I bet you a dollar Obama wins The Nobel Peace Prize

by wouldacouldashoulda 65 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I personally wish he wouldn't use the teleprompter when accepting the award.

Rub a Dub

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Apparently, this is another manifestation of the Bush backlash:

The award appeared to be at least partly a slap at Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage.

"You have to remember that the world has been in a pretty dangerous phase," Jagland said. "And anybody who can contribute to getting the world out of this situation deserves a Nobel Peace Prize ."

Congratulations, Mr. Obama.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leaving

Once they gave this character one of those awards, it just didn't mean very much to me.

I agree!

The $1 million+ prize money would be sweet, however.

Yasser Arafat, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, and Obama.

As poor as I am it would take alot more than a million dollars to get me to stand next to any one of them.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

<snip>

"President Shimon Peres paid tribute Friday to U.S. President Barack Obama, the winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, saying that his leadership had meant "peace became a real and original agenda."

Obama was named as the recipient of the prize earlier Friday, for giving the world "hope for a better future" and for striving for nuclear disarmament.

In a letter to Obama, fellow peace prize laureate Peres wrote that, "Very few leaders if at all were able to change the mood of the entire world in such a short while with such profound impact."

Peres won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994, along with slain prime minister Yitzhak Rabin and late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, for their efforts to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak also expressed his support Friday for the Nobel committee's decision to award the prize to Obama, and praised the U.S. president's efforts to bring peace to the Middle East.

Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin (Likud) was less enthusiastic at the Nobel committee's decision, saying that "it's very strange that Obama won."

He added his concern that "it is possible that he might force Israel into a peace deal now that he has won the award."

more

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Lets see what happens when Israel bombs Iran.

• snowbird
    snowbird

James 4:13 God is in charge of deciding human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others? MSG

Please overlook this, Dinah.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82
    The award appeared to be at least partly a slap at Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage.
    "You have to remember that the world has been in a pretty dangerous phase," Jagland said. "And anybody who can contribute to getting the world out of this situation deserves a Nobel Peace Prize."

That's it in a nutshell. Mortimer Snerd would have won the prize this year if he had been elected president after Bush Jr.

Bush Jr. made the world a far more dangerous place, giving America's enemies much more reason to work harder at striking. Just the slightest hint that the same policies would not be followed by the next administration would be sufficient to win it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Obama, simply by being elected, was a measure of progressiveness that the rest of the world began to see

If that is true, they should have given it to the American people.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    That's it in a nutshell. Mortimer Snerd would have won the prize this year if he had been elected president after Bush Jr.
    Bush Jr. made the world a far more dangerous place, giving America's enemies much more reason to work harder at striking. Just the slightest hint that the same policies would not be followed by the next administration would be sufficient to win it.

Some of what you've said I can agree with.

I do, however, seriously doubt that John McCain would have been given a Nobel Peace Prize, simply for "not being Bush". (Even if he were also presiding over two wars, and killing folks in Pakistan with hellfire missiles from drones.)

What can we say? It's nice being The One.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Yasser Arafat, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, and Obama.
    As poor as I am it would take alot more than a million dollars to get me to stand next to any one of them.

Deputy Dog ...

Come on now. I'd love to meet Al Gore.

Afterall, we may not be chatting here today if Al Gore hadn't invented the internet.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit