According to bookstudy, it's ok to beat wife.....occassionally

by JWinprotest 110 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's a good short story. First time I ever heard of it was on an episode of "Tales of the Unexpected".

• White Dove
    White Dove

That is the perfect clip to top off this thread. My is warmed

(Well, we can dream, can't we?)

• White Dove
    White Dove

My high school homework all make sense, now

• jambon1
    jambon1

I would only have had to hit my wife once & I am sure that she would leave me and quite rightly so. If anyone hit my daughter & I got to find out about it, I would personally make sure that he got a very good lesson in why domestic abuse is not 'ok'. Any men or organisation that trivialises violence in a relationship are negligent & culpable.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think Jehovah's Witnesses, in particular, hold martyrdom in high esteem. They choose to not see themselves as "victims", but rather as martyrs. In the days of Rutherford, the mode was to instigate fights in Catholic neighborhoods by playing extremely anti-Catholic messages. Fights broke out. JWs and Catholics eere jailed. JWs argued "freedom of religion" when they were jailed for instigating fights and saying fighting words. Today, many times over the talks are about being persecuted as showing the sign that they have the only true religion. Dying for refusing blood and allowing your child die is the ultimate form of martyrdom.

When a woman is being abused by an abusive husband, the elders instruct her to stay married, not separate, not divorce, pray to Jehovah he changes, be submissive, be more Godly, etc. The elders make her view her situation as a martyr. The elders do not counsel her as being in an abusive situation that will most likely ESCALATE without professional counseling of both spouses.

Some Jehovah's Witness women are sooo emotionally sick and into this martyr role, that they DO instigate the fight. I saw this within my relatives, repeatedly pushing hot buttons on an emotionally inept husband....until he erupts. After, the abused wife sat back and played the Godly martyr. I am not saying that ALL Jehovah's Witness women play this trick...but I can say that I did see it over & over & over again. As I said growing up, "Toying with the emotionally handicapped can be dangerous."

I do think that some of the Jehovah's Witness women "buy into" the role of being a submissive martyr.

I also agree that alot of women who stay in emotionally or physically abusive relationships become "emotionally sick" themselves as a survival skill.

Whether it is emotional or physical abuse ... it all has the same goal. The abuser seeks to degrade and humiliate his victim, while the elevatubg himself into a power position.

There are two ways to pull yourself up. Kick others around you down, or pull yourself up by your own talents. The abuser chooses the first.

Skeeter

(Yes, I do recognize that both men and women can be abused. But, I just used the example of a woman being abused as I think that is more common...especially among JWs)

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

good observation skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I was just explaining to someone else the JW child "forbidden" list (no Christmas, Holidays, Birthdays, worldly friends, salute the flag/anthem, abstaining from classroom activities that were 'worldly').

It dawned on me how this helps groom the JW child into beleiving being a martyr is glorios. Refraining from childhood delights that other children hold fun...and eventually being ridiculed by peers for abstaining....sets up the whole internalization of the martyrdom lifestyle. The JW religion easily convinces a child that these activities are wrong, and the proof of serving Jehovah can be seen from their peers' rejection. A JW child can't see himself as a victim, only a martyr.

• nearlyfree
    nearlyfree

I cant believe that they encourage wives to stay with their husbands - its criminal. I grew up with a father who was emotioanlly abusive with us kids and mum and swore to myself that if my hubby ever him me i would leave him. Well one time he did and what did i do...... I turned around and bashed him over the head with a plate, ( good memory) but should have left him, becuase he was verbally, mentaly and emotionaly abuse to me, and i stayed!!! ( yes i was a JW idiot)

This kind of abuse is just as bad if not worse than physical abuse because the bruises are not visible - and in my case no one would believe me as he was a MS. Anyway the second time he hit me was after we had split up - i reported to the police, took him to court, got an AVO out against him, and have never been more proud of myself for finally standing up to him. I will never let myself be subjected to that kind of treatment ever again and never let anyone tell me what Im supposed to put up with or not . I feel sorry for those sisters ( or brothers)who are putting up with abusive relationships and feel/told the right thing to do is to stay and put up with it - it doesnt make sense.!!!! They need to take action - not stay and put up with more abuse!!!!

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hmmmm...a tactic to "keep women in their place"...?

ESTEE

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

This doesn't really shock me. The WTS is perfectly in line with the bible... how many countless records are there of abuse and torture of women in the bible, both in the new and old testament? Strangers at your door? Send out your daughters! Servant raped and left for dead at your front door? Tell her to get up and get to work!

I swear, all these and much more can be found in the trusted bible. So why should the WTS view women any differently?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit