Why do Ex-JWs start celebrating pagan Christmas?

by DubR 221 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet

Finally-Free: ... they have no problem having a turkey dinner and inviting others over. They have no problem walking around the neighbourhood to admire the Christmas lights others put up.

You're right about that! My JW mom gets indignant at being left out of the festivities at Christmas, even though it's by her own choice! My sibs and I have found the only way to mollify her is to bring her a gift sometime during the week before Christmas as well as some cookies. If that isn't celebrating Christmas, then I'm a hobbit.

Rocco's photo is back in season again, FF. Does he like to pull candy canes off the tree and eat them? My parrot does, so I make sure to buy fruit-flavored canes.

• Satanus
    Satanus

You're pretty judgemental on pagans, dubr. A LOT of popular customs, traditions and religious practices come from pagans. Seems me, that those guys knew how to live. They were more in touch w nature. That you dismiss it without a thought shows how much you know about paganism.

S

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Additionally, I think the JW door-to-door ministry is pagan. It's deeply rooted in the Halloween custom of "trick or treat". As in... first we get dressed up in our pagan pants and ties, then ding-dong "take this colorful litteratrash or you'll be eaten by birds at Armageddon!" and then it's off for some pagan coffee to drink.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Yes, I know Jesus wasn't born on 12/25 (it was more likely October). I know that early Christians chose to celebrate Christ's birth to coincide with the Solstice celebrations, not only to ease pagans into Christianity but also so they would be less conspicuous (it was a time of persecution).

I see the Father's sending the Son to live among us as being worthy of remembrance. That we do so on an arbitrary day does not matter, after all, the entire calendar is arbitrary as well as pagan in origin. What matters is the remembrance, not the specific day.

For me, celebrating Christmas fills the empty hole that existed for most of the years I was unevenly yoked to my JW ex. I did so throughout my childhood, youth, and early adulthood. I understood the reason for it from the time I was in first grade, thanks to the teachers at our parochial school. To me, the years of ignoring Christmas were years of denying the Father's gift to all mankind. I am not reverting to pagan practices, I am returning to showing appropriate gratitude for God's greatest gift to mankind.

Christmas is not about Santa! See Dicken's Christmas Carol, see Shultz's Charlie Brown Christmas, see the crew of Apollo 8 giving a Christmas Eve reading while voyaging past the moon, see the Salvation Army, USMC, and many others offering charity to whomever is in need. That is the Spirit in action. That is Christmas.

Wishing everybody a "Merry Christmas!",

GL Tirebiter

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think maybe pants were invented on Dec. 25.

Can we call it Pantsmas instead?

Anyway, I think this time of year is a great time... at least in the Northern Hemisphere... for holidays. Without the lights and the good cheer (ignoring the greed), it's so dark and gloomy and depressing. Even though I have never celebrated, and will never get into the crazy shopping madness, I at least enjoy the lights, eggnog, and time off with the family. Yeah, and in this cold it's a great time to wear pants. I'm such a pagan.

• PEC
    PEC

Because, the WT is wrong about everything. They are afraid that you might buy a gift, for someone you love, rather than donate to their pedophile defense fund.

Philip

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are so many things we do that started with pagans. Everything is pagan. So what?

A pagan is someone who does not acknowledge the god of the big three- judaism, islam, christianity.

That was everyone at one time. The big three are just as mythical as the rest, so there is really no difference.

I don't think I would start putting up a tree if my wife "came out" of the JW's. But my family follows the tradition of exchanging gifts at that time of year. It is great to exchange gifts, regardless of their reason. Call it Festivus for the rest of us if you have to. Call it Annual Observance or Winter Solstice. Whatever.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

LOL because I AM a pagan.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

OTWO, "It is great to exchange gifts, regardless of their reason."

At least with Pantsmas, everybody knows what they're getting... and returning, because I guessed the wrong size. Maybe I need to rethink my revised, secularized, pagan holidays. Sweatermas?

• tinker
    tinker

Hear Hear, I would like to make a motion that we as XJW heretofor designate every 3rd Thurs as Pantsmas Day. Gifts are optional, pants are not. Traditions will evolve but lets start with Colored Lights and Giant Glitter. I want Sushi as the main food because that's my favorite but you can have whatever you like.

And Billy the Ex-Bethelite will be Master of Ceremonies and wear a very tall hat under which he carries a Wiener Dog wearing pants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit