If God Truly Cared About People Wouldn't He DO SOMETHING By Now?

by minimus 392 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

Darth Fader's Axiom:

To believe in an all powerful god is to devalue human life.

Darth

• moshe
    moshe

I have electricity, food, a pension, medical care, TV, etc. God has already done something by using the creative talent of humans. We don't hang women who behave strangely for witchcraft, we send them to a doctor to get medical help for mental illness.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26
    Below is a "cut and paste job" of a post I made from a very similar thread about a month ago........ which I've spread out over two posts due to changes in post sizes and I have altered it a bit to better fit the question being asked....

As a Deist of sorts I am 99.9% a believer in a divine creator, I call this 'creator' natures god, (i will not for the sake of space on this tread go into extreme detail as per my idea of what or whom exactly god is to me, this is of no importance to the questions at hand).

To answer the question- "If God really cared.... blah blah blah....."

To quote a friend of mine ;

"I believe that describing God's non-interfence in his creation is just a way for some to put Deism down. Abandonment sounds negetive, as though the Deist God is indifferent or uncaring. This universe doesnt need intervention. It has everything it needs. Only a poorly-concieved or poorly-made creation would need to be constanly tinkered with to keep it functioning."- CClendenen.

So how do we reconcile our belief that God is caring if so many around us are sufferring? I have a few words as quoted from the Dali Lama to share in that regard;

"We live very close together. So, our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can not help them, at least dont hurt them."- Dali Lama
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Lill,

"I believe that describing God's non-interfence in his creation is just a way for some to put Deism down. Abandonment sounds negetive, as though the Deist God is indifferent or uncaring. This universe doesnt need intervention. It has everything it needs. Only a poorly-concieved or poorly-made creation would need to be constanly tinkered with to keep it functioning."-

So do you believe in a non intervening Deity? Another words He caused the Big Bang and that is it? No further involvement from that point in time? No causing the Bible to be written? No bringing his son down to earth? etc..?

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

happyguy,

The fact that some countries have unclean water with parasites in it that can blind children IS absolutely because of the fact that man governs himself independent of God. Ask yourself this, why aren't these countries cleaning the water? Why isn't man being the proper stewards of the earth that God intended him to be? I do not see how you can blame God for man's actions and non actions in caring for the earth. We were made "Lord" over all things on the earth. The responsibility for clean drinking water is on us, not on God.

You may find my position foolish but I am standing by it. Just because you feel God is not doing what you feel he should be doing, does not mean he is non existant or that he does not care.

God has already shown his care for us in many ways including in creation, the way he created us to enjoy this life, by sending his Son to release us from future condemnation and death, by setting up his kingdom on the earth, the subjects of which have created outreach programs through out the world helping literally millions of people with food, shelter, medical care, clean water, clothing, housing, etc. the list goes on and on.

He not only HAS done something, he continues to do so. You just don't accept what he is doing since you want him to do what you feel is right. Well, God does not jump thru hoops because we say he should. If he did he would not be the infinite God. He has his own plan for us and that is just the way it is. Also, like Mouthy said, HIS own timetable to carry it out. But at this time, we will continue to live in a world that is far removed from God, and so we should not be surprised by all the suffering we see in it.

This being said, It would not do any good to go further on this thread, or we will just be going around in circles. This Q about why God continues to allow suffering and has not stepped in to end it has been going on for thousands of years I am sure and I do not think there is an answer that will be sufficient for you, especially since you admit you do not believe in God in the first place. Peace, Lilly

• littlebird
    littlebird

Ok Happyguy, my comments were not meant as an attack on you personally but on the idea that people tend to want someone other than themselves to solve todays problems. I will respond to your comments now. ( I can't get it to cut & paste so all will answer numerically)

1. I don't believe God is pure love. He has other qualities, much like we do.

2. Man wanted to rule themselves, so he let them. Cause & effect. Brief reasons why there is suffering:

A. Natural forces of the earth, tornado's & earthquakes, wild fires have purposes, we need to be out of the way. Sometimes these are mistakenly called "Acts of God" , But some may be caused by Satan. See Job Chapter 1.

B. Some suffering we self inflict by using poor choices in our free will.

C. Some suffering inflicted by others using their poor choice of free will.

D. Disease a result of our sinful nature and us not properly caring for our earth.

3. No blame shifting here, man wanted to rule themselves, so here we are. And you're still under the assumption that he's doing nothing. As I said before he uses people (thats where you & I come in) also see Hab. chapter 2.

4. I have great empathy for others, that is why I give to organizations that meet these needs. I would go personally, but its not finacially practical for me to do so, therefore I give to those who can. Have you been to the third world? I would be encouraged to hear how you have been helping these children. Yes, I know you want God to, but he has given that responsiblity to us. Just asking, no disrespect meant.

5. The book of Matt. shows us that we are to feed the hungry, help the sick & injured & to be in peace with one another. If we all did a little more to practice this , the world would indeed be a better place.

6. God is doing something by teaching us in scripture how to help ourselves & others. I trust that he sees the bigger picture.

In the future, its Little Bird. I wont respond to any further name calling.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Oh, Happy, one more thought.

Do you have children? If so as a father would you want your children to just sit around and do nothing, or would you want them to take steps knowing that every step they take is either for good or evil and all have consequences. God our heavenly father like our earthly father would not want us to take a step in the wrong direction ie take drugs and tells us the evil of it however it is still our choice to take that drug as it is your childs that is free will. We have to choose to take advice and do what we know to be right.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

lovelylil2 spouted:

The fact that some countries have unclean water with parasites in it that can blind children IS absolutely because of the fact that man governs himself independent of God. Ask yourself this, why aren't these countries cleaning the water?

This has nothing to do with the water being unclean. These parasites live in the rivers, the rivers are not polluted as there is no industry in the areas where I have talking about (I have been there). This has nothing to do with man governing himself. Your god created these worms and put them in the rivers and created them so that humans are one of their favorite food sources and created them so that they cause blindness.

Cleaning the water is not the issue, there is nothing you can do to the water that will remove the worms. I know this because we tried.

Try doing a little reading and educate yourself before you spout your "its all man's faullt because he chooses to govern himself" nonsense in the future.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

littlebird,

Okay so that is three posts and you still completely avoid my point. My point is that your god could easily alter the worms that cause the blindness and ease the suffering of millions of future victims. This has nothing to do with the soveriegnty issue or any of the other nonsense that you spouted. The fact that he does not act on this matter indicates to me that he is either powerless to do so or does not care. Either way you can keep your god.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Happyguy,

What parasites are you referring to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit