Marijuana---Is It That Bad?

by minimus 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Actually marijuana is not addictive.

> Apparently, not everyone agrees:http://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/

It is impossible to become physically addicted to marijuana, however one can become *psychologically* (you believe you need it)... just as one can become "addicted" to video games.

www.video-game-addiction.org

I will admit that if one uses marijuana all day every day for a solid year and then one abruptly quits, one might experience a week of symptoms similar to quitting coffee.

• minimus
    minimus

Pot isn't considered addictive by most experts.

• trueblue
    trueblue

and so is masculine a mental addiction

a drug made from peyote, a drug Indians used to see the spirits. Hard to find now days.

I have an idea that would make it not as bad for smoking MJ would be to make it into a concentrated form that would be THC stronger then Hashish

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

TB did you mean mescaline? It (and just about anything) is not that hard to find

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

From the www.steadyhealth.com website.

Symptoms of quitting cold turkey from regular (daily) pot use can include insomnia, irritability, anxiety, physical tension, mood changes, loss of appetite and headaches.

IMHO

Compared to nicotine addiction these are orders of magnitude less. The brain does funny things when it experiences change.

Goshawk

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Agreed Goshawk. For a drug that has been so villified for so long, it really has minimal (if at all) addictive qualities or side effects. Especially when compared to the legalized, taxed and regulated substances that are so readily available. If I get a few minutes I'll try to round up the info on the history of MJ and it's fall from legality.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The problem of legalizing it might be that the product has grown in strength 10 fold from what it was like back in the 60's.

Another problem is if you do legalize how do control people from not doing things like driving when high.

Being a casual pot smoker for a few years but not now, I've experienced these problems.

I'm not a proponent in legalizing pot for the simple reason that the general population has already substance abuse problems

that are hard to deal with concerning other potentially damaging drugs and alcohol.

• minimus
    minimus

Chocolate is addictive too!

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Almighty, do you instead recommend continuing to pour massive amounts of money into a drug war that doesn't work, ridiculous programs like DARE that don't work, etc?

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

But what is the alternative ?

There are reasons why hard drugs are placed on the illegal distribution list.

Its true that pot is not as damaging as those other drugs but it still can be for a segment of the population.

There are pros and cons for which ever side you look at it.

In reality the best solution would be if it never existed , but we have to deal with reality as it presents itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit