If God Truly Cared About People Wouldn't He DO SOMETHING By Now?

by minimus 392 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm not an atheist.

Then my post doesn't apply to you I guess.

• superpunk
    superpunk

It is possible to debate a topic while not holding the set of beliefs you are debating from. This discussion assumes God (in particular Bible-God) exists - and it continues on from there.

The problem Christians have is that they cannot RESIST making positive assertions about their Lord. He is love. He is justice. He is mercy. The second you make those statements, you must be able to defend them. And in light of the natural world, which Christians also insist was the invention and design of their Lord, these statements are indefensible!

The only way around it is to claim that we don't know why God allows these things, we can't know, it's simply a mystery. It's not very satisfying, but it is a legitimate answer.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The only way around it is to claim that we don't know why God allows these things, we can't know, it's simply a mystery. It's not very satisfying, but it is a legitimate answer.

And that answer was already given, on a few threads.

The fact is, we don't know why he doesn't interven or if he does only on selected times or even if he ever truly promised he would, we just don't know so all we can do is speculate and try to wrap our mortal and finite minds around something that may be infinite and beyond any possible understanding on our part.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Then you also have to accept that you can't make any positive assertions about him. You can't say he's good. You can't say he loves us, or that he cares about us in any way. Religious texts become almost meaningless, except to teach us about our history as a societ, and be clever fables and interesting fairy tales.

But you can't have your cake and eat it too, rationally. You can't claim all the good things about God in the bible, then when confronted with things that are indefensible, plead "It's a mystery".

• mouthy
    mouthy

Hear ye!hear ye!! I have just heard God is allowing Satan to rule over the earth
    Because it is the sorting the wheat from the weeds...Then when the Big Bang
    Comes Fire will come down & all the weeds will,be burned does that answer it MINI??

• minimus
    minimus

So, the bottom line is: who knows?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

superpunk,

IF we use the bible as a reference point and as a christian, use the NT in particular, we can accept that God loves us and is the source of all that is good and we can also accept that many bad things happen to us for a mirad of reasons ( our faults, nature, satan).

Since God created all then yes, we can "blame" God for all that is horrible and praise him for all that is good.

Minimus,

Yes, the bottom line is truly, "who knows why God doesn't do something now".

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If anyone here elected to just allow his/her children to be ravaged by disease that is curable, shot by intruders that could have been stopped, or starve to death while failing to direct them to nourishment, what would happen to them?

They would be tried and executed in most countries as neglectful parents, unsuitable to remain in society.

God does this every day to his children. So, maybe he is there - but he is one worthless son of a bitching father isn't he?

I also am not an atheist. But I don't like God if he is out there. I hope when he allows me my suffering and death that he kills me quickly. And no heaven for me! I don't desire such company! Those who support this supernatural one in his neglect of his children are no better than accomplices.

If I defended a man who did such things you would throw me in jail. Rightfully so!

Jeff

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, Jeff. If we as humans did the same as God does----do nothing, then we would be held in derision and punished. I thought we were to follow God's example. (Somehow, I can't picture Christ doing this).

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Perhaps I am just angry at the idea of God [it is man's invention perhaps].

Regarding Jesus - was he any different than God? How can religious believers ignore the 'wicked' nature of God's insensitivity, while at the same time praising Jesus - who supposedly was so much like God?

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit