According to bookstudy, it's ok to beat wife.....occassionally

by JWinprotest 110 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    Well, slap the dog and spit in the fire!
    Land! UC agreed with me, and so stated!

LOL Sylvia...

...you know there's a Michael Vick joke in there somewhere, but I'm agonna be good...

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think a lot of JW women will stick with an abusive spouse because it makes them some kind of martyr.

Well that was not MY reason Daniel. I had four kids, no eduction( war was on when I was 12-16)
    not much schooling was done. Bomb dodging.!!!!.. I had no job( cos I had all these kids,used to
    go out scrubbing floors to help feed the kids while they were in school ( later on)
    Who was going to rent a apartment to a woman with 4 kids & no income. Wasnt like it is
    today...... WELFARE LOOKS AFTER YOU!!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

all the while, that stinkin negro was kickin my tail. YES - I called him a stinkin negro (I'm a sista too...so I can).

LOL.

Let it out, sistah!

(((((((BabyGirl)))))))

How about this? I've got a White baby girl and a Black baby girl!

Sylvia

• Mary
    Mary

This actually nothing new. I remember when this was studied in the Craptower over 20 years ago:

"Extreme physical abuse is another basis for separation. Suppose an unbelieving mate often gets drunk, becomes enraged, and causes the believer physical harm. (Proverbs 23:29-35) Through prayer and by displaying the fruitage of Jehovah’s spirit, the believer may be able to prevent such outbursts and make the situation endurable. But if the point is reached where the health and life of the abused mate actually are in jeopardy, separation would be allowable Scripturally."-----w88 11/1 p. 22 par. 11 When Marital Peace Is Threatened

"Extreme physical abuse furnishes another valid basis for separation. As is often the case, drunkenness may be an underlying cause, resulting in physical abuse. (Prov. 23:29-35) A mate who is not governed by Scriptural principles may fly into a rage and cause physical harm to the believer. This may occur often, so that one's health and life are actually in jeopardy. After thoughtful and prayerful consideration of the circumstances, the Christian may feel that there is no recourse but to separate from the abusive mate. On the other hand, the Christian may find that there are things she can do to avoid outbursts of anger on the part of her mate, thus making the situation endurable."-----w63 9/15 p. 571 When Marriage Ties Are at the Breaking Point

"From this it is evident that a Christian should not even consider separating from a marriage partner unless the case is critical. Extreme physical abuse, actual threat to life, or the absolute imperiling of one’s spirituality, might give rise to a consideration of separation. But even in these instances the mature Christian would separate from a mate only as a last resort."-----w65 9/15 p. 555 par. 10 Marriage in the New World Society

One of the elders made the comment that if he 'comes home in a bad mood and smacks his wife around' then that's not grounds for divorce. I couldn't believe my ears and me and several other sisters all looked at each other in disbelief. After the meeting I went up to him and said "so if I come to the meeting next Sunday and knock your teeth down your throat, that's no reason for you to do anything about it eh?'

It's unbelievable the neandrethal mentality that still resides in the small minds who write this crap.

• undercover
    undercover
    "so if I come to the meeting next Sunday and knock your teeth down your throat, that's no reason for you to do anything about it eh?"

F'g classic...

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Oh!! I almost forgot. According to some comments during the study, a wife shouldn't think twice about leaving her husband if he asks her to do something against biblical principles, and someone actually brought up oral and anal sex as an example....lol. But if he beats the crap out of her she has to make it a matter of prayer to Jehovah and really meditate over the decision.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Does anyone have a scan of the god's love book showing this?

elder-schmelder

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

in all my time in the congregation and every congregation i had been associated, once was enough. we never encouraged or discouraged a sister what to do. if she chose to stay with him, that was her decision. if she chose to leave, likewise.

i will say that what t'd me off most about it was that some idiot thought from the beginning it was ok to do this.

we had one guy who would grab his wife by the arm all the time really hard, even in front of people. her dad, an elder, had enough one day and went and confronted him in the back of the kh. well, the brother stated it was his business and no one else's. well, elder dad and a few other brothers decided to meet him after the meeting was over off of kh property. it was never known what happened, but this brother never made face again at the meetings and she left him that night and moved back in with dad. there was always rumors that he got what he once dished out, but there was never two witnesses to step forward and admit anything.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Does anyone have a scan of the god's love book showing this?

If someone could teach me how to do it I can give it a shot tonight.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think that a reality check may be called for here..All of us who have been inside the Borg know full well that marital violence is not "OK" among their households.. I know a Witness who was d/f'd for violence to his wife..I cannot vouch for the attitude of certain elders in certain cases and I am sure that there have been cases of a blind eye being shown ..But according to the rules it is not permissable :-

"Live With Jehovah's Day In Mind" p111

"21 Violence, physical or verbal, in the privacy of a Christian’s home is no more excusable than violence in public; God observes both. (Ecclesiastes 5:8) While Malachi referred to violence against a wife, nothing in the Bible makes violence less reprehensible if a man directs it against children or elderly parents. Nor is it excusable if a wife displays it toward her husband, children, or parents. Granted, in a family of imperfect humans, tensions may arise, causing irritation and sometimes anger. Still, the Bible advises us: “Be wrathful, and yet do not sin; let the sun not set with you in a provoked state.”

I do not have the citation for this weeks book study. I am guessing that this may be the one. You must judge if it merits all the comment raised above in this thread :

"Gods Love" p 219 - 221

The Bible’s View on Divorce and Separation

Jehovah expects those who are married to remain faithful to the marriage vow. When uniting the first man and woman in marriage, Jehovah stated: “A man . . . must stick to his wife and they must become one flesh.” Later, Jesus Christ repeated that statement and added: “Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.” (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:3-6) Hence, Jehovah and Jesus view marriage as a lifelong bond that ends only when one partner dies. (1 Corinthians 7:39) Since marriage is a sacred arrangement, divorce is not to be taken lightly. In fact, Jehovah hates divorces that have no Scriptural basis.—Malachi 2:15, 16

What forms a Scriptural basis for divorce? Well, Jehovah hates adultery and fornication. (Genesis 39:9; 2 Samuel 11:26, 27; Psalm 51:4) Indeed, he finds fornication so despicable that he allows it as grounds for divorce. (For a discussion of what fornication involves, refer to Chapter 9, paragraph 7, where fornication is explained.) Jehovah grants the innocent mate the right to decide whether to remain with the guilty partner or to seek a divorce. (Matthew 19:9) Hence, if an innocent mate decides to seek a divorce, that one does not take a step that Jehovah hates. At the same time, however, the Christian congregation does not encourage anyone to seek a divorce. In fact, some circumstances may move the innocent mate to remain with the guilty one, especially if that one is genuinely repentant. In the end, though, those who have a Scriptural basis for divorce must make their own decision and accept whatever consequences it may bring.—Galatians 6:5.

In certain extreme situations, some Christians have decided to separate from or divorce a marriage mate even though that one has not committed fornication. In such a case, the Bible stipulates that the departing one “remain unmarried or else make up again.” (1 Corinthians 7:11) Such a Christian is not free to pursue a third party with a view to remarriage. (Matthew 5:32) Consider here a few exceptional situations that some have viewed as a basis for separation.

Willful nonsupport. A family may become destitute, lacking the basic essentials of life, because the husband fails to provide for them, although being able to do so. The Bible states: “If anyone does not provide for . . . members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” (1 Timothy 5:8) If such a man refuses to change his ways, the wife would have to decide whether she needs to protect her welfare and that of her children by obtaining a legal separation. Of course, Christian elders should give careful consideration to an accusation that a Christian refuses to support his family. Refusal to care for one’s family may result in disfellowshipping.

Extreme physical abuse. An abusive spouse may act so violently that the abused mate’s health and even life are in danger. If the abusive spouse is a Christian, congregation elders should investigate the charges. Fits of anger and a practice of violent behavior are grounds for disfellowshipping.—Galatians 5:19-21

Absolute endangerment of spiritual life. A spouse may constantly try to make it impossible for the mate to pursue true worship or may even try to force that mate to break God’s commands in some way. In such a case, the threatened mate would have to decide whether the only way to “obey God as ruler rather than men” is to obtain a legal separation.—Acts 5:29.

In all cases involving such extreme situations as those just discussed, no one should put pressure on the innocent mate either to separate or to stay with the other. While spiritually mature friends and elders may offer support and Bible-based counsel, they cannot know all the details of what goes on between a husband and a wife. Only Jehovah can see that. Of course, a Christian wife would not be honoring God or the marriage arrangement if she exaggerated the seriousness of her domestic problems just to live separately from her husband, or vice versa. Jehovah is aware of any scheming behind a separation, no matter how one may try to hide it. Indeed, “all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting.” (Hebrews 4:13) But if an extremely dangerous situation persists, no one should criticize a Christian who, as a last resort, chooses to separate. In the final analysis, “we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit