Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• musky
    musky

"Co Co is "different"."

If by different you mean insightful and a downright class act,then I agree

Yup!Hopscotch and I will come looking for you if you suddenly stop posting.But......Hopscotch may have to go into the house first.You know,just to check it out.Not that I would be scared or anything.

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're too cool, Musky!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm working on installment II. Those on my mailing list have asked ...

Many thanks.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

I pull away, turn on my heel and make for home. Escaping the glaring eye of the other, I realize, is only temporary. As I walk the last quarter mile toward home, there is my tormentor, staring me squarely in the face from on high. Twenty minutes earlier the dark entity was perched loftily upon a promontory, ensconced in that deadened wood. As I hasten anxiously homeward, I look only at my feet in order to avoid the persistent draw of the sinister landscape ahead on the ridge.

Upon my porch, I reach with a jerk for my key chain. I fumble as I look about to my right, to my left. Finally ... the latch key poised between thumb and index ... I insert it ... turn the key and knob.... Ultimate relief, at last, as I enter the cool, dark of my abode. As I collapse upon my threadbare wingback, I try to blot out images that began surfacing in my pounding cranium when I was in its leering presence.

It all happened so many, many years ago. It was war. It was a world away. The boss said they weren't people. No, not really. They were a threat to our way of life in this, our great country. I was just a kid. What did I know? Sure, they were only peasants, but they were mothers, fathers, brothers ... Why don't their faces just go away! Mom taught me all men are brothers. Always reading and preaching Pearl Buck. My mother would sit up in her grave and shriek if she'd known what I had signed up for. Maybe it was good she died so young. Rest in peace, Mom, rest in peace.

I would hate for her to have to choose between the two of me ...

• musky
    musky

Could those "peasants" be watching you from the window of that house?Demanding justice.Never allowing the thoughts to subside.Not even from the comfort of the wingback are you at peace.Possibly a cold drink would help?

• compound complex
    compound complex

You know my mind, Musky! Stay tuned ...

CoCo

• restrangled
    restrangled

Keep going Coco, ...I love this. I am assuming fiction but based on reality too....

r.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, restrangled, for the encouragement.

In my fevered state [flu] I'm getting weird visions and ideas.

Yes, reality-based fiction.

I am two people, but who ain't?!?!?

Best regards,

CoCo

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco, you haven't wound up with swine flu, have you?.....take care of yourself!!!!

r.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, r., for your concern. I have all the symptoms of swine flu except vomiting. After three days the fever has subsided ...

I continue having visions ....

CoCo

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco, if I was near, I would make big batch of my lentil soup and tomato bread....you would be well in no time!

Take care dear!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit