Why do Ex-JWs start celebrating pagan Christmas?

by DubR 221 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DubR
    DubR

Thanks blondie, im sure most of the people on here understood my thread question! Heck, im a ex-jw and i dont celebrate that holiday! And yea, i think celebrating Christmas is better than killing people! Please try to answer the thread question next time. Im not new to knowledge.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

DubR,

What might be helpful to you, is to write down what you think would be wrong about celebrating Christmas. You might be surprised to find that any objections you might have all stem from WT indoctrination, rather any REAL-WORLD harm that would come to anyone.

Outside the Kingdom Hall, I've never met anyone that thought a Christmas celebration was in any way symbolic of a participant's reverence to paganism. The lighted Christmas tree in my window -- in my part of the country -- would give passersby either (1) the impression that I'm a Christian or (2) the impression that I'm "culturally" Christian, and enjoy the traditional holidays celebrated here.

If lived in a country in which my tree or celebration would cause offense to a majority or put myself in danger, I'm certain that I would not celebrate it. The ONLY people offended by my Christmas tree, here in the Deep South Mississippi rural countryside, are the Jehovah's Witnesses.

The same rationale used by Watchtower to justify wedding rings and wedding anniversary celebrations can easily be used to justify celebrating birthdays -- if you're looking for a justification.

-LWT

• mouthy
    mouthy

Do you wear a wedding ring???
    Do you look at the gods on Thur,WED on your calender.?
    Well if you do please take off the ring.(PAGAN)
    Better change your Calender ...
    I spend Christmas alone. I send cards Gifts
    to all I want to...Because MY GOD JESUS CHRIST the WAY! TRUTH! LIFE!
    says to LOVE all my enemies, & to listen to no man at allI dont!!!! I listen to my heart....That shows me happy little faces
    at christmas times, Mum & Dad trying to make them smile
    Go look at the Paradise book see what the little face of the Witness kids think
    about before they go to sleep Not the fat man is a red suit, They think a a GOD
    Jehovah who is just waitng for them to miss a meeting, do something wrong
    lie, steal, cheat, & that picture in the paridise book shows em what the hell will
    happen to them....& they better not forget it mate!!!! Or ELSE they are gonna's
    But the Kids of us "pagans" see LOVE!!!! Families together not the hate of the WT.
    we see Kissing, feasting,singing,hugging, HE DIED FOR US TO LIVE MORE ABUNDENTLY

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Can you spell rebellion? Sure, I knew you could...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Can you spell rebellion? Sure, I knew you could...

I see what you're saying. Moreover, rebellion is legitimate, in the case of persons victimized by this religion.

But, let me be perfectly clear: I do not participate in things that are a drag. If Christmas were not fun, I wouldn't bother. I really enjoy it.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I hear ya LWT. It's just that most Ex-JW's do resort to some sort of rebellion in some shape or form. It doesn't matter what it is. I like X-Mas myself...

• dissed
    dissed

I think you have a good question, but it's obvious your thinking is still being clouded by the WTS. It stays with you doesn't it?

It took me 8 years to finally leave this part behind me.

The origins are not important unless a person wants to use them to judge others, which is what the WTS does.

The traditions have endured because there is nothing wrong with them, in fact just the opposite. It bring all parts of the family closer together, something which the WTS hasn't the capability to do.

You asked the question with a smug attitude, just like a JW, who thinks they are superior to others, with the knowledge they possess. But in time, you'll change as you break freer from their control over you. I say this, not as an insult, that is not my intention, but just to let you know, time away from them will open your mind to new thoughts, with less judgements of others.

• Open mind
    Open mind

If I just left Islam I'd probably be eating lots of BLTs.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I hear ya LWT. It's just that most Ex-JW's do resort to some sort of rebellion in some shape or form. It doesn't matter what it is. I like X-Mas myself.

Quirky!!!! doesnt nearly most of the generation today rebel???Not only those leaving the WT
    to my old eyes, ears, I listen to the youngsters of today. MOST think their parent are stupid.

• Heaven
    Heaven

@ Open mind! Mmmmm....bacon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit