Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yup! He sure can! ... I would really like to see him proceed with submitting his material. I personally realized a few years ago that holding back or being afraid of submitting my 'stuff' is not only cowardly, but also selfish.

Because... Someone out there might really enjoy my creations. If I hide in the shadows, shivering with fear of humiliation or rejection, I deprive all those potential 'appreciators' of the opportunity to see and enjoy my creations.

I know I'd rather read a thriller or haunting story written by CoCo than one written by Stephen King. I suspect that Mr. King is paid by the word; must be, since he crams such an excess of them into his books. One thing I did like about "The Haunting of Hill House" [the book, by Shirley Jackson] is that it's intense and sublime, even though it's a rather short book.

When something is well written, the author need not drown his audience in words... Zid jk

• compound complex
    compound complex

Wonderful reading there, Zid!

Have you ever got moxie and chutzpah! I like your style, and what you say about getting it out there is correct. The JW-mentality is a difficult one to get past, however. I'm working on it. Encouragement such as you and Musky (as well as that of many other of my dear friends) have provided is what truly spurs me on ...

Much love,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Last entry, in italics, from page 3:

Stumbling through the debris of many days' inattention to my studio's general health, I pick my way blearily to the airless open window and pose momentarily at the sash. The yellowed, tattered wisps of some ancient lace curtain hang limp and motionless, framing in a view I've come to hate:

The green, naive whelp, the inveterate idealist ... me, myself, I.

Forty years ago, there I was, pounding the pavement of the asphalt jungle, searching for any who would listen to the Formula, the only true creed: compliments of the Boss Himself. My much older, wiser and jaded shell of spent humanity gazes downward through an opened pane of filthy glass. I eye with menace my youthful, scrubbed ruddiness and earnestness. Though dressed in somewhat worn hand-me-down threads, my tattered saintliness won over not a few souls. Little did I then realize that the inherent naturalness of youthful persuasion had been reeled in, unhooked and shoved into the creel of rigid and uncompromising uniformity. Unwittingly, I had been selling my own soul while in the process of winning over the souls of trusting men, women, children ...

From my enlightened vantage point I look back in time, I look down at my beautiful, young manhood. From a darkened pane I see my reflection and despise what I have become ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Strangely, a cool sense of tranquility washes over me as I come out of my reverie, my black reminiscence ...

The vision of my youthful ideals embodied in vaporous shadow on the pavement below has evaporated. Gone for the moment but sure to return as an untold want ... a want, a wish for explanation why it all went so wrong. Yet, wrong by whose interpretation? I learn to shut it out, shut out the noise in the head called irrational thought, excessive thinking that leads only to depression, if not, eventually, to insanity.

I pull away from the window, shut it tight against the chilly predawn air, and forget my dark reflection. It's only a phantom, scarcely the real me. I throw on some duds lying in a tumble at the foot of my bed and don my black cap, drawing it down tight at my ears. Out the entrance to my studio I lunge, not bothering to lock up. Why take the silly but usual precautions at this juncture in my over-dull life? A walk in the moonlight will do me good. I will see my inner turmoil in a new light, the softly suffused illumination della bella luna. The black shadow of the walking dead, cast upon the asphalt by the gracious moon, will be my companion ...

Chilled to the bone, I couldn't care less.

I tread slowly, reverentially, my way over to the frosty view above that patiently awaits me. Full, round and gleaming is beauty supernal: my exquisite, my lovely Moon. I wish to touch her but am overwhelmed by giant sentinels whose barren arms stretch with desperate longing toward her. For all their height, those statuesque trees are no more able to caress her silvery face than I. The eternal, unrequited pining for what is enthroned on high.

I seek something, someone on high to tell me who I am and where I am going, but it is a thankless and lonely quest. The lunar queen has no spoken answer, perhaps, yet her presence comforts me as none other can.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oooooo, CoCo, that last part gives me CHILLS - not all scary ones, either! There's a sensuality to your writing that Stephen King seems to lack... 'Course, I haven't read too much of King's works - I read one book, saw a few movies - his wordiness and totally off-the-wall [not in a good way, either...] plot ideas turned me off. I mean, really... A giant space-spider hiding in the sewers of a small town and turning people against each other???? Yeah, I'm reeeeeaaally afraid that might happen, someday...

On the other hand, I can see how you've taken your experiences with the WTBTS and used them as fuel for your writing. As it's processed by your brain, the bizarre, mind-warping tactics and methods of the WTBTS have provided very fertile ground for chilling thrillers. What I REALLY like about your writing is - as I've mentioned generally - you have style, sublety, sensuality, and thoughtful insight.

I'd REALLY REALLY rather read YOUR writing than King's!!!

Zid

jk

• musky
    musky

Thank you for posting your thoughts CoCo.

I also seek someone or something who can explain who I am and where I am going.For many years,I felt I was the one who had those answers.But I became the victim of a "carrot on a stick".I try to get answers by praying silently.I fear that no one is there to hear.Or,I am hated and not worthy of a reply, because I have deviated from the proper "channel".It truly does feel like a lonely quest.I never seem to stop trying though.Although it seems the efforts are becoming less frequent.How long can someone try to receive answers with no reply?Perhaps my entire life?And maybe that's all this life is.A big "classroom" from which we are students that will never fully graduate.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Your words, Ziddina and Musky, are extremely reassuring, particularly after my having read the public's reaction to Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. The reading public did NOT understand her intent and nearly rode her out of town on a rail. I may post this later on a new thread.

Yes, our experiences - whatever they may have been - are fuel for our "autobiographies," whether told by word-of-mouth or put into print. Each of us expresses him- or herself differently, with flowery abandon or laconic terseness. We succeed when we do what we know, that's why I don't write about spiders in the sewer system, though my dreams are weirder than what King writes!

And Musky, we're all still searching. I still believe in Jehovah and Jesus Christ and, if in nothing else, the validity of Matthew 6:33. I write about the moon, and numerous other inanimate entities and personify them, ascribing mystical powers to them. Whether it ends up being Jehovah, Jesus Christ or the "unknown god" whom Paul preached but was mistaken about as to true identity, all I know is that there is some unseen force out there. I'm beyond quibbling over who's truly Lord of the Universe. Why it all comes out as it does when I write I haven't a clue ... then again, I was god-oriented since a tot, so that's what I am and how I express myself.

My point, Musky, is that I, too, have deviated from the "channel," yet I sense no estrangement from the true source of divine essence. Maybe it's all idle chatter on my part, but my anecdotal accounts work for me, and whatever blessings come your way should give you heart.

There is something out there - don't give up the quest. The words I write - though of seeming despair - have at their core a conviction in the charity and magnanimity of The Universal Cause ...

Well, it seems to make good copy!

Love,

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I was god-oriented since a tot, so that's what I am and how I express myself.

Same here.

I cut my teeth on the flowery prose of the KJV and find myself slipping back into its familiar rhythm at times, e.g., when I threaten to smite someone "hip and thigh." Judges 15:8, I believe.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Judges 15:8 And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and dwelt in the top of the rock Etam. KJV

See what I mean?

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love your writing style, CoCo

During my last years with WT, I came to the same conclusion as you.

I wasn't about to try to convince anyone that WT had the answers!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit