspired'. I am peaceable with all people. I fully expect you are right - that at death 'we will go no where'. I am saddened a bit by that, as I really wanted to 'live forever'. My life has had a positive impact on many also.

I do not feel you are stupid. Far from it. I just don't believe that you have taken the question that Min posed seriously. You have fell back on the old and tired 'well if we don't understand it, then we must wait on Jehovah God Jesus.' or 'it is all man's fault'. The same reasoning that Jw's use.

I'm sorry that in your estimation, my 'faith' or lack of it, makes me either a better or a worse person. I have not changed. But I have begun to think, and don't accept information that has no solid foundation. That offends Christians in general, who cannot defend God against the charges leveled honestly in this thread.

Jeff

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Jeff,

Thank you for your response. Sorry I took your comment personally. But I would like to clear this up; I am not falling back on the old "if you don't understand it, wait on God". For I DO understand why there is suffering in the world and I am going out and doing something about it. I do not feel that it is biblical to expect God to take care of all our problems. And I believe that he is doing something and has been. That is really the biggest disagreement we have. I feel God IS doing something, and you and minimus feel he is not. We can go around in circles all day long but I am not going to convince you of my view anymore than you will convince me of yours. And I think that is ok.

I am glad you are helping people in the world. We ALL should do that no matter what our religious belief. Peace Lilly

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I will say this - that our actions can be representative of our personal God. I am sure that many faithful Christians are reflecting what they believe that God has told them to do. I have known many fine atheists of whom the same cannot be said however. They are just good people, without any attribution to a supernatural power.

Mohandas Ghandi was among the most charitable of men, most committed to his values, yet he did not accept Jesus as his God. As Hindi, his views were, according to Christendom, totally 'pagan'. Yet he influenced his part of the world for good more than anyone had done in centuries. Yet accourding to Christian dogma, he is right now condemned to hell for his refusal to accept Jesus as Lord. Many Christians would label me as worthy of the same - they consider atheists and agnostics [of which I claim membership at the moment] to be 'ungodly' 'pagan' 'evil' 'unworthy of life'.

That very viewpoint is part of the problem with Christianity. They elevate themselves as better than others. They judge others for their choice of belief.

THis thread is not about that. It is about fair and equitable debate dealing with God's failure to act.

There is no doubt that many act positively, and that that is influenced by the religion they profess. But what is God doing? Personally? Beyond what we can do?

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit