According to bookstudy, it's ok to beat wife.....occassionally

by JWinprotest 110 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    JOHN DOE- You asked, " How many spouses of either sex can say they've never slapped their mate ? " John- Probably a hell of a lot of people have never slapped their mates- male or female. I've never slapped a woman, nor would I ever. It's abuse. Period. Slapping may be acceptable in cultures in the middle east where sadly men denigrate women horribly - but it's usually thought of as abusive in the United States.

I was thinking specifically of women slapping men. Here, it's pretty common, and no one considers it abuse.

However, even if you were to consider it abuse, perhaps we should think about other things that fall into that category. Emotional blackmail is common in many relationships. Emotional abuse through being negative and insulting is also rampant. Not showing the partner respect is common. And, in fact, I would wager that nearly every relationship at one point or another has elements that may be considered abusive. As I said, I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying how it is. People shouldn't run out and get a divorce every time there's an abusive element, especially a passing one that is not the norm. If they did, no one would stay married.

• looking4peace
  • wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Only read the first page here, but the word 'extreme' got my attention other day when someone started the thread with this info in it. My dad always told us growing up that 'once is too much' and that we never had to stand for it and to leave if our future husbands did this. So I have that mentality, that one hit is one too many. The same can be said for mental/emotional abuse. BUT, having grown up with this train of mind, what did I do when my husband subjected me to a few hits and constant emotional abuse? I stayed. I felt I had nowhere to go, even though I'm extremely close to my family. I thought he would change, that he didn't mean it etc.

Eventually HE left, and I have been much happier within myself since. When I told my family the ex had hit me a few times, they just burst into tears. They wondered what they had done to raise a daughter who stayed in such a situation. I assured them it wasn't their fault.

I know MANY sisters who put up with physical abuse. I also know many 'worldly' ones who tolerate the same. I do not however, like the way the emphasis in 'christian' witness marriages says one can separate in cases of 'extreme' physical abuse. It's deplorable.

• looking4peace
    looking4peace

This is precisely the very point that infuriated me and started my realization that JWs are not teaching the truth. Such an idea could not at all come from a loving God and anyone who grew up around abuse or has experienced it personally is not willing to accept such a ridiculous notion. It is disgusting and evil. That is putting it mildly in my opinion. I cannot even begin to relate how upset it makes me to know some will view this as a requirement for life because the "faithful slave" said so. It puts me over the edge.

• 2aTap
    2aTap

I regret to have to say that this thread comes as no surprise to me : 
    - my first introduction to domestic violence occurred just after I started attending the local kingdom hall. (After - not before. While my own -so called "worldly" - parents did not always get on the best, nothing even remotely like that ever happened between them).

The wife in this case was an extremely strong-willed person, and the husband was under fire from the elders for "not exercising his headship." Once, while talking about this situation , I heard one of the elders say that this brother "needed to clobber her". (Those were his exact words).

I, too, remember reading those articles in the WT publications about how a Christian husband is supposed to deal with his wife.

From what I saw happen in practice,though, I would have to agree with the others on this thread who have observed that the JWs pay only lip service to those passages of the bible.

Always stuck vividly in my memory is the fact that I never saw anything like that happen while growing up in a "worldly" family.

• meangirl
    meangirl

To really see how the society views women simply put the WT CD in and look under "women"......sooo very interesting. I did and was completely disgusted! They view women as incapable of making decisions and being more emotional than reasonable and absolutely LOVE to perpretuate that stereotype. They demand women be in subjection to their husbands and go along with the decision "even if they don't agree."......Hmmmmmm sure that is a level playing field......If that is their basic views then why is it so hard to see that abuse of women would be a problem in that organization? Also let's get the facts straight. While I will not deny that women can be abusive in relationships (and I do NOT agree that is okay) domestic violence is an issue that effects more women than men. If you look at this website:

http://www.ndvh.org/get-educated/abuse-in-america/ You will see the follwoing statistic:

• 1 IN 4 WOMEN, 1 IN 9 MEN IN UNITED STATES ARE VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AT SOME POINT IN THEIR LIVES
  • Also if you look under rape under the society CD you will see that at one time the society said that a women should "treat her rapist with respect"........Hmmmmm, if the society expects a woman to treat a man she doesn't even know who is raping her (which probably would include hitting her, gagging her, choking her, slapping her) with RESPECT then why the hell would they would take a situation of a husband abusing his wife as a problem?????? DUH!!!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is never acceptable to beat one's wife (or children). Though there is debate as to whether a spanking is acceptable for children (a spanking is defined as a slap that is designed to generate pain with no injury), it is never acceptable to beat a child (a beating is defined as hitting a child with force that is unreasonably likely to cause physical injury).

If the witlesses think it's acceptable to beat one's wife, they ought to get their priorities straight. Supposing that, for each time someone's wife is beaten and nothing is done about it, I put up one Christmas decoration in the Kingdumb Hell (the size and magnitude depending on the severity of the beating). I bet they would have a cow about the Christmas decorations--which are doing far less harm than the beating that it represents.

• Mary
    Mary
    BluesBrother said: All of us who have been inside the Borg know full well that marital violence is not "OK" among their households..

Marital violence in the Organization is not "encouraged", but it most certainly is rarely, if ever, "punished". The Governing Body members have an extremely backward view of violence towards women and children which is displayed in the literature. As cases like JamieBowers has shown, there is far more concern with "keeping up appearances" of being "the happiest people on earth", rather than helping the victim of domestic violence. Just as they ignored the pedophile problem for decades, they've ignored domestic violence and their attitude is sick, sick, sick. In their warped minds, a marriage certificate gives someone the right to beat their mate if they feel like it, and the mate should just somehow "endure" it, as though they deserve it.

It's nice to know though, that apparently some brothers will not put up with that crap and will do something about it.

rockmehardplace said: we had one guy who would grab his wife by the arm all the time really hard, even in front of people. her dad, an elder, had enough one day and went and confronted him in the back of the kh. well, the brother stated it was his business and no one else's. well, elder dad and a few other brothers decided to meet him after the meeting was over off of kh property. it was never known what happened, but this brother never made face again at the meetings and she left him that night and moved back in with dad. there was always rumors that he got what he once dished out, but there was never two witnesses to step forward and admit anything.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Bluesbrother,

Just how many "isolated incidents" across all jw demographics does there have to be for you to see that the misguided direction for handling spousal abuse comes from the borg itself? I've attended congregations in several States, and have seen abuse handled in the same way. The proof is in the pudding. Take the blinders off! Balance is one thing... denial is quite another.

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

John Doe,

My jw (now) x-husband slapped me once. He was driving at the time, and I was in the passenger seat. I made him pull over and let me out. I went for a long walk and did a lot of thinking. I walked home several hours later. He was already there, beside himself with worry. I made myself perfectly clear. That would be the ONLY time he ever got away with hitting me. I set my boundaries in stone that day, and he never hit me again. Over the years he became increasingly emotionally abusive, however...to both me and the kids. It is the reason I finally divorced him.

I think there are a lot of marriages in which spouses do not hit eachother. When there is real respect for eachother physical abuse is not part of the relationship. The wts' view of women does not encourage husbands to respect their wives..but to control them.

Coffee

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit