Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Snowbird:

What a treat to wake up to a cuppa joe and dear Sylvia's winsome words, with a little help from James (AV)! Somehow the 23rd psalm, ala NWT, simply does not cut it - sharp, jagged and large, ungainly phrases bleeding ...

Your thoughts are always a pleasure and comfort to me, fellow former tot.

May your day be free of smiting hip-and-thigh high!

Sounds like fun, however!

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ah, yes, CoCo, the badly mauled and mutilated 23rd paean by NWT! What violence!

I remember a discussion during a bookstudy about the merits of NWT vs KJV. The conductor read Psalm 23 from both translations and asked which we liked best. A young lad raised his hand and enthusiastically shouted, "I like the OTHER one best," meaning the KJV.

The conductor was not pleased; the look on his face was priceless.

I immediately thought of Psalm 8 - another of my all time favorites.

Psalm 8

A David Psalm

1 God, brilliant Lord, yours is a household name.

2 Nursing infants gurgle choruses about you;
    toddlers shout the songs
    That drown out enemy talk,
    and silence atheist babble. MSG

LOL

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Psalm 8

To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David.

8:1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

8:2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

Psalm 23

A Psalm of David.

23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Such soul-soothing words! I remember them all my life; in fact, I don't remember a time when I didn't know those beautiful words!

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Beautiful, Sylvia!

I love how the gurgling infants and shouting toddlers drown out the inanities of older, ostensibly more powerful grownups. What a concept!

Thank you for writing out all the verses - much appreciated.

I'm totally enamored of euphony and mellifluous verse, and James, old boy, has got it!

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I love how the gurgling infants and shouting toddlers drown out the inanities of older, ostensibly more powerful grownups. What a concept!

Yes!

Our Lord recognized that when, during His triumphant procession to Jerusalem, He silenced His detractors with those immortal words from Psalm 8.

"Teacher, tell your disciples to be quiet," indeed!

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Syl:

!

Off to work for the day; thanks for all your delightful additions to this thread!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

I want the warmth of hearth and home. It is natural.

The house that draws my heart and mind away from all reasonable and natural desire, however, is desolate of any ember that might be kindled into a passionate flame. From yet so far a distance my imagination conjures up interior walls blackened by the oily soot of poorly trimmed kerosene lamps and a dank, poorly drafted fireplace whose tepid fires never quite took. The windows, likewise, are years and years gone unwashed. The now opaque panes distort through their dried-on grime views from within, visions from without. Paneled ceilings, somber and bleak, drip decades-worth of filthy webs downward toward stalagmite accumulations of swirling debris that reach upward, grasping tentatively, from warped and gaping oaken planks.

A grand and spiraling staircase takes center stage but startles me as its wide and toothless grin reflects the loss of many a baluster. It dares me any further approach. I draw back instinctively yet am morbidly fascinated by what is gently swaying in shadow ...

In the dark, at the top of the stairs....

• compound complex
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Mornin', CoCo.

Waxing Faulknerian, hey?

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, snowbird!

That and the vinyl floor ... [zeugma].

Have a good day and thanks .

CoCo