Why do Ex-JWs start celebrating pagan Christmas?

by DubR 221 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello DubR,

I expect they just started reading the bible and accepting what it says, as opposed to what the WT says it says

Romans 14:6 (New International Version)

6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

1 Corinthians 10:30-31 (New International Version)

30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

1 Timothy 4:4 (New International Version)

4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving

Of the WT and the other Pharisees who do not believe, it is written

Titus 1:15 (New International Version)

15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

Blessings,

Stephen

• crapola
    crapola

Because we can!!! And noone condems us. It's harmless fun. And by the way, you do sound like you are condeming those who chose to celebrate.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

used to think "how can parents just out and out lie to their kids about Santa?"

I have pictures of my son with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Do I relly need to worry about it when he finds out they aren't real?

• Dagney
    Dagney

used to think "how can parents just out and out lie to their kids about Santa?"

I have pictures of my son with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Do I relly need to worry about it when he finds out they aren't real?

Good one! Didn't think of that one.

• parakeet
    parakeet

DubR: Heck, im a ex-jw and i dont celebrate that holiday!

If you still believe in a god that condemns delighting little children, putting up a small tree, and giving to others, then you haven't really left the Watchtower yet.

Please try to answer the thread question next time. Im not new to knowledge.

Blondie is a treasure trove of knowledge on this site. But since you're relatively new here, I'll let it slide .... this time.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Christmas as explained by the WT is not very acurate. Modern Christmas celebrations evolved from various cultures over several centuries. The WT just chose the most unflattering elements to spin their conspiracy theory of how the "world" hates Jesus.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I celebrate it cuz it's fun. I don't give a thought to the origins of Christmas.

Bah Humbug the bOrg!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Because its fun. And if you took the origin of every single ceremony and holiday as seriously as JW's do, it would make you nuts. It isn't reasonable.

I don't care what Christmas WAS. I care what it IS. A time for family, love and happiness.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

DubR,

The whole "pagan" thing is so overblown by Watchtower Corp. Yeah, this and that, here and there, it can be traced back to some remote practice also done by pagans. Pagans ate and drank, too. Pagans pooped. Pagans wore clothes and lived in houses. Pagans ate carrots and peas and potatoes. Does the Bible say that Jesus ate carrots, peas, or potatoes? No. They are all pagan vegetables.

And you know what? Every week, nearly every congregation of JWs repeat a ritual of sun worship. Yes, they meet for religious indoctrination on...

SUNday

Such disgusting pagan practices! But that's not all. You know what most "brothers" wear to those "sun"day meetings? They wear pagan...

PANTS

Yeah, check the history. Jesus would have known from his pre-human existance about trousers from the Persians! Yet, Jesus never wore pants! Why? Because pants have a pagan history. For centuries they were the attire of military horsemen! Soldiers of Satan! Pants are not appropriate for followers of the "Prince of Peace"! The "brothers" should all be wearing proper, modest, Christian dresses, just like the sisters!

...and don't get me started on neckties! They're rooted in Roman Catholic Paganism! And anyone with eyes can see that they're a phallic symbol! Some guys have wide ties, some long, some with knotted bowties. All right-hearted individuals can discern that a necktie all a visible, outward indication, a symbol of the hidden penis.

Really, everything is pagan.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

For the same reason JWs do. Oh, they don't call it Christmas, give gifts or put up decorations, but they have no problem having a turkey dinner and inviting others over. They have no problem walking around the neighbourhood to admire the Christmas lights others put up. They have no objection to getting paid for the holiday. If they had an ounce of integrity they would refuse the money.

The watchtower didn't ban Christmas because it's "pagan". They didn't ban birthdays, Easter, or Thanksgiving because they're "pagan" either. They banned these holidays because:

1. It's another mechanism to isolate their members from normal society.
    2. They would rather see their members donate the money to the WTS.
    3. It helps them satisfy their desire to control and oppress.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit