I bet you a dollar Obama wins The Nobel Peace Prize

by wouldacouldashoulda 65 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Question: Does he pocket the prize money, or will he donate it to some worthy charity?

What's the politically correct thing to do?

I'm not familiar with what past winners have done in this regard.

• B-Rock
    B-Rock

These Europeans are again demonstrating their insularity. They do not understand the United States.

http://www.politickerny.com/5603/dear-norway-you-can-shut-now

They are not helping us here.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

He has also stated the money would be donated to charity. Which....I have no idea!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

ACORN could use a $1.4 million donation.

However, I'm guessing the money is not tax-free, so Timmy Boy at the Treasury will get more than 50% of it, right?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Michael Moore: Congratulations President Obama on the Nobel Peace Prize -- Now Please Earn it!

Dear President Obama,

How outstanding that you've been recognized today as a man of peace. Your swift, early pronouncements -- you will close Guantanamo, you will bring the troops home from Iraq, you want a nuclear weapon-free world, you admitted to the Iranians that we overthrew their democratically-elected president in 1953, you made that great speech to the Islamic world in Cairo, you've eliminated that useless term "The War on Terror," you've put an end to torture -- these have all made us and the rest of the world feel a bit more safe considering the disaster of the past eight years. In eight months you have done an about face and taken this country in a much more sane direction.

But...

The irony that you have been awarded this prize on the 2nd day of the ninth year of what is quickly becoming your War in Afghanistan is not lost on anyone. You are truly at a crossroads now. You can listen to the generals and expand the war (only to result in a far-too-predictable defeat) or you can declare Bush's Wars over, and bring all the troops home. Now. That's what a true man of peace would do.

There is nothing wrong with you doing what the last guy failed to do -- capture the man or men responsible for the mass murder of 3,000 people on 9/11. BUT YOU CANNOT DO THAT WITH TANKS AND TROOPS. You are pursuing a criminal, not an army. You do not use a stick of dynamite to get rid of a mouse.

The Taliban is another matter. That is a problem for the people of Afghanistan to resolve -- just as we did in 1776, the French did in 1789, the Cubans did in 1959, the Nicaraguans did in 1979 and the people of East Berlin did in 1989. One thing is certain through all revolutions by people who wish to be free -- they ultimately have to bring about that freedom themselves. Others can be supportive, but freedom can not be delivered from the front seat of someone else's Humvee.

You have to end our involvement in Afghanistan now. If you don't, you'll have no choice but to return the prize to Oslo.

Yours,
    Michael Moore
    [email protected]
    MichaelMoore.com

P.S. Your opposition has spent the morning attacking you for bringing such good will to this country. Why do they hate America so much? I get the feeling that if you found the cure for cancer this afternoon they'd be denouncing you for destroying free enterprise because cancer centers would have to close. There are those who say you've done nothing yet to deserve this award. As far as I'm concerned, the very fact that you've offered to walk into the minefield of hate and try to undo the irreparable damage the last president did is not only appreciated by me and millions of others, it is also an act of true bravery. That's why you got the prize. The whole world is depending on the U.S. -- and you -- to literally save this planet. Let's not let them down.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mikes-letter/congratulations-president-obama-nobel-peace-prize-now-please-earn-it

• JeffT
    JeffT

It will be intersting to see what he does with the money. By IRS rules it is a gift and not taxable. However their are other types or restrictions on what the President can accept.

A lot of prize winners put the money into whatever they were doing, be it reasearch or charity. My Dad gave his share of the prize money to the staff at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I believe he's going to reject it.

No. He did not seek it, but the Nobel Committee gave him this prize and he is donating the money to charity (hopefully the free health clinics in Blue Dog states).

Obama has inspired people around with the world to hope that the US is at last working toward peaceful solutions to global problems, rather than continuing the hostile stance of the previous administration. Perhaps it is just that simple.

It is the criticism of the Nobel Committee's selection that is denigrating to previous winners.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Reporter on Radio 4 in the uk said " he basically got it for not being Bush" I pmsl

• AGuest
    AGuest

how does a leader of a country at war with 2 other countries win a 'Peace' award?!

Perhaps by openly and unabashedly talking of a desire to END them (remember, he didn't start 'em)? Do the rules say one has to bring ABOUT peace... or work TOWARD peace? I don't think I've seen too many American leaders, save Mr. Obama, talking about "talking" to the rest of the world, including America's "enemies," in the very near past (ummmm... ever??).

Don't get me wrong, I don't tout Mr. Obama over any other man: he's just that, a man. Perhaps he'll bring about "peace"... perhaps he won't. Perhaps he'll be the impetus to get "it" started. Maybe not. It will short-lived anyway... because we are, all of us, after all, still "earthling man" and OUR "peace" is purely relative: somebody, somewhere is going to want something that someone else already has. Be it land, oil, gold, diamonds, power, whathaveyou.

As for the nomination occurring only two weeks after he began office, that's not SO suprising to me: I think (and every black person here will agre with me)... he most probably won it... for his COURAGE. I know some of you don't understand what it might have taken for him to run... but I promise you, the thought that he might be assassinated was probably VERY present in his mind... and his wife's. That is the reason many have NOT ran... since the death of MLK; way too much at risk (and please, please... don't refer me to Jesse; it's not the same thing at all!)

The TRUTH is that the rest of the world (and, apparently, the country) pretty much hated Bush and believed McCain would only be an extension of him. And even if they liked Bill, they weren't all that fond of Hillary (particularly the Muslim world, which doesn't take kindly to women with cahones!). Or, could be that someone wanted to nominate him before his election, based on his civil rights works here in this country (which I am sure a lot of you knew very little about), and/or political platform. I mean, "world" peace isn't the only thing other countries are looking at, given America's self-appointed "keeper of the world" designation. America is one of the very few countries where the same cultural divide has existed from day one (other countries have them, but they change and come and go), and maybe they see Mr. Obama as an end to that. Or the beginning of the end. Maybe they see him as the beginning of world peace... by starting at home, in his OWN backyard (ooh, did she say that??)

Or... maybe the award wasn't FOR Mr. Obama, per se... but more to the American people, for taking a chance and electing him (I mean, has he really done worse than the couple/few before him... yet?)... symbolized by being given TO Mr. Obama. Maybe some in the world see his election as the "change" the rest of the world IS hoping to see in America. If you pay attention, you will that every one is joping for change... except, of course... some Americans.

He's a man, dear ones. Earthling man. They all are. And they all will have some successess... and some failures. That's what being "earthling" man is all about: imperfection, limitations, and fallibility.

I bid you peace (and apologize if I didn't "stand up" as much for Mr. Bush but, seriously, I really couldn't. He was a man, true, just as Mr. Obama, but he was also a total idiot. And I don't say that because of his policies... or his words ('nook-u-leer'). I say that because "they" only chose HIM... so that HE would choose Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Carl Rove to "rule" with him. And he did. True, Timothy Geitner may have some responsibility with regard to the Wall Street fiasco, but again, a lot of that was human error, based on poor speculation. But have you ever bothered to read up on those three other characters? Talk about your "horror" stories!)

Anyway, peace to you all! slave of Christ,

SA

• VIII
    VIII

"The whole world is depending on the U.S. -- and you -- to literally save this planet. Let's not let them down."

I thought that was Al Gore's job. Won't Obama be stepping on his toes?

Michael *Capitalist Pig* Moore, I wonder when he is going to be a Nutrisystemâ„¢ Spokesmen? I bet he'd make a bundle pushing their product!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit